Thread: Gas Price BS!

Forum Member

Default Gas Price BS!

What the heck does gas prices and the attacks on london have to do with eachother?

Once those bombs went off the gas prices went from 2.10-2.32. Talk about raping at the pump.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

There are four gas stations in town, all right in a row, about a block apart. They were always 2 cents different. For 28 years, they were 2 cents less or higher than the one next to it. Until this week.

On Monday they were all $2.18

Last night at 8pm, they were all 2:20.

This morning at 6am; Exxon, Sunoco and Mobil were $2.36 and BP was 2.38.

Sixteen to Eighteen cent rise in less than 24 hours?

I'm glad I got gas last night, who knows what it will be tomorrow.

Forum Member

Yesterday gas was 1.94 now today it is 2.18 in South
    Texas.I'm glad I filled up that big Suburban on Tuesday.
    I guess I will have to limit my driving for awhile if gas
    prices go up any higher.The man on the news said prices
    would be about 2.75 by summers end.

MembersZone Subscriber

How about $2.50 for diesel? I am glad I only fill up once every three weeks!

Forum Member

I just payed $2.38 today...Up from $2.18 last week...I asked the clerk which arm and which leg she wanted...due to the fact that I don't and probably will not have a 1st born child any time soon....She didn't find it too funny
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Forum Member

Originally posted by LeuitEFDems
    I just payed $2.38 today...Up from $2.18 last week...I asked the clerk which arm and which leg she wanted...due to the fact that I don't and probably will not have a 1st born child any time soon....She didn't find it too funny
    As a gas attendant myself, I can assure you, we don't find it at all funny. We used to have the normal bitchers, but this day and age everyone is making a little comment whenever we hand them their receipt or tell them how much cash. It gets annoying real quick....especially with all of the retards that we have to deal with in the first place...

Forum Member

Gas prices are so rediculous...I remember seeing $1.97 down near LBI and I was like thats cheap gas...around here I saw it was $1.18 yesturday.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by FDNY101TRUCK
    ...around here I saw it was $1.18 yesturday.
    You do mean $2.18 don't you? If you have gas that cheap everyone would be headed to jersey! Me included! With every gas can I could get my hands on!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down Couple of things...................

NOTHING in the world tees me off more than Gas prices. Two things here:

1. DO NOT hassle the clerks, even the business owners. They DO NOT control gas prices. Harrass the Oil Companies.

2. Start sending emails, real mail, phone calls, anything, to ALL elected Officials AT EVERY LEVEL. Does your local dog catcher control gas prices? Of course not. BUT, If you Tell EVERY ELECTED OFFICIAL, FROM THE PRESIDENT OF THE U.S. DOWN TO THE DOG CATCHER, THAT YOU WILL NEVER VOTE FOR THEM AGAIN, FOR ANYTHING, THEY WILL DO SOMETHING. I am mailing letters to every incumbent that holds a position that will appear on a Ballot where I vote. The message is simple. Gas prices do not come back down, you do not get my vote. Period. End of Story.

The American people CAN do something!!
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

It is basic economic theories at work on the micro and macro levels. OPEC and others with the ability won't raise production levels to the increased levels of demand. That makes the wholesale price high to begin with on the macro-level. Except to force OPEC to produce more at gun point their is not much any government official can do on that front. The local variations are basic micro-economic principles in action. Each gas station is going to set the price per gallon at a point tht covers their expenses while taking advantage of what they have available to drive as many customers to thier pumps over their local competators, this can be the percieved quality of their brand and/or the cheaper price per gallon. Because wholesale prices have been fluctuateing recently you will see bigger differences at local pumps because the stations don't want to sell at a loss, or are prohibited to sale at a loss by local or state law. If everyone got their fuel delivered on the same day at the same wholesale prices you would see more consistancy between local stations. But since the Monday delivery to store A might have been much cheaper then the Thurday delivery to store B, you will see that the stores are selling at a much bigger difference then normal, and store B will be dependent on their quality and reputation to make up for the price difference. Other then taxing the crap out of gas and driving prices a lot higher like in Europe and other places in the world, which will lower demand but not prices; or dropping the gas tax which will increace demand while cutting prices on a very short term before they self increase again; there is really not much the government can do about it other then let market forces run their natural course, and try to keep people/suppliers from gouge each other with unfair trade practices.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Originally posted by Berks2Montco84

As a gas attendant myself, I can assure you, we don't find it at all funny. We used to have the normal bitchers, but this day and age everyone is making a little comment whenever we hand them their receipt or tell them how much cash. It gets annoying real quick....especially with all of the retards that we have to deal with in the first place...
    Berks-I should have clairified...I knew the clerk and said it in an obviously joking manner...She said she'd laugh any other time I would have said it, but she had the "priveledge" of updating the sighns and getting bitched at by customers as she was doing it...
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Angry And......................

Dennis... Thanks for the view from an economic standpoint, (No sarcasim intended) But I think there are several things to consider. If we, the American people, want something bad enough, we'll get it. Armed intervention with OPEC? I'm game. I said, years ago, that we should have bulldozed the middle east into one big flat beach, population zero. There is no doubt in my mind that they would do it to us, if they could. And, U.S. Environmental laws need to be changed. America needs new refineries and additional refinery capacity now, but none are being built because of all the EPA BS. A special note to California: You need to understand that there are 50 states in this great nation, not just yours. Your Extreme policies are hurting the rest of us. You MUST adopt Environmental policies in line with the rest of us. No cars with "California Emissions" systems, no "Designer" Gasoline blends, and all the other stuff that goes with those two items. If you want to cut down on pollution, adopt some more stringent Fire Codes. Require Building setbacks from Natural Cover Fuels and Ban Wood Shingles. Brush Fires Do Not have to burn homes, and wouldn't, with proper preventative measures. PLEASE NOTE that I do not mean to belittle the work of the California Fire Service people, they've sought a wood shingle ban for decades. They're doing the best they can. Other Measures, Nationwide, to cut down on fuel use should be adopted. The Transportation Industry needs a Total Overhaul. No Tractor Trailer trucks should be running over a couple of hundred miles, for any reason. The Trailer needs to go cross country? Put it on a train. One Truck Tractor pulling one Trailer uses 20 gallons of Diesel per hour, but one Locomotive using 200 Gallons per hour can haul 80 trailers. Fuel savings for hauling Truck trailers on trains are huge. Same for people. Amtrak can do the same thing, and show similar savings over Air Travel. Public Transit. Yeah, I know. Terrorists blow up subways. If they want you, they'll get you, even if you walk to work. But then, living close enough to be able to walk to work would save a lot of gas. Personal Opinion, the days of people commuting astronomical distances is going to come to an end soon. A friend currently drives 105 miles one way, each shift (Day on, 3 off) He's looking at early retirement, or moving back to his old home until he decides to retire. Telecommuting is also on the rise. Times are changing.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Default Raped twice

$2.15 to $2.22 in four minutes with Hurricane Denis on its way, damm crooks at that station will not get any of my money. While not a price gouge, it shore does help yhose wise residents trying to get out of the way, and I am sure I will not be the only one to rember, that they raised it before evacuations.

Forum Member

That hurricane Dennis angle was on the news the other night. They said"expect to see a gas price increase nationwide, due to the fear that the hurricane may damage the refineries in the south." I can't imagine a price increase due to fear of something that might happen. At the time of that report, they hadn't even nailed down where it would hit. Diesel went from 2.39 to 2.51 over night. And I'm not convinced that the diesel in Maine even gets refined on the south shore. ??
    There goes the neighborhood.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Rossco
    That hurricane Dennis angle was on the news the other night. They said"expect to see a gas price increase nationwide, due to the fear that the hurricane may damage the refineries in the south." I can't imagine a price increase due to fear of something that might happen. At the time of that report, they hadn't even nailed down where it would hit. Diesel went from 2.39 to 2.51 over night. And I'm not convinced that the diesel in Maine even gets refined on the south shore. ??
    Why can't you imagine a price increase due to the potential for a drop in production? Do you never stock up on things when their might be a future shortage? It is real basic economics. People stockpile items as a precaution, in this case wholesalers are buying oil/gas, this raises demand temporarily so folks are willing to pay a little more to insure that they can get the product they want/need, thus the price goes up. What would happen if these folks did not stockpile in advance of a possible disaster, and the worst fears came true? Little fuel would be available, and then you would REALLY see some sky rocketing prices.

While it sucks to pay double for a product then we were used to paying 2-4 years ago, gas is still 3-5 dollars a gallon cheap here then in Europe and most of Asia. It sucks, but it is not yet really that bad. We had just been paying super low prices for almost 25 years, we were lulled into a feeling of entitlement to cheap abundent energy. Most likely those days will return in the next 3-4 years.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

hwoods,

.You’re right in your opinions. The U.S. refinery capacity is way below where it needs to be. Seems no one wants a refinery in his or her area. In Michigan, there is only one refinery left anymore. This is also true for drilling areas. The fact that China is consuming oil at a 17-20% increase every year will not help lower prices. If they keep it up they will be consuming oil at a level not even seen in this country in another 5 years (supply and demand) big demand and the supply is not keeping up. The pumping rigs in the gulf were all shut down because of the storms and are not presently pumping any crude out (this is a wait and see deal until the storms pass). Don't forget the federal and state taxes added on to the price per gallon. Woods mentioned the environmentalists, he is correct. Everyone wants the oil but large amounts of people fight the exploration side. We have become too dependent on foreign oil, when we could be drilling for our own. I also believe that there are commodity speculators out there that aren't helping the situation either. The speculators can cause a rise any time they want (they drove August futures up to over 61 dollars a barrel just the other day). I don't think you'll see trucks go away at all. It would cost hundreds of billions to replace the tracks that are infamous for being in disrepair. It would also be a loooong time before they could ever complete the replacement of tracks. Good idea but unfeasible right now. It's a combination of many things and there will probably be no relief in the near future.

Forum Member

Your right, but I wants to be lulled some more. LOL

Actually I can imagine the price increase. It's hard sometimes, when we small business people try to put these things into perspective. It seems as though any reason is a good enough reason to go up.

I have always wondered why gas prices are so high in countries right next to most of the oil.
    There goes the neighborhood.

Forum Member

I work part time at a gas station as an attendant, and it seems like EVERY customer complains about the price, and how we must make so much money off the prices.

Sorry to say folks, most gas stations are lucky if they make five cents a gallon. We lose money pumping gas, but if we want the facility we are at (leased facility), it must be a full service station, period. The money that's lost from pumping gas is made up by an overworked and exhausted mechanic at the end of the day.

*Long sigh*

Yesterday, I had a guy pull up to the island and ask me to fill it up. Black Ford pickup with a cover on the rear end. I asked what grade he wanted, and he just said "regular, and fill it up". I started pumping gas into his truck, and he saw me, and never said a word. The only words to me were "Regular, and fill it up" from him the whole time. Once I finished pumping the gas into the the trucks tank, which ended up around being $44, he then told me that he wanted his 5 gallon gas can filled, not his truck. He ended up only having to pay for the small gas can to be filled up, and the $44 of gas in his tank? Well, it came out of my pocket.

MembersZone Subscriber

Gas stations should not be allowed to change prices during operating hours. Here's why:

Let's say JimBob's Filling Station pays $1.50 a galllon for wholesale gas. Let's also say that he regularly charges $2.00 a gallon to customers. Let's say Alraghead terrorizes something and everyone gets scared. JimBob thinks he can take advantage and raise gas prices to $2.35 a gallon. JimBob was making $.50 a gallon, but now he's making $.85 a gallon just becuase he raised the price when something happened.

My point is that JimBob pays a certain price for wholesale gas. When something happens, JimBob ups his price. He's not paying any more for the gas, so why should you?
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

MembersZone Subscriber

What about the 24-hour gas stations....

Forum Member

it is a twist...............Res343 has a truthful statement...........as my brother worked for an full service station in HS and it is true, when it comes to gas they dont make much money. Which leads me to Josh's post, if the tanks truck deleivers gas at X amount, and you lets say are making 5 cents /gal, how then with the same tanker load of gas you paid "x" for then get jacked up to "Y" this amount ? That I dont get which why it feels like we are getting screwed. And here we are complainin about this http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...&highlight=gas

discussion about http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...&highlight=gas

where will it end ? Busses and mopeds for everyone ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

They should be regulated at how much of a jump they can do. Something like 5 or 10 cents every 4 or 8 hours.

Forum Member

Originally posted by LeuitEFDems

Berks-I should have clairified...I knew the clerk and said it in an obviously joking manner...She said she'd laugh any other time I would have said it, but she had the "priveledge" of updating the sighns and getting bitched at by customers as she was doing it...
    Most of our customers say it in a joking manner too. It's the fact that every single person has to make a comment/joke about how much it costs which is annoying. It's even worse when they make a rude comment about it. Recently we've had people challenge the price and say that our pumps aren't calculating it right.

Res343cue is completely right, I think we only make around 3 cents for every gallon. On one slow night I calculated it, and it didn't come out to all that much, not even counting expenses. Luckily, we have a fairly busy garage that makes up for it, but like Res343cue said, that's the work of three overworked mechanics, one of which is the owner...

Also, the only times we change our prices are after we close, and that's if the gas truck charged us more when it delivered us gas...

Oh, and Res343cue, that's complete bullsh*t. Whenever that happens to me (the result of people trying to get out of paying for gas), I just tell them that it's already in their car, so unless they want to siphon the extra out and put it back in our tanks, they have to pay for it. Especially since the price is just going to continue to go up, they might as well get it now. I would have protested that decision, especially since the guy didn't specify what he wanted, and watched you pumping his TRUCK. He was obviously just trying to get a free tank of gas....ugh, and to think I have to head into work in like five hours to deal with the morons.....someone save me.....

MembersZone Subscriber

No matter how many gas station employees post on this thread I can't say I feel bad for the gas stations. They are part of the problem not part of the solution. A perfect example of this is the aforementioned change in price with the same gas in the tanks. You can't convince me that they don't take advantage of changes in pricing to make some extra dough. Another instance of this greed is when the price of oil hits a milestone like 50 or 60 dollars a barrel and this news hits the mass media you can bet the price will go up at the pump right away. However, most pricing experts say that it takes around 6 months for wholesale prices of oil to reach the refined gas pump station price.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Berks2Montco84

....ugh, and to think I have to head into work in like five hours to deal with the morons.....someone save me.....
    Yeah, I hear ya. I have to go to work to close up the station tonight.

Funny, I asked for the day off so I could go to a training session this morning at 5 AM which ended around 30 minutes ago, but have to go to work on my only day off so far this week.

6AM-4PM every day this week except Monday, had to help close on Thursday night, have to close tonight (on my day off ), and have to work 4PM - 8 PM on Tuesday of next week during FD training. My boss is somewhat of an *insert profane word*, and that's just the same reason why I had to cover the gas in that dudes truck. Oh well, life goes on...

Thread Information