Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber Dishwasher's Avatar

Question PDA and Mobile Printer for Fire Inspections?

I was wondering what kind of technology other departments are using to perform fire inspections. We're looking at eliminating the old carbon-copy inspection papers and going to a "paperless" computer system. The idea is to check off violations on a PDA in the field, then go to the mobile printer located in the Fire Inspector's vehicle and print out the correction order for the business. Later, when the inspector returns to the station, all the information is downloaded from the PDA and stored on a regular computer.

Is anybody familiar with this system? Are there any drawbacks or regrets? What kind of hardware and software do you use?

Thanks in Advance.

Forum Member

Default Tablet PC vs PDA

We are using Tablet PC with a inspection software package that also does our pre-plan data. The software is from a company called Emergency Software Products, Inc. based in NJ. They have a pre-package inspection system and a customized version as well. We have been using the software for the past 15 years and we love it. If you would like more information please e-mail me at wsmith.fire@fairfieldtownhall. com

William Smith, Fire Marshal

for Pre-plans we are using a notepad with notes. The pre-plan is then re-done in Visio. ThNozzleman takes the pre-plan and puts it into a webpage that is searchable. The whole thing will be on a laptop for on-scene use. We also print them out and have a hard copy in binders in the apparatus.
    We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering.

Permanently Removed hoseheadmaps's Avatar

I use a program like AutoCAD to input the information for the pre-plan like building layout, fire exits, roof openings, alarm panels. any high hazard rooms will be highlighted. I do this for schools, industrial buildings, nursing homes etc...when I'm done the file gets PDFed it can be linked together with the street maps so the high target hazard information is just a click away.

MembersZone Subscriber Dishwasher's Avatar

Thanks for the tips I'll look into this.

no problem, i can send you an example to show you what i'm talking about. i have a basic pdf file set-up for a demo.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Pre Plans

Quote Originally Posted by hoseheadmaps
    no problem, i can send you an example to show you what i'm talking about. i have a basic pdf file set-up for a demo.
    We are also looking into pre plans as well could you please send us a demo on pdf.

Thanks,
    Sleeve

i'll get right on it - just recovering from vac with the family

sleeve,

drop me an e-mail with your personal e-mail account, so i can send you the pdf file your requested.

Quote Originally Posted by wsmith500
    We are using Tablet PC with a inspection software package that also does our pre-plan data. The software is from a company called Emergency Software Products, Inc. based in NJ. They have a pre-package inspection system and a customized version as well. We have been using the software for the past 15 years and we love it. If you would like more information please e-mail me at wsmith.fire@fairfieldtownhall. com

William Smith, Fire Marshal
    We use the same software here in NY - now that most of the bugs are out of it it is Ok - just my opinion, not that of my superiors.....

I've seen more user-friendly software, but it had lots of extra stuff that we did not need in it.

As far as a computer, we use a 'pen-tab' - Fujitsu 3500 Stylistic - using Windows 2000....ugh!

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff
    We use the same software here in NY - now that most of the bugs are out of it it is Ok - just my opinion, not that of my superiors.....

I've seen more user-friendly software, but it had lots of extra stuff that we did not need in it.

As far as a computer, we use a 'pen-tab' - Fujitsu 3500 Stylistic - using Windows 2000....ugh!

Umm the Fujitsu 3500 does not come with win 2000, only win98 or win xp tablet additions, if your using win2000, maybe thats why your having the problem, I use ESP as well as yourself and havent had any problems, yes it does have alot of information in the system, but thats the way we wanted it, They built it to our spec so we are very happy, doing research on other vendors its hard to find one who does customized software and if they do then its very expensive. Good luck and stay safe

Default mapping

sleeve,

did you get the sample i sent - it was about 5 meg so i don't know if it went thru.

Default PDA's, Tablets and Mobile Software

CodePal from Sybatech, Inc. has developed a very flexible software tool for all types of inspections.

Works on PDA's & Tablets - syncs to a server on your network, or to your desktop.

Can print reports in the field or at the office.

Does Item by Item inspections.

Check it out at http://www.codepalinspections.com

Forum Member

Default Inspections & Violations by computer

IMC (Information Management Corp. out of Massachusetts) has an integrated program that ties the business location to all permits, inspections, violations, and complaints against that address. This is also tied into their NFIRS reporting system as well as CAD. It works great in the mobile MDT's to see fire plans, address history, and hazmat data at the site. Check them out at www.imcus.com.

Default Messages from BruceT

Please do not be fooled as the user BruceT works for IMC. They do not have a mobile inspection program.

Thread Information