Forum Member

Default a little confused

ima little confused by a call that came in yesterday. my question is more about the alerting system they used more than the actual incident though so here it goes.

Yesterday my alpha pager went off for the rescue truck. i thought that it was a medic assist so i didnt get up, knowing that others would beat me there. then it went off again for the ambulance and again ina few minutes for the entire company. I am a little confused about why dispatch didnt use the minitor pager system, which would have called a lot more manpower, or blow the whistle, which never went off? why only use the alpha pagers?

anybody who can explain this, many thanks in advance

PS the call was a single car accident with rollover

MembersZone Subscriber

Uh ah .... T-Bone I think that would be a question to ask an Officer on your department....
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Damned if I know...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Did you see what the call was before you decided to go back to sleep?
    Our dispatch is known for doing some funny stuff sometimes, so it pays to pay attention.
    There goes the neighborhood.

Forum Member

it wasnt at night and i did got to the station after they dispatched the whole company.

But you bring up another good point. it wasnt dispatched as anything on the alpha, not even as a nature unknown.

Forum Member

Originally posted by tbonetrexler
    it wasnt at night and i did got to the station after they dispatched the whole company.

But you bring up another good point. it wasnt dispatched as anything on the alpha, not even as a nature unknown.
    As someone else mentioned it may be better to ask an officer - or if you have a direct line with your diaptch ask someone from the comm center.

Could have been a new dispatcher who messed up the dispatch or maybe some technical problems -

what was the call when you finally got there? Was there no update given after units were enroute?

Stoner

MembersZone Subscriber

PFM
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

mtnfireguy - PFM ?????

Hey CaptainGonzo btw - What does
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!
    stand for ?
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Originally posted by F52Westside
    mtnfireguy - PFM ?????

Hey CaptainGonzo btw - What does
    stand for ?
    www.foolsinternational.com has the explanation!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Pure Fricking Magic
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

Depending on how many dispatching towers are in your area, the dispatch center could have been on a different tower or even a different frequency. You would receive the alpha page, but the siren nor the minitor would activate. Dispatchers can make mistakes also, but the important thing is that a page was sent.

I am located right outside Philadelphia in Montgomery County (Norristown, King of Prussia area to be more exact) and we have eight towers I think. Fire Units use low band (33.00 MHz), high band (150.00 Mhz) and even 800 now. It has happened to us several times.

As for receiving just general page with no nature, the dispatcher could have had the received the call straight from the call taker and it probably just had the notes and location of the call, but no nature.

But as said before, talk to an officer or the comm center.

Hope this sheds some light.

Forum Member

tbonetrexler.....

No wonder there are manpower problems in Delaware...If we can't see what comes across these alpha pagers we either don't respond or drag our behinds to the firehouses eventually

I see this daily - I'm a paid guy in the state and often rely on members to respond before I can put the ambulance or a full staffed engine on the street. - Slow or disregarded Alpha Pages majorly contribute to slow responses and you must know that the radio system for alerting isn't that much better in alot of areas.

For an MVC with a rollover your station should have been toned with a full dispatch. So there is a problem there unless there were full crews for your Rescue and Ambulance in House in which case the phone was called. But I say if you saw that many pages in a short amount of time there might have been something going down requiring you to respond. -- Not busting you brother just raising a point.

Forum Member

i knew something was going down, but since the rescue and ambulance got dispatched first i though it was a medical assist and knew i wouldnt get a truck. I live about a mile and a half out of town and barely make second truck. we dont have any paid in our department so there was no crew at the station

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Gonzo and Mtnfireguy !! Those are some of the better acronyms I've heard.
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

Forum Member

Originally posted by tbonetrexler
    i knew something was going down, but since the rescue and ambulance got dispatched first i though it was a medical assist and knew i wouldnt get a truck. I live about a mile and a half out of town and barely make second truck. we dont have any paid in our department so there was no crew at the station
    Very Well Understood....There is no doubt that we have radio problems from north to south...But if your siren never blew theres a couple of reasons for this.

1. Since the state is on 800mhz. individual stations rely on repeater frequencies for tone / voice paging. Meaning if your tones are sounded and there is another transmission on another channel that the repeater recognized before the dispatch....No Pager / No Siren

2. I understand you have no Paid Personnel but is it possible that there were enough people in the station to make two crews and the board called the station 1st.

3. Perhaps the the dispatcher screwed something up ?......Ooooppps They never do that !!! Rrriiiggghhhttt

Thread Information