• Yes I am right behind the Brits, I'm on my way

19 79.17%
  • Maybe, I'd like to visit one day

5 20.83%
  • No way, Loyalty only goes one way.

0 0%
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default US Embassy Rep grilled on UK TV

Following THIS Story, a representative from the US Embassy in London has been left squirming in his chair after USAF Personnle were ordered to keep away from London....hours after President Bush gave his 'Business as Usual' speech.

The USAF have now been forced to withdraw the ban for its 10,000 personnel in the UK after heavy criticism from all corners.

Especially as Millions of Britons have taken advice from Mayor Giulianni of NYC after 9/11 with his plea of "Come to New York"

The British have paid there biggest tribute to the spirit of NYC since 9/11 by crossing by the plane full to patronise the Hotels, shops and Resturants of the Big Apple.

My Question is... with only 10% of US Citizens having a passport...will YOU do your bit like We Brits did for you? Will you come to Londpon to show the Terrorists they can't win???
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

MembersZone Subscriber

You know Steve, I was always one of those people that had no desire to travel abroad (with the exception of the Promised Land, of course...Ireland). But after seeing the coverage on this incident, seeing how the people of London reacted and seeing how the government of the UK has respondd to this tragedy, I am seriously thinking about traveling there next year.

Is it impossible to get tickets for Wimbledon for one day? How about acomodations near the club? Thanks Steve.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

I love the UK. I was first there (England, and a day trip to Wales to go canoeing) during the summer of 1990 for 4 weeks as an "exchange" student.

I went back for New Years 01/02 -- I bought my ticket in May, then 9/11 happened and then the 11/11 plane accident happened. I wasn't going to let that keep me from seeing my friend (who I hadn't seen since 1995) and her family (who I hadn't see since 1990). Plus, I wasn't flying AA, I was flying British Airways...I flew out the day after Christmas.

Ironically, my friend's sister and her family had planned a trip to Disney World for the spring of 2002 and had I not felt it safe to travel to England and canceled my trip, they would have canceled their trip, too!

George, I highly recommend Warwick Castle. Even in the winter cold, it's a neat place to visit! The Cadbury Chocolate Factory and Wedgwood Factory are impressive, too. And you can't miss Harrod's in London. That's an experience in itself. And Birmingham and Nottingham -- you really can do a lot in a short period of time if you hook up with the right people.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

MembersZone Subscriber

George,
    Yes, if you apply early enough you can get tickets, My Wife used to get tham a few years ago. I'm not sure exactly, I am certain it is open to everyone to apply. Wimbledon is about 20 minutes from Central London by Train, there are places to stay nearby, but obviously they put their prices up near the time. Most of the Poplular Tourist Hotel areas are on the 'District Line' on the Underground, from South Kensington, it is only about 20 minutes Southwest from there.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by SteveDude
    George,
    Yes, if you apply early enough you can get tickets, My Wife used to get tham a few years ago. I'm not sure exactly, I am certain it is open to everyone to apply. Wimbledon is about 20 minutes from Central London by Train, there are places to stay nearby, but obviously they put their prices up near the time. Most of the Poplular Tourist Hotel areas are on the 'District Line' on the Underground, from South Kensington, it is only about 20 minutes Southwest from there.
    Thanks, Steve.

Forum Member

Won't stop me from going to London. Won't stop me from going to Aruba either.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Bones42
    Won't stop me from going to London. Won't stop me from going to Aruba either.
    You probably don't look like Natalie Holloway, either. No reason for you to be afraid.

Dman! Wrong thread.

MembersZone Subscriber

Steve,

I was in London the just before we went into Iraq. In fact the company I work for, Reuters, sends us there almost weekly. I actually had the pleasure of doing a ride along with some of the Brothers in SoHo, which wound up being the highlight of my trip! Funny thing I was in the back on the way to what turned out to be food on the stove, talking to who I though was the driver, until he turned around, I'm like holy **** these guys are crazy! - Forgot for a second that you guys drive on the wrong side.

Either way, I'd go back if the opportunity presented itself.

Believe it or not the sun was out the entire week I was there too!

Stay safe and we're with you guys!
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

MembersZone Subscriber

Steve,
    As you know I have been to the UK several times. This 1st was just months AFTER 9-11. There were rumors floating around that London would be next or more planes were going to drop out of the sky.

We rode with the brothers from Chelsea (great guys!) and in Swindon in Wiltshire County as well as Essex. All the while thinking "what if".

We did not feel overwhelmed or scared.

I traveled again and walked the picket line with FF's in Wiltshire and Avon. Much to the dismay of several chief officers in my department (SC is a right ot work state) and to several chief officers of the respected brigades in the UK.

I would travel now if it was not for my 4 month old bundle of joy! He tends to drain the energy and the wallet if you know what I mean!

I would have no problem in traveling to the UK again.
    Last edited by sconfire; 07-12-2005 at 03:24 PM.
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Forum Member

I would love to go to London but being a poor college student i lack the $$$. Maybe FDIC could have like an Extra-East Expo in London and then my Dept. could foot the airfare bill :-p

MembersZone Subscriber

Steve,

I can't come to London, but it is because of funds, not fear. Loyalty and support goes both ways.

I don't know what bonehead issued this order, but it was wrong.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: US Embassy Rep grilled on UK TV

Originally posted by SteveDude
    Following THIS Story, a representative from the US Embassy in London has been left squirming in his chair after USAF Personnle were ordered to keep away from London....hours after President Bush gave his 'Business as Usual' speech.

The USAF have now been forced to withdraw the ban for its 10,000 personnel in the UK after heavy criticism from all corners.

Especially as Millions of Britons have taken advice from Mayor Giulianni of NYC after 9/11 with his plea of "Come to New York"

The British have paid there biggest tribute to the spirit of NYC since 9/11 by crossing by the plane full to patronise the Hotels, shops and Resturants of the Big Apple.

My Question is... with only 10% of US Citizens having a passport...will YOU do your bit like We Brits did for you? Will you come to Londpon to show the Terrorists they can't win???
    Hey,

I am flying through there this Sunday on my way back to the states. I will try to get out of the airport and see a few sights.

Later

Forum Member

Well, after I get back from Iraq and make lots of money in my subsequent money making scheme, I'll make sure to make a nice long stop there in my travels through Europe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ya darn tooten. Hope to be there in the next year. We go where others fear to tread. London no problem. I want to enjoy real fish and chips. From everything I have seen, the response was right on. You guys police, fire, ems performed heads up good job. Makes a Texan proud.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would consider going to London, is there anything to do there? (thats an opening steve-o)

God bless and pull the ceiling as you go.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well I ain't had a US Visitor who has been disappointed yet!!!

If you are coming alone we'll find you a place to stay, if you are coming with the family we try to make life a little easier for you....
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

Forum Member

You forgot the incentive for the younger people steve. Over in England the drinking age is 18. Dont know about England, but we dont actually have a legal drinking age here.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Forum Member

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI

You probably don't look like Natalie Holloway, either. No reason for you to be afraid.

Dman! Wrong thread.
    Ouch.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Been to London six times in the past five years, mainly to see Arsenal play but also as a stop on my visit to God's country, Ireland.

I will continue my trips for two reasons:

1. I love the UK.
    2. I visit Northern Ireland and if you aren't frightened there - then your okay.

The military gives orders based on threat assessments. When I was in we were banned from Disco's in Germany for a while. However this was hasty. Of course we are behind you!
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Thread Information