Thread: LED Lights

Forum Member

Question LED Lights

Anyone have any opinions on LED lights and lightbars? We are working on a new truck and a few of us have some hesitations about the intensity of the LEDS. I personally don't think they still stand up to a good set of rotators or strobes. They fit good in the place of halogen warning lights but more than that, I don't think they have the intensity yet. Let me know what you guys think.

Forum Member

I don't know about on apparatus, but i was one of the strongest doubters until i saw the new cheif's set of LED's on top of his car. This LED lightbar is INSANELY AWESOME! It is really, really nice looking and works very well as far as i can tell. I have seen it only at night, however, but hear it works just as well during the day. I'm a fan of the big stuff on the aparatus (rotators, etc) because the LEDS do have the very slim look, but i'd love to see a picture if you guys do decide to go with it.

We love our LED's and wish we had the money to replace all of our lightbars with LED bars. They're brighter, more easily visible in daylight (whereas strobes are not as bright in the day time as halogens are) and one of the biggest advantages, wear/tear and low amperage.

/john
    --
    John Holstein, Asst. Chief
    Danville Volunteer Fire Department
    www.danvillevfd.com

Forum Member

Talking leds

After going from the old rotaters to the strobes we are going to be moving forward to the new LEDS. I won't say what brand because of toes that get hurt. Suffice it to say that the LEDS that have the power supply built in as part of the light assembly, with no outside power supply, are the best and easiest. As long as they meet NFPA we will have them. I am tired of tracing where the power supplies for the strobes are, along with the wiring. The rotators always vbibrate themselves to pieces. Our next ordered units will be LED from top to bottom and front to back. Some technology is good if it abides by the KISS method.

MembersZone Subscriber

All of out new apparatus and staff vehicles have LED's. The first generation light bars are bright, but not as bright as the newest one we have been purchasing.

They are bright in the daylight and nighttime. The shop has been replacing fewer alternators. The only issue we have is in the winter time when snow stick to them. They dont enough heat to keep the snow melted off, so we have to scrap em off from time to time.

But we can live with that for the other benefits.
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

Go with Whelen LEDs..... You won't regret it........

Try the search feature, also. It's been discussed quite a few times on here.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't share the good remarks the other have about LEDS, we only have one set in the whole fleet. The LEDS we have are on our new brush truck, in the grill and the rear warning lights. The ones on the front get blurred out by the Halagon rotators on the roof, the rear ones do alright but need a different flash pattern to be more effective.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just the savings in power used is worth the time to look into these. The new Whelen LED bars are VERY intense. Our new staff vehicles have them and the next two pumpers will also. My biggest concern was daytime, and if the sunlight would wash them out. They are actually brighter than the strobe packages. Only have had them for about two years on various applications, but so far no problems.

Forum Member

Well a person my chief works with,his company recently got their new truck. The lights aren't on but here's a front view with their LED Lightbar
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Another LED Pic
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

We are getting all new apparatus with LED systems and really like them. The third generation of LED's are out and I think they put strobes to shame and halogen too. One of the engines that we run with all the time had an old lightbar and was then refurbised with an all LED lighting package. At night making runs with them it actually hurt your eyes to look straight at them. All told, however, the most effective lighting package is one that combines more than one type of lighting.

Hey EngCo29, that first pic you posted is one sweet looking engine. (Of course, I'm biased as it is one of three being delivered to my dept.)

I can't really comment on the effectiveness of the LED lighting package, since the new engines are our first apparatus with LEDs, and they are not yet in service. My company's engine will be the last one delivered, and probably won't be placed in service until sometime in August.

What I do know is that the lighting package on the new engines is entirely LED; the only non-LED lights on the truck are the headlights and the scene lighting. I'd personally rather have some sort of combination of lights, but I'm sure the all LED package will function just fine. I'll post an update once I've had a chance to work with the new apparatus a bit.
    Lt. John Millili
    DFD Battalion 3 - Cooper St. Station

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

LEDs are the way to go. We changed out the strobes on our Rescue with Whelen LEDs. We have one set of 6x9 strobes on the rear with a set of the 6x9 LEDs also and the LEDs drowned the strobes out. I am thinking of changing our strobes on our Sutphen Engine over to LEDs. It has had electrical problems for years and I think reducing the load might help it out a little.
    Our new Pierce Tower is coming with a full Whelen LED package.
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Originally posted by Ladder93Tower
    Hey EngCo29, that first pic you posted is one sweet looking engine. (Of course, I'm biased as it is one of three being delivered to my dept.)

I can't really comment on the effectiveness of the LED lighting package, since the new engines are our first apparatus with LEDs, and they are not yet in service. My company's engine will be the last one delivered, and probably won't be placed in service until sometime in August.

What I do know is that the lighting package on the new engines is entirely LED; the only non-LED lights on the truck are the headlights and the scene lighting. I'd personally rather have some sort of combination of lights, but I'm sure the all LED package will function just fine. I'll post an update once I've had a chance to work with the new apparatus a bit.

Haha, is she in service yet?

Forum Member

Lightbulb

All of the LED's, strobes and rotating lights don't mean squat unless the driver of the rig actually knows how to drive the rig safely and the public pays attention when they are driving!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Talking leds

C'mon CaptGonzo you don't really expect people to notice you do you? I don't care if you set the rig on fire and place a light on every square inch. If the windows are up and the music is on with the a/c or heater fan and the cell phone in the ear do you think they are thinking about what's happening?

MembersZone Subscriber

Gonzo, lvwrench is right, you could put landing lights from a 747 and two spotlights from police helicopters and some don't pay attention. The thread is not about driver safety it is about bright lights.

But seriously I agree with Gonzo, lights don't mean safety it is about the driver. You gotta get there, to get it done. Don't count on the public, when you do they usually let you down.
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

Default led's

we too are looking at a new truck and the led lightbars we are looking at the new federal viewpoint w/led's saw them on a demo they were real bright in the daytime i would have no concerns with their intensity! that is the only led lightbar that i have seen real well during the day!
    michael umphrey
    captain higgins twp fire/rescue/ems
    roscommon,mi

Forum Member

Default Re: led's

Originally posted by mic409
    we too are looking at a new truck and the led lightbars we are looking at the new federal viewpoint w/led's saw them on a demo they were real bright in the daytime i would have no concerns with their intensity! that is the only led lightbar that i have seen real well during the day!
    Do the LED Viewpoints move at all? Ive only seen them on Federals website but there is very little info. We have Vectors or Viewpoints on all our rigs and are working on specs for an engine. We want to go with LEDs but would like to continue with the Viewpoints.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

We have just received a new Horton Medic unit with all LED Everything- lightbar, flashers, taillight turnsignals, the works. We are very pleased with the intensity of the LEDs they are super bright. The LED option for the unit came out to about $4000 extra but with the lower amp draw on the electrical system, lowered maintenance by not having to replace bulbs and the fact that the crews don't have to mess with taking the lens covers off to replace bulb (where most of our damage comes from) the cost is well worth it. Most of our crews like LEDS better than the strobes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default viewpoint

they don't have any rotaters they just took they same pods has the halogen viewpoint and put two led lines in them it is hard to explain but it is nice we are looking at a 4-pod system it is real nice we saw it on a very sunny day no clouds and it was amazing we saw it from up to 100yrds away i was shocked at the intensity! we have no other federal lights on any trucks all code 3, my father is actually a code 3 dealer so there is no bias for federal.
    michael umphrey
    captain higgins twp fire/rescue/ems
    roscommon,mi

MembersZone Subscriber

Take a look at Tomar. I have Police friend that swears by them. If you look at their warranty on their strobe (I believe they call them NEOBE) packs - they have a 10 yr warranty and yes I know we are talking LEDs. From the video link below these guys make some valid points.

http://www.tomar.com/austin-video.html

MembersZone Subscriber

LED's are a great thing for our business. Less cost to replace bulbs, less amp draw, less part to replace (as in flashers, power supplies), generally we don't have to mess with them. I feel that Whelen has the better LED's. More intense and a wider angle that the light comes of the head. We got LED's on our new engine, everywhere except the front lightbar. Two things I wish I knew then that I know now. The first, get white lenses on the light head. The LED's themselves are colored when the flash, so no need to put a colored lense on them. It just cuts down on the intensity of them. The second, unless you have scene light on the back of the vehichle that come on in reverse get halogen back up lights. The white LED's on ours look bluish purple, not really white. Now our LED's are a 1 1/2 old so the new whites may be actually white. Just something to think about. One other thing, not really a problem for us, but I could see where it could be. If you live in an area that has lots of snow the lights do not put of enough heat to keep the lenses melted clean.

Forum Member

The second, unless you have scene light on the back of the vehichle that come on in reverse get halogen back up lights.
    You bring up a good point and something that Ive noticed. When it comes to strobe or halogen, white (clear) lights are much more intense then any of the "colors". But thats not the case with LEDs, or at least not when it comes to red.

A couple rigs in my area have red & white LEDs on the front, as well as quite a few PD cars that have red/blue/white LED bars. Ive had a chance to see them many times, in many different light conditions, and theres no apparent difference in intensity between white and the red, but a bit more then with blue.

This is the same thing Ive noticed with amber LEDs. Not as intense as red or white. Our 2002 quint has red and amber LEDs on the sides and you can see the red at a greater distance then the amber.

The way it stands now, I would say go with red and clear LEDs and amber halogen or strobe. If you use blue, go with halogen or strobe for that as well. As for back-up and scene lights, stick with halogen.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Default One complaint for those of you up north

I have heard reports that the LED bars don't generate enough heat to keep them clear on those cold winter days / nights with the snow coming down. This could pose a potential problem... anyone else hear of or experience that?
    Ian "Eno" McLeod

Train Hard, Fight Easy

Thread Information