MembersZone Subscriber

Default national registry

I am set to take the national registry exam for my basic on sept. 12.
    Does anybody know of any study guides or any other ideas to help me prepare for the test. I appreciate all the help. thanks

Forum Member

Study OB, and Birth that section is the most failed. Other than that, stick to the ABC's and basic things, nothing advanced. And DON'T overthing the situations you are presented. You'll be nervous going into it, but relax..I know you'll hear it 10,000 times.

MembersZone Subscriber

I recently took National Registry Paramedic exam and the questions are closely related to those found in Brady study guides.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's my canned replies to the general topic of NREMT Prep. & General Test Taking.

Best of luck on the test.

See my reply to this thread where NREMT identified back in '02 that Airway was a trouble section for Basic Candidates (Last post)
    http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=35441

Then see here where in '04 they state that this is STILL a problem area and suspect that some EMT Courses are deficient in Airway.
    http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=61601

As for general study guides, I'm a big fan of the guide that NR puts out simply because the sample test comes from the same questions database as the real test. You get a great feel for HOW the NR asks questions as well as terminology (i.e. "open pnumothorax" vs. "Sucking Chest Wound")

Other than that - relax and get a good nights sleep before the test (and stop studying at least a day before the test).

1) How to study
    That's going to depend on you. The method(s) that work best to help you learn / memorize things may not work well for me or the next person. I typically read a chapter/section/ whatever all the way through. Then go back and look at the objectives (DOT requirments) for the section, then go back and highlight the parts that explain & reinforce those objectives.

The highlighted material is what I will re-read when I am reviewing that section. Flash cards & the like never did much for me.

2) What to study
    Per the NREMT themselves:
    Evaluation of the current versions of the NREMT-Basic written examination indicates EMT-Basic students are having significant difficulty in identifying and managing airway, oxygenation, and/or ventilation problems in pediatric and adult patients.

http://www.nremt.org/about/article_0..._potential.asp

Airway - Airway - Airway can't stress that enough.

BTW - if you read the entire article, this was discovered over 2 years ago and REMAINS a problem - study the airway section!!

If your finances allow - get the NREMT Self Assesment Exam
    http://www.nremt.org/EMTServices/sho...Type&dups=cand
    (Scroll down)

This sample test booklet is derived from the same question bank as the actual tests and will some with an answer guide that will tell you WHY the given answer is the correct one (very important).

3) When to study (and when not to).
    First remember that the brain can only absorbe what the butt can endure. That means study in several small sessions rather than sitting for hours on end. Give your brain time to digest what you've just covered before trying to cram something new in there.

Second - DO NOT (let me repeat that DO NOT) even think about studying within a day or so of the test. If you haven't learned it by now, you will not learn it in the next 24-48 hours and odds are you'll end up forgetting other stuff you knew as well.
    Additionally it will (hopefully) take some of the stress off so you can approach the test relaxed and ready to go.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

yeha go to nrmet.org and get the study guide off there

MembersZone Subscriber

yeah go to nrmet.org and get the study guide off there

MembersZone Subscriber

go to www.bcpl.org and scroll to miscellaneous on the left side...then click learn a test...then click LearnATest at home...then become a new user...there are 2 different tests and it shows your score in each area. I just retook my basic test and am waiting on the results. I found that there are tons of questions asking the order of things in the assesments...many of which could be done before or after the answers. OB was on there alot and vital signs.

Thread Information