Forum Member

Thanks for all the great info everyone, had the interview last thursday and all it was was about 15 questions of personality and moral..as described. This department is a paid on call, and the 3 district Chiefs were all very casual- jeans, shorts, t-shirts. I hope to hear back this week on whether or not I go forward.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well CaptBob, I'm sorry if i started this whole mess, I'm starting to see that some people like to run against the grain anytime they can just to hear (see) themselves talk.

A question was asked about oral interviews and i gave a route to take that was helpful to myself. I'm not young, nor am I gullible with trying everything that comes along to help my chances on becoming a carreer firefighter. I knew that i needed help in a certain area of testing and CaptBob was there. I used Captains website a bunch of times before spending any money and never felt any pressure on spending the money that i did.

Everyone has a opinion, some more then others, some with 5000 opinions. If i had time to spew out 5000 opinions, maybe i wouldnt have needed to spend the 90 bucks that i did.

But to the poster of this thread, do what you think you need to do.

My advice to you www.eatstress.com

And i would hope that the shipping cost are going to be paid for those lucky ten winners.

Forum Member

just an update: received letter from the Chief today. I have an offer for employment with the department if i can show proof of other steady employment. I was in between jobs when I had my interview at the F.D. with other "regular work" interviews scheduled this week- I got hired on a night shift on Monday so i can be on-call during the day. Timing was perfect. Thanks for all the advise and sorry for starting controversy--I'll remember to do a search next time first!

Forum Member

Everyone has a opinion, some more then others, some with 5000 opinions. If i had time to spew out 5000 opinions, maybe i wouldnt have needed to spend the 90 bucks that i did.
    You must proofread for Cap'n Bob! J/J

And i would hope that the shipping cost are going to be paid for those lucky ten winners.
    I will pay the shipping costs as soon as Cap'n Bob allows me to see all the "secret" $$$$$$ Info.

MATT: Congrats Brother! It's great to see someone start out and with an extra $100 in your pocket.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

Default Shipping

mattw82
    Congrats on your success.

JackTee09

I think spyonline summed it up above. And, no I have no idea who spyonline is.

I sent you a PM two days ago without a reply.

JackTee09 wrote:

Sure Cap'n Bob - I will pay the shipping. All I ask is that I get to see what nuggets are in the Gold Package. But yeah - no problem.

Simple. The shipping is going to be around $38.50. Are you going to do it or not?

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959
    Last edited by CaptBob; 07-20-2005 at 12:39 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by mattw82
    just an update: received letter from the Chief today. I have an offer for employment with the department if i can show proof of other steady employment. I was in between jobs when I had my interview at the F.D. with other "regular work" interviews scheduled this week- I got hired on a night shift on Monday so i can be on-call during the day. Timing was perfect. Thanks for all the advise and sorry for starting controversy--I'll remember to do a search next time first!
    Congratulations Matt. But I am not sure how you did it w/o Bobby's help. Good luck and be safe.

Forum Member

George said:

Congratulations Matt. But I am not sure how you did it w/o Bobby's help. Good luck and be safe.
    You know George I was thinking the same thing.

Cap'n Bob said:

Simple. The shipping is going to be around $38.50. Are you going to do it or not?
    If you are willing to let me see it first -yes. You and your PR man above - whom you don't know are misguidedif you think I would pay without first getting a chance to read it myself.

You are a "good guy" Bob - you are capitalizing on youngsters - you are getting free press here-though not good press. Provide me with the nuggets and I will pay shipping if it is something that is truly worth money.

If you truly care - which YOU claim - then you will have no problem offering free service to ten youngsters!!!
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

Default Offer??

JackTee09
    I sent you a PM on Monday asking:

Are you requesting a review copy of Gold Package http://eatstress.com/goldpackage.htm ? If so give me your name, and address with Zip code.

I have yet to receive a reply.

I thought your offer was valid. It appears it is not. If you want to step back I understand. I have received 3 e-mails from interested parties who are ready to step up on the tailboard to pick up the shipping if you decide not to.

JackTee09 wrote

If you truly care - which YOU claim - then you will have no problem offering free service to ten youngsters!!!

I will still offer the 10 free programs in the Job Discussion forum where there is a better chance that more entry level candidates can participate.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Cap'n Bob:

I was advised that to go forward with this would not be in keeping with the forum rules. Thus, to avoid any problem - I will not.

I have had several emails from people who have had access to your material - I confess to it being less than stellar. IMHO - You take advantage - which is not something that a brother would ever do.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by JackTee09
    Cap'n Bob:

I was advised that to go forward with this would not be in keeping with the forum rules. Thus, to avoid any problem - I will not.

I have had several emails from people who have had access to your material - I confess to it being less than stellar. IMHO - You take advantage - which is not something that a brother would ever do.
    You'd also be listed as someone who provided an endorsement.

Forum Member

You'd also be listed as someone who provided an endorsement.
    You are right George. And that is not going to happen!
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Permanently Removed

Sorry I was late to the party.

To George and the other guy- Stop. Just stop because this
    doesnt make you look good in here.

I have said it before and I will say it again. I only know
    of ONE website dedicated to offering and answering the FAQs
    of entering the fire service. Capt. Bob's eatstress.

Again, PLEASE show me something else. Give me something
    other than this multi-subject forums board dedicated to
    helping people for f-r-e-e with a toll free 800 number.

Its not about marketing. Bob has never, ever forced
    anything down my neck. In fact, I (yes, me) have more
    likely soaked his wallet with a few phone calls and
    asking him for help. I admit it, he has been nice
    enough to help me and some other people out. And because
    of it, I scored higher on my Captains exam.

George and T- Bob Smith had an article published in
    Firehouse magazine offer his FREEE advice. Where is
    YOUR article? Please show it to me and I will back you
    up, promise!

And he gave me a FREE gold packet to review. I did so
    and sent it back to him. (I was already hired, so I really
    needed promotional materal vs. entry level) I am not just
    backing him because of it. SHOW ME SOMETHING ELSE, please
    and I will back it too.

Lets all be cool in here and not get too crazy. Remember,
    we are all on the same side. (or should be)

-Bou
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 07-20-2005 at 05:59 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

The word sycophant come to mind.

My articles are all in other fire service publications. Sorry.

I call 'em as I see 'em.

And I won't stop.

Forum Member

[i]Originally posted by CALFFBOU

Remember,
    we are all on the same side. (or should be)

-Bou
    Apparently, from the attitudes on these forums, we are not on the same side. Some of these people seem to have no side but the opposite one of others, no matter the issue. Sad.

On a good note, way to go Matt! Hope everything goes well in your new position!

Forum Member

Bob Smith had an article published in

I have been published in Fire Engineering, FIre Chief, the old American Fire Journal out west...so that means nothing!!!! Are you saying that Bob wrote an article for the magazine and did not receive a check for the articles publication???? I call BS on that...

And everytime you have an article published it is free advertising for your name!!!

Look - I said it before and I will say it again. People have a right to pay for any service they like be it good or bad. People bought the pet rock and now this Cap'n Bob sells his goodies. If you believe you benefit from it - spend the dough. Have at it.

As for being on the same side - my friend I would never associate myself with anyone who might be willing to take advantage of youngsters looking to get a start in this profession.
    Last edited by JackTee09; 07-20-2005 at 08:45 PM.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

MembersZone Subscriber

My main issue of contention here is that in the "101 Secrets" there is a link to a site which advocate cheating to pass the polygraph. If you have to cheat to pass a poly, I don't want to work with you. Apparently, nothing does count until you have the badge, including honesty during the process.
    Last edited by F18Wub; 07-20-2005 at 08:57 PM.
    IACOJ, Flatlander Division

Forum Member

F18WUB:

Apparently you found what many people are finding after looking at the site. It is as George Wendt stated!
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

MembersZone Subscriber

I do think that there are some interesting concepts on there, but can't understand circumventing the process. The process is there for a reason, chances are if you have to lie on the poly, something will trip in the background to toss you. I passed my polygraphs the old fashioned way, telling the truth, and keeping my nose clean in my youth to make sure I could do what I wanted.
    IACOJ, Flatlander Division

Forum Member

Kind of ironic in this thread, or on these forums, that someone would complain about the treatment of youngsters.

Forum Member

Default How soon you forget?

but can't understand circumventing the process.

I believe in preparing for every step in the hiring process before you get there. I think many who are responding on this thread have been on the job long enough that they have forgotten how tough it is or might not know how difficult it is today to make it through the maze.

After you have jumped through all the flaming hoops you donít want to be caught flat-footed for the remaining steps in the hiring process.

Is it circumventing the process to prepare for the written and physical agility portions of the testing process? You can spin this anyway you want. But ask yourself if you would you show up without preparing for the written? Not in shape for the physical agility? Have you discovered you just canít wing the oral? Then, why doesnít it make since to prepare for the remaining portions of the hiring process, the background, psych, poly and medical?

I do think that there are some interesting concepts on there

Thank you

My main issue of contention here is that in the "101 Secrets" http://eatstress.com/faq.htm there is a link to a site which advocate cheating to pass the polygraph.

Really? So with over 250 pages of free information on the web site youíre stuck on the notion that there is a link to a web site that advocates cheating, not educating yourself on what to expect in the poly?

Exploder805 wrote:

One of the questions on many (if not most/all) polygraph tests is "have you read or sought out information on 'how to beat a polygraph'?"....

Well, not always.

What FF/PM1 Wrote here is what I believe and encourage candidates to understand:

Yes, I was asked if I had researched polygraphs in my pre-interview, but not in the actual polygraph exam. The examiner asked me why I researched polygraphs? Was I going to manipulate it? I said of course not, but I always study before going into a test, I knew nothing about polygraphs prior to my hiring process and wanted to know what they are about.

While I am a big advocate of honesty in the hiring process, I am also an advocate on RESEARCH prior to entering into a new portion of the hiring process.

This does not make you a "cheater" or "dishonest" for wanting to know what you are getting yourself into, just thorough.

I researched every step of my hiring process. I learned everything I could about interviews, medicals, psych exams, polygraphs, backgrounds...not because I was trying to manipulate the system with deception or dishonesty, but I wanted to know what is next.

Honesty was the foundation of everything during my hiring process. I used this formula.....

If asked, a truthful answer was always given.

If asked a question, I would answer the question honestly then be quiet.

All other times I sat there with my mouth shut.

I have had friends fail polygraphs, not because they were dishonest, but they were not educated for what they were getting into. They sat down and were honest, but when answering one of the polygrpaher's questions, they would answer the question and then ADD additional info not even asked for. This ultimately led to their demise.

Learning about a polygraph does not mean I am trying to cheat it. Were you trying to cheat by going to fire stations and finding out what types of questions may be asked on the oral interview? No, you just wanted to be prepared.

Be honest, be prepared and be consistent.
    Last edited by CaptBob; 07-21-2005 at 12:58 AM.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

You see, cheating on the polygraph is fine. Lying about DUI's is fine. Anything else you have to do is fine, because the end justifies the means.

There is a valuable service he is providing here. Do you know that there are hundreds of FD's across the country that cannot find qualified applicants? Would you want to crawl down a blazing hallway alone simply because too few people bought Bobby's services? He may be the fire service savior!

Forum Member

Default How does this make sence?

As witnessed above, when you don't agree with George he becomes a distillery of meanness.

George will probably take this as a compliment.

Forum Member

when you don't agree with George he becomes a distillery of meanness.

Gee Cap'n Bobby - would you rather be known as mean or as a snake oil salesman?

Cap'n Bobby further states:

Really? So with over 250 pages of free information on the web site youíre stuck on the notion that there is a link to a web site that advocates cheating, not educating yourself on what to expect in the poly?
    Yes Bobby - because you know it is there-you know it is wrong-and yet you do nothing. That is technically known as "Mutt" level stuff, or, perhaps in the world of professional "coaches" it is simply business as usual.
    Last edited by JackTee09; 07-21-2005 at 03:49 PM.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

Default Snake oil salesman?

JackTee09 wrote:
    You take advantage - which is not something that a brother would ever do.

Are college, medic academy programs free? Do the instructors get paid? Are the books free? Hardly.

Which is not something that a brother would ever do.

Do you realize youíre on a commercial web site that many positions are staffed with in service firefighters? Take a look around this page. Are there advertisements? Are they free? Links to web sites that could be owned or staffed by off duty firefighters. There are sections you canít go into on this site unless you subscribe. And those subscription services are a bargain, full of valuable information. Most authored by firefighters.

Why is it that candidates will pay big money for college programs, certification classes, EMT programs, books, fire academies, paramedic programs, put their life, relations and other careers on hold for a fire career?

Then, there seems to be something sinister or wrong for someone to provide a service or develop and sell products for the part of the hiring process that is 100% of your score to get hired.

The vast majority of those who visit our web site only utilize the ton of free services. I work with candidates all the time that never spent a dime on our programs. They utilized the FREE information off our web site, have phone calls and e-mail messages answered in helping them pursuit their badge.

Is it taking advantage or giving candidates an advantage?

Yes, we have products. We donít hold a gun to any ones head to buy them. Do any of the classes or programs offer a refund if youíre not satisfied? Nope. We do. We offer a no questions asked full refund if someone is not satisfied with our products. We will refund their money and misery. No on has ever lost a penny with our products.

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default this is my problem

NEVER FAIL A POLYGRAPH TEST!

TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR CHART!

Learn how to ALWAYS pass with my manual, training video/DVD and my expert personal consultation!

It is a very serious mistake to believe that you will pass your polygraph or CVSA tests just because you are telling the truth - they are not "lie detectors". Scientific research proves that simple nervousness will cause a truthful person to fail! What that means is that over 50% of honest, truthful people will FAIL their tests just because they are nervous!

Don't let that happen to you! I can teach you how to ALWAYS PASS even if you are nervous, (or lying) - no matter what...GUARANTEED!

Capt Bob.
    I must admit that I personally used your free advice on these forums to help me through the interview process. And I thank you for that but I do have a real problem when you send people to a website that has the above lead in. The website is www.polygraph.com. I have seen you advise people to use this site. I find it abhorrent that as a Retired firefighter you would refer someone to a web page that advocates lying and cheating. If you want to assist future firemen in their quest for a badge this is not the site to do it. Why not come up with your own system that teaches the prospective firemen how to be calm and honest and not speak to much. I personally don't care if you make money off of people that want to pursue this career. That is the American way. Far be it from me to stifle capitalism. BUT.....your endorsement of this website should stop.
    I am fairly new to the forums here and I do see that both you and George have said and done things to try to help others. Each in your own way. I don't necessarily agree with George on all issues. I think he is brash and sometimes carries a chip on his shoulder. But I do know from what he posts that he is concerned about the state of affairs in the Fire world. He wants Firemen to be thought of as honest, Reliable, and trustworthy. Teaching people how to cheat and lie only denegrates this profession.
    I am sure I can add more but I think I will leave it alone for now. This is my .02 worth.

Thread Information