Forum Member

Post Oliver Stone to make first major US film about September 11

Oliver Stone to make first major US film about September 11 Fri Jul 8, 5:26 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (AFP) - Three-time Oscar winner Oliver Stone will direct superstar Nicholas Cage in the first major Hollywood movie about the September 11, 2001 terror attacks, producers announced.

The as-yet untitled film, which will be made for Paramount Pictures, will tell the true stories of the last two men to be rescued alive from the ruins of the collapsed World Trade Center in New York.

"It's an exploration of heroism in our country -- but is international at the same time in its humanity," said Stone, who won best director Academy Awards for his war epics "Born On the Fourth Of July" (1989) and 1986's "Platoon"

"It's a work of collective passion, a serious meditation on what happened, and carries within a compassion that heals," Stone said in a statement issued by producers.

Oscar-winning star Cage will take the lead role of New York Port Authority policeman Sergeant John McLoughlin, who was trapped along with one of his fellow officers in the mangled wreckage of one of the twin towers that crumbled after being hit by hijacked passenger jets.

"I feel someone had to tell the story of the people who were in the Trade Center before and after it collapsed," said McLoughlin of the plans to make his story into a major movie.

"The people involved in putting this movie together are truly making an extraordinary attempt to tell those stories and the stories of those who are no longer with us," he said.

The movie will focus on the two men as well as on their rescuers and families as they battle to find out what happened to their missing loved ones in the aftermath of the attacks that left a total of around 3,000 people dead in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania.

The film will be produced by Double Feature Films' Michael Shamberg and Stacey Sher as well as Moritz Borman, while the screenplay has been penned by Andrea Berloff.

Cage won the best actor Academy Award for 1995's "Leaving Las Vegas," while stome won a third Oscar for the adapted screenplay of 1978's "Midnight Express."

The announcement of the first major film of the events four years ago came a day after a string of suspected Al-Qaeda bombings on London's transport network left at least 50 people dead, marking the worst attack on the British capital since World War II.

The Link Here !
    Last edited by BFDNJFF; 07-09-2005 at 01:58 AM.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber

I am sure this will be a fair and balance view of the entire incident. I wonder if he will find some oscar winning actor to play Mohammad Atta so he can dramatize the terrorists and make everyone feel sorry for them too....Oliver Stone is leftist trash. Anyone can watch the movie "Platoon" and "Born on the Fourth of July" and see that.
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

Forum Member

Originally posted by TillerMan25
    Oliver Stone is leftist trash. Anyone can watch the movie "Platoon" and "Born on the Fourth of July" and see that.
    Hmmmm. Several of the Viet vets in my department say very good things about both those movies.

And they're conservatives.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

MembersZone Subscriber

Yea, isnt Oliver Stone the guy whos known for movies that are part fact mixed with a lot of bull----? Then people end up taking it all as fact.

God bless and pull the ceiling as you go.

Forum Member

Originally posted by CAPPYY
    Yea, isnt Oliver Stone the guy whos known for movies that are part fact mixed with a lot of bull----? Then people end up taking it all as fact.
    You have to blaim the idiots that don't know the difference between entertainment and documentries for that, not the film maker.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Originally posted by DennisTheMenace
    You have to blaim the idiots that don't know the difference between entertainment and documentries for that, not the film maker.
    I go to the movies to be entertained. Not educated.

MembersZone Subscriber

quote:

---------------------------------------

With the education that I see some of the younger people getting, these movies are the ONLY history lesson they will ever get.

New rating for movies should be-PG,PG13,R,X,and BS!

Forum Member

Originally posted by scfire86

exactly
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Originally posted by CAPPYY
    quote:

---------------------------------------

With the education that I see some of the younger people getting, these movies are the ONLY history lesson they will ever get.

New rating for movies should be-PG,PG13,R,X,and BS!

so is that Oliver Stones fault? Or all of ours for letting our inner city and rural schools and students fall to the place many are in. But to tell you the truth, the middle class and upper class public schools are teaching things at a level far above what was taught just 20 years ago. time might not be devoted to the basic three R's anymore, but they are going far beyond what they used to teach in the advanced grades. So I say again it is the idiots, not even the badly educated, that take these movies too literally.
    -Big Russ

MembersZone Subscriber

I talk to some kids almost everyday at the station and I am concerned. They know how to run a computer and use all the latest high tech gagets but man, half of them dont know where they are on the planet! They struggle with math and speak their own language. The 3 R's are just as important as ever. They are the foundation that you build the rest of your life on.

Just my opinion-sorry to get off the subject.

Forum Member

I think one important thing to note is that people viewing movies can tell the difference between tottally fictional and totally documentary/non-fiction, but when it's a fictional movie based on real events i think people take it more to heart. I think this is especially true with true stories that have been embelished a bit. (Braveheart comes to mind, along with gladiator, etc.) With this in mind i think that the movie producers DO have a sense of responsibility, or that they should atleast point out at some point where they're "creative" touch has come into play. Again, obviously the audience should be able to self-educate itself, but then again -- look how many people take the news as gospel. Just my 2 cents.

IACOJ BOD

The movie will focus on the two men as well as on their rescuers and families
    Which part of that statement confused you?

Then people end up taking it all as fact
    Hmmm. Who remembers the statement

"History is written by the Victors."

Recently ammended (with help from the media) to

"History is written by the best PR team."

Hey it is a hell of a site cheaper reading threads like this.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

adamkhalil-

Your 2 cents is worth a quarter. I agree 100 percent.

Forum Member

Oliver Stone is a man who hates his country and shows it in the movies that he makes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    Oliver Stone is a man who hates his country and shows it in the movies that he makes.
    Hmmm... I see it differently.

I see that experiences he had as a result of his country's actions have had a dramatic impact on him and in some of his movies he expresses that reaction accordingly.

In his political movies his wrath is usually the military industrial complex. Which is deserving of both scrutiny and a critical eye.

Forum Member

Plot Summary for
    Untitled Oliver Stone/September 11 Project (2006)
    In the aftermath of the World Trade Center disaster, hope is still alive. Refusing to bow down to terrorism, rescuers and family of the victims press forward. Their mission of rescue and recovery is driven by the faith that under each piece of rubble, a co-worker, a friend a family member may be found. This is the true story of John McLoughlin and William J. Jimeno, the last two survivors extracted from Ground Zero and the rescuers who never gave up. It's a story of the true heroes of that fateful time in the history of the United States when buildings would fall and heroes would rise, literally from the ashes to inspire the entire human race.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0469641/plotsummary

google is a great thing

seems that his portrayal can't stray to far from the truth on this project.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

Thumbs down

I find a lot of irony in the fact that Maggie Gyllenhall, who stated that 9/11 was "our fault" (and was recently lambasted on this forum for it) is being cast in the movie.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    I find a lot of irony in the fact that Maggie Gyllenhall, who stated that 9/11 was "our fault" (and was recently lambasted on this forum for it) is being cast in the movie.
    Stone cast him on purpose. BECAUSE of the fact that he's such a frackin' idiot. I mean, free speaching anti-government patriot. LOL
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre08
    Stone cast him on purpose. BECAUSE of the fact that he's such a frackin' idiot. I mean, free speaching anti-government patriot. LOL
    Maggie is a she. You are confusing her with her brother Jake, who is also an actor.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    Maggie is a she. You are confusing her with her brother Jake, who is also an actor.
    well I'll be damned you're right. Haha, I think I've seen Hitch too many times. ROFL
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by adamkhalil
    With this in mind i think that the movie producers DO have a sense of responsibility, or that they should atleast point out at some point where they're "creative" touch has come into play. Again, obviously the audience should be able to self-educate itself, but then again -- look how many people take the news as gospel. Just my 2 cents.

The only responsibility the producers have is to the studios - to make a picture that makes $$$.

Is it their fault the person sitting in the theater believes what they see on the screen? Nope, nor should it be.

Andy

Forum Member

Since when has Hollywood been responsible? Or should they be? As a conservative I find great pleasure in not watching what I don't want to watch. The last time I saw Oliver Stone he was praising Fidel while riding in a car with him.

So am I going to see his movie? No. Is it because he hates America? No - it's because I don't like his movies. Not because of their content - but because I don't like him as a filmmaker. I don't like his politics either but that doesn't stop me from seeing a movie.

Sir Nigel Hawthorne was a splendid actor but was left leaning - however when he portrayed King George he did so marvelously. I like to think that I am smart enough to seperate fact from fiction. As for all the people who might not understand the true cause of any certain event - I would hazard a guess and state that if they were shown a blue screen many would come out and say it was green.

Choices - chose to watch or not to watch.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Thread Information