District Chief

Default Palm Bay--Brush Truck Drives Through house

Accident with brush fire truck sends pickup through bedroom wall

Associated Press

PALM BAY, Fla. - Faulty brakes on a brush fire tractor-trailer on its way to a fireworks display caused an accident that sent a pickup truck through a bedroom wall, officials said.

The brush fire truck was on its way to be on hand for a Fourth of July picnic and fireworks display at Brevard Community College, city spokeswoman Yvonne Martinez said.

Firefighter Ron Bratsch, of Viera, told police he swerved to avoid traffic at an intersection when the brush fire truck's brakes failed.

Police said Bratsch hit a Ford pickup truck, which then crashed into a nearby home.

Erick Michael, 30, said he was walking into his bedroom when he heard the crash.

The pickup truck damaged his bedroom closet, a roommate's bedroom and a hallway wall, he said.

"If it had been 5 feet farther, it would have come all the way through the closet and hit me," Michael said.

Officials said Bratsch and the pickup truck driver, 26-year-old Eric Eveleth of Palm Bay, were airlifted to Holmes Regional Medical Center in Melbourne and were in serious but stable condition Monday night.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

Opps.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Thread Information