FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Thumbs up Congratulations England

Jubilation in London, shock in Paris after an Olympic-sized upset. Paris was seen as the frontrunner, but London will host the 2012 Olympic Games. The official news came about one hour after New York found out it had been voted out in the second round in Singapore.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber

So, France "surrendered" the 2012 Olympics to Great Britain?
    Figures.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank god....another defeat for Doomberg! F-him and his billionaire buddies attempt at using another sport/sporting event as a land grab for his developer buddies.

What highrises and zoning changes have to do with putting staduiums on the West side and Prospect Heights Brooklyn I'll never know.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Good job! France just had the world cup they dont need the olympics.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

I'm so glad NYC didn't get the games. It's hard enough as is to move around in the tri-state area throw the Olympics in with that and I would have had to take my vacation during that time. Plus it's well known that hosting the Olympics is a money loss for almost all the cities, and New York doesn't need the added plublicity it's doing fine on it's own.
    Piscataway Fire Dist #2
    Possumtown V.F.C.

Forum Member

So, France "surrendered" the 2012 Olympics to Great Britain?

Another in a long list.

Tanker
    I.A.C.O.J. Firefighter/EMT-B

"I'm gonna drill a hole in your skull and pump out all the stupidity"
    Gunny Ermey

"Never underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

Polishing the Chrome on all the IACOJ "apparati"

Forum Member

Woopie! Good for England. Keep that over on the other side of the ocean.

Hillary probably screwed NY out of getting it or either Bloomburg!!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Anywhere but FRANCE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank's Gang....
    That part of London is where I grew up and have served my career. Some of the East End near the river was developed about 15 years ago with Canary Wharf and all the other 'Wall Street on water' stuff. But further north, there hadn't been much in the way of change since the war apart from faceless 60's Housing Projects and 'lower end' industry such as small factories and Junk yards and a massive Rail shunting yard. I will stand in an olympic village remembering standing at burning junks yards in the middle of steaming summer nights 20 or so years earlier, right on the same spot.

It will be good that finally this 'forgotten' part of the East End is getting some much needed life breathed into it. Newham the Borough in which most of the site will be built is one of the poorest ares in Europe. Hackney, to the North of the site is the Gun crime capital of the UK...My Fire Station is in a road called 'Murder Mile' about a mile from the top edge of the Olympic area.

No one from London really believed in the bid early on... Naturally most of us weren't in favour of the Paris bid because of our perpetually bad relationship with the French. But most Londoners thought NYC was worthy of the Olympics because of 9/11... an example of the true recovery of a city.

But our bid looked better and better, we began to look like serious competitors and instead of what appeared to be French Arrogance there was a real feeling of the Legacy for the future, for what it would do to UK sport, so people began to get behind it.

I never thought we would win, then in the last couple of days the French started to get real nasty....people really got the old 'Bulldog Spirit' going... the good Old British way has come good again...

We were known as the sick man of Europe by many other Europeans...But, we stood by our guns, we kept our Pounds, we kept our miles and other imperial measurements, we kept our sovereignty...Our ecomony is strong, employment is high and our policies seem to have paid off. Yet our 'Neighbours' who pour scorn on our independence and our links and preference for those who speak our Language that are 3000 miles away opposed to 20 miles away suddenly don't look so happy... they are tired of the 'European way' they don't trust their leaders and they are falling apart around themselves.

Yes, today is a good day to be British, we have stood tall among other Europeans Countries as they have argued and fought in recent months, now we have another reason to be proud.

Thank you to all those other Countries who saw our potential and humble dreams for an olympics for future generations.
    Last edited by SteveDude; 07-06-2005 at 06:41 PM.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

IACOJ BOD

Hey Steve.

Does that mean the "Barmy Army" will get a new venue?

They are down here at the moment for the Lions Rugby tour, Talk about miles of camper-vans at every venue and MUCH drinking of Ales.

We did see on the news where Christchurch had set up a large enclosure especailly for the suporters vans for the first test. The sign on the fence was

"Lions Camper Van Parking"

("Please do not throw food, or put your hands through the mesh")

PS. NZ All Blacks 2, Lions 0. Want to make a bet for the third test on Saturday?

Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ahhh, C'Mon Kiwi....your'e killing me here. I'm meant to be celebrating and you remind me of the All Blacks thing!!!
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Forum Member

Default Tell me about it!

Steve--at least you are 13000 miles away. I'm right in the middle of it all--and have had to take a fair bit of stick. The one thing that makes me proud tho is the "Barmy Army"--no trouble with anyone, and as yet,no arrests, unlike fans of the round ball game.

Flying Kiwi--it is very galling to invent a game then teach it to you lot, and then get bloody well beaten by you b#stards!

Please, American friends do not be alarmed--over here, being called a "B#stard" is a term of endearment.
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

Forum Member

Im just happy that the surrender monkies didnt win. It would have done too much for their arrogance.

Oh and i would also like to congratulate the poms for giving the aussies a run for our money in the one-day cricket series. At least you managed to do okay in your own sport. Never know, some day you might teach us colonial convicts a few things.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Banned

That celebrations were short lived my thoughts go out to all who are dead or injured in the terrorist attack on london this morning

Forum Member

Originally posted by pengman
    That celebrations were short lived
    Yea really. That didn't last too long. Although I suppose France & NYC are no longer upset about losing....
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Thread Information