District Chief

Default Hernando County Firefighters Negotiating New Contract

Tampa Tribune--Hernando Today

Firefighter Negotiations Nearing Stalemate

Published: Jul 1, 2005

BROOKSVILLE - Salary negotiations between firefighters and county officials are nearing a stalemate, said firefighter Lt. Tony Noble, who has threatened to leave the bargaining table and ask Hernando County commissioners to intervene.

Noble, the firefighters' chief negotiator, is seeking a 5.7 percent raise each year for the next three years for firefighters, said Human Resource Director Barbara Dupre, the county's negotiator. She is offering 5.4 percent raises.

Rather than continue to debate, Noble said, he might ask county commissioners to settle the dispute.

Dupre said county officials plan to conduct a pay study next year for all employees. If the study shows that firefighters and paramedics are paid too little, she said, she will recommend raising their salaries.

Other county employees are slated to receive an average 5 percent pay increase.

Fred Hiers

Last edited by captstanm1; 07-16-2005 at 10:13 AM.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

There must be more to this story than has been said...If they are "...reaching a stalemate..." over 0.3% then it must come down to other issues.

I do, however, disagree with the statement that some have made over $100,000 dollars. That tells us nothing. It doesn't list that person's rank or seniority or the amount of overtime they worked. If the city prefers to offer overtime to its employees instead of hiring the right number of employees to fill its needs then I say "work all the hours you want!"

District Chief

Matt....sorry....

Well... IMO....You have to know the Union President.. He plays the part of a Bully and has been known to storm out of meetings when he does not get his way.

Edited out of courtesy........
    Last edited by captstanm1; 07-16-2005 at 10:14 AM.
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

Stan:
    Why the continous slanted attacks on this county fire dept? Nice little addition on your post about them being great guys! I agree with Farnum that if there's money to be made then sign me up for as much as I can get. What's your real agenda with the county? I would be interested to hear.

District Chief

deleted
    Last edited by captstanm1; 07-16-2005 at 10:16 AM.
    BMI Investigator

First all let me introduce myself as Jason Brazinski, Secretary of Local 3760 (Hernando) as well as one of the lead negotiators at the bargaining table.

Lt. Stanley seems to be unable/unwilling to provide factual information outside of the newspaper articles he posts, so let me try to get some of the real facts out there.

We have not had a single employee in the history of HCFR break the 100k mark. We have had 3 break the 90k mark in any one given year.
    They are...
    A 17 year Lieutenant with a base pay of 49600
    A 16 year Lieutenant with a base pay of 48000
    A 14 year Lieutenant with a base pay of 43000
    Very modest base pay for the years of service.

Further more, our department will be 5 years old this October, created by a merger of Northwest Fire, East Hernando Fire, South Central Fire, and Florida Regional EMS.

Contrary to LT Stanleys opinion that LT's are the only ones who make any money here, we have
    A Firemedic making 53000 per year
    A Firemedic making 46800 per year
    and the list could go on and on.

STANLEYS ACCUSATION OF PERSONNEL TAKING VACATION, AND THEN WORKING THEIR OWN SHIFT FOR OVERTIME SHOWS THAT STANLEY SHOULD PROBABLY BE A FICTION WRITER INSTEAD OF A FIREFIGHTER. NEVER HAS HAPPENED. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO HAPPEN. WE FILL OUT TIME SHEETS EVERY PAY PERIOD, AND OVERTIME HAS TO BE JUSTIFIED BY THE INDIVIDUAL, THE CAPTAIN, THE SECRETARY, AND BUDGETING.

And to close, Yes, there is a lot more to it than the .3% we are fighting for, and I'm sure any department with collective bargaining will realize that.

Forum Member

TRUUUUUUUUUUTH!!!!!!

District Chief

Jason....

I stand corrected...but the information posted was a result of a conversation with a member of the department that had seen it. May not happen now...but he/she said it happened in past...

I wish you luck with the negotiations....none of us get paid what we should.
    BMI Investigator

Thread Information