Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Interesting that you and George are both from New Jersey, is it something in the water?
    Yes. It is called a built in BS detector. And its going off on this Captain Bob thing.

Matt:

There are a million brothers who have gone through the process. Somehow we all made it. You will as well. If you want to invest money then go right ahead and perhaps it will pay off. Enough determination will bring about a career in the fire service. Talk to the people on the job where you are apllying to - especially the newer people.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

Mattw82, most of the time these boards are very straight-forward. They will ask you questions. Why do you want to be on the dept? What do you think you can contribute to the dept? Why should we accept you? I think you're better off answering these questions honestly, not be saying what you think they want to hear. They've heard it before and can smell it a mile off. Be CONFIDENT in yourself. Don't think you have to answer as quickly as possible, think about it and answer honestly and with conviction. Sometimes these guys will try to trip you up and get you to flip flop on something. If you answer honestly you can be consistant and confident in your answers. Good luck with your interview!

Forum Member

Default Offer??

JackTee09 wrote:
    Perhaps you would consider giving away ten "Gold Packages"

We have had a weekly drawing for our products for the last six years here: http://eatstress.com/weeklydrawing.htm

JackTee09 Since you have such a strong interest here, I will take you up on your challenge of giving away 10 of our entry level Gold Package Programs http://eatstress.com/goldpackage.htm if you will pay for the shipping. Deal?

I suggest another thread be started in the Job Discussion section to run for a week. Anyone interested in obtaining a program would post why they thinkg they should receive one of the 10 programs in 200 words or less. You can help decide the winners.

JackTee09 wrote:
    There are a million brothers who have gone through the process. Somehow we all made it. You will as well. If you want to invest money then go right ahead and perhaps it will pay off.

True. But itís how long can you tread water that becomes the problem. We just try to shorten the learning curve to the shortest distance between the candidate and the badge.

As one recent candidate wrote:

I just received my oral board score for my last oral board. The score did not represent how I felt I did during the interview. This is a big problem for me because I now realize that I DON'T KNOW what the board was looking for. I've been preparing for these orals for months and felt extremely prepared. I don't want to waste another oral board opportunity without knowing that I've done all that I can to be the best candidate possible. Thank you for your time Sir. Regards, Fire Recruit Jeff

Matt: If you will e-mail me, I can give you more information for your chiefs oral.

"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek."óMario Andretti, Race Car Driver

Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Captain Bob Author,
    Becoming A Firefighter

www.eatstress.com
    Last edited by CaptBob; 07-17-2005 at 10:44 PM.

Sure Cap'n Bob - I will pay the shipping. All I ask is that I get to see what nuggets are in the Gold Package. But yeah - no problem.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

MembersZone Subscriber

It's all about marketing Bobby, isn't it? Never miss an opportunity, even when people who are not 19 yoa kids desperate for a FF job are calling you out for what you are.

Forum Member

Thanks for all the great info everyone, had the interview last thursday and all it was was about 15 questions of personality and moral..as described. This department is a paid on call, and the 3 district Chiefs were all very casual- jeans, shorts, t-shirts. I hope to hear back this week on whether or not I go forward.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well CaptBob, I'm sorry if i started this whole mess, I'm starting to see that some people like to run against the grain anytime they can just to hear (see) themselves talk.

A question was asked about oral interviews and i gave a route to take that was helpful to myself. I'm not young, nor am I gullible with trying everything that comes along to help my chances on becoming a carreer firefighter. I knew that i needed help in a certain area of testing and CaptBob was there. I used Captains website a bunch of times before spending any money and never felt any pressure on spending the money that i did.

Everyone has a opinion, some more then others, some with 5000 opinions. If i had time to spew out 5000 opinions, maybe i wouldnt have needed to spend the 90 bucks that i did.

But to the poster of this thread, do what you think you need to do.

My advice to you www.eatstress.com

And i would hope that the shipping cost are going to be paid for those lucky ten winners.

Forum Member

just an update: received letter from the Chief today. I have an offer for employment with the department if i can show proof of other steady employment. I was in between jobs when I had my interview at the F.D. with other "regular work" interviews scheduled this week- I got hired on a night shift on Monday so i can be on-call during the day. Timing was perfect. Thanks for all the advise and sorry for starting controversy--I'll remember to do a search next time first!

Everyone has a opinion, some more then others, some with 5000 opinions. If i had time to spew out 5000 opinions, maybe i wouldnt have needed to spend the 90 bucks that i did.
    You must proofread for Cap'n Bob! J/J

And i would hope that the shipping cost are going to be paid for those lucky ten winners.
    I will pay the shipping costs as soon as Cap'n Bob allows me to see all the "secret" $$$$$$ Info.

MATT: Congrats Brother! It's great to see someone start out and with an extra $100 in your pocket.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

Default Shipping

mattw82
    Congrats on your success.

JackTee09

I think spyonline summed it up above. And, no I have no idea who spyonline is.

I sent you a PM two days ago without a reply.

JackTee09 wrote:

Sure Cap'n Bob - I will pay the shipping. All I ask is that I get to see what nuggets are in the Gold Package. But yeah - no problem.

Simple. The shipping is going to be around $38.50. Are you going to do it or not?

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959
    Last edited by CaptBob; 07-19-2005 at 11:39 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by mattw82
    just an update: received letter from the Chief today. I have an offer for employment with the department if i can show proof of other steady employment. I was in between jobs when I had my interview at the F.D. with other "regular work" interviews scheduled this week- I got hired on a night shift on Monday so i can be on-call during the day. Timing was perfect. Thanks for all the advise and sorry for starting controversy--I'll remember to do a search next time first!
    Congratulations Matt. But I am not sure how you did it w/o Bobby's help. Good luck and be safe.

George said:

Congratulations Matt. But I am not sure how you did it w/o Bobby's help. Good luck and be safe.
    You know George I was thinking the same thing.

Cap'n Bob said:

Simple. The shipping is going to be around $38.50. Are you going to do it or not?
    If you are willing to let me see it first -yes. You and your PR man above - whom you don't know are misguidedif you think I would pay without first getting a chance to read it myself.

You are a "good guy" Bob - you are capitalizing on youngsters - you are getting free press here-though not good press. Provide me with the nuggets and I will pay shipping if it is something that is truly worth money.

If you truly care - which YOU claim - then you will have no problem offering free service to ten youngsters!!!
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

Default Offer??

JackTee09
    I sent you a PM on Monday asking:

Are you requesting a review copy of Gold Package http://eatstress.com/goldpackage.htm ? If so give me your name, and address with Zip code.

I have yet to receive a reply.

I thought your offer was valid. It appears it is not. If you want to step back I understand. I have received 3 e-mails from interested parties who are ready to step up on the tailboard to pick up the shipping if you decide not to.

JackTee09 wrote

If you truly care - which YOU claim - then you will have no problem offering free service to ten youngsters!!!

I will still offer the 10 free programs in the Job Discussion forum where there is a better chance that more entry level candidates can participate.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Cap'n Bob:

I was advised that to go forward with this would not be in keeping with the forum rules. Thus, to avoid any problem - I will not.

I have had several emails from people who have had access to your material - I confess to it being less than stellar. IMHO - You take advantage - which is not something that a brother would ever do.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by JackTee09
    Cap'n Bob:

I was advised that to go forward with this would not be in keeping with the forum rules. Thus, to avoid any problem - I will not.

I have had several emails from people who have had access to your material - I confess to it being less than stellar. IMHO - You take advantage - which is not something that a brother would ever do.
    You'd also be listed as someone who provided an endorsement.

You'd also be listed as someone who provided an endorsement.
    You are right George. And that is not going to happen!
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Sorry I was late to the party.

To George and the other guy- Stop. Just stop because this
    doesnt make you look good in here.

I have said it before and I will say it again. I only know
    of ONE website dedicated to offering and answering the FAQs
    of entering the fire service. Capt. Bob's eatstress.

Again, PLEASE show me something else. Give me something
    other than this multi-subject forums board dedicated to
    helping people for f-r-e-e with a toll free 800 number.

Its not about marketing. Bob has never, ever forced
    anything down my neck. In fact, I (yes, me) have more
    likely soaked his wallet with a few phone calls and
    asking him for help. I admit it, he has been nice
    enough to help me and some other people out. And because
    of it, I scored higher on my Captains exam.

George and T- Bob Smith had an article published in
    Firehouse magazine offer his FREEE advice. Where is
    YOUR article? Please show it to me and I will back you
    up, promise!

And he gave me a FREE gold packet to review. I did so
    and sent it back to him. (I was already hired, so I really
    needed promotional materal vs. entry level) I am not just
    backing him because of it. SHOW ME SOMETHING ELSE, please
    and I will back it too.

Lets all be cool in here and not get too crazy. Remember,
    we are all on the same side. (or should be)

-Bou
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 07-20-2005 at 04:59 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

The word sycophant come to mind.

My articles are all in other fire service publications. Sorry.

I call 'em as I see 'em.

And I won't stop.

Forum Member

[i]Originally posted by CALFFBOU

Remember,
    we are all on the same side. (or should be)

-Bou
    Apparently, from the attitudes on these forums, we are not on the same side. Some of these people seem to have no side but the opposite one of others, no matter the issue. Sad.

On a good note, way to go Matt! Hope everything goes well in your new position!

Bob Smith had an article published in

I have been published in Fire Engineering, FIre Chief, the old American Fire Journal out west...so that means nothing!!!! Are you saying that Bob wrote an article for the magazine and did not receive a check for the articles publication???? I call BS on that...

And everytime you have an article published it is free advertising for your name!!!

Look - I said it before and I will say it again. People have a right to pay for any service they like be it good or bad. People bought the pet rock and now this Cap'n Bob sells his goodies. If you believe you benefit from it - spend the dough. Have at it.

As for being on the same side - my friend I would never associate myself with anyone who might be willing to take advantage of youngsters looking to get a start in this profession.
    Last edited by JackTee09; 07-20-2005 at 07:45 PM.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Thread Information