Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Originally posted by JackTee09
    I wonder if Bob ever had an oral interview for Battalion Chief? If so - he must have had problems.
    WHAT? How can you make such a bogus statement when you
    have never meet or worked with the person?

Making such false statements like this sure do less your creditbility and make you look more the fool.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 07-22-2005 at 11:19 AM.

WHAT? How can you make such a false statement when you have never meet the person?
    CAL:

First - note the rolled eyes in my post - they are meant to convey emotion. I posed the question indicating that I did not know if he had ever had an interview. Then, and follow this closely, since he retired I made the leap of imagination that he must have had an interview but maybe had problems...since he never moved up. It could have been that he never wanted to move up-which is fine-lots of people don't move up. Then ROB posted a beaut of a statement and I commented on that - that is it. And ROB really posted a humdinger!!
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

I made the leap of imagination that he must have had an interview but maybe had problems...since he never moved up.
    Right there, you just backed up my statement again. You used
    your imagination. You really dont know. He says he has moved
    up and I believe him.

As for the polygraph, I have never taken one. Am I a cheater?
    No. Do I want to sidestep the process? No. But I do want to
    do in prepared and have some info. on the process.

I know of several candidates that have been screwed by
    over-zealous polygraphers. Sometimes the power goes to their
    head.

Capt. Bob has helped me. He is a good person. The two of you
    attacking him in here errodes your credibility.

And again, NONE of you have showed me any other websites out
    there to referance.

Forum Member

Default Yep

It could have been that he never wanted to move up-which is fine-lots of people don't move up.

That's true. No I didn't have problems taking the BC's test. I acted and worked in the position for 6 months when the regular BC had surgery. I didn't care for the position.

ROB posted a beaut of a statement and I commented on that - that is it. And ROB really posted a humdinger!!

Humdinger? Rob was right too. The department had a policy that if you failed the test you couldn't act. Even though I didn't take the next test, I had passed the previous one and was asked to fill in when needed.

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Taking the test and not wanting the job is actually a fairly common practice on the west coast. Itís called keeping your options open and keeping your test taking skills sharp. I would say about 40% of the people that take the test in my department donít take the job when offered. One guy took it and then self demoted back to captain a few years ago. Itís a totally different job. Youíre not ďone of the guysĒ any more, youíre ď one of themĒ.

But, even though he didnít take the job when offered, his experience at taking the test as well as the experience he gained while doing it, is why he is so successful at helping people get promoted to B/C, or even becoming chief. If you were wondering about his motivation, I would say he did it for the experience, and also so that he could better help people that were interested attain their goal of being B/C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Capt. Bob,
    I understand where you are coming from and why you do what you do. I understand wanting to be prepared to take the poly. I myself took the time to do a little research to find out what happens. I don't even care if you are making a living by helping others. Horray for capitalism. But I do not like the scare tactic that you use. I have yet to see a post where you tell someone anything encouraging about going through the poly. I see horror story after horror story about this examiner being out to get you and how they are not your friend and all they want to do is fail you. That Sir is total BS. Your horror stories, I believe are isolated events. But I agree with you, canidates need to be prepared. But the website that you commonly refer people to advocates cheating and lying to get through it. Which begs the question, If Sir you believe in honesty throughout the whole process why would you refer anyone to a website that advocates such behavior. I understand that you are not affiliated with him but referal to said website implies full endorsement of his practices. I personally believe Polygrahs should go away. But they are the rules and we should abide by them, Fight to change them, but never break or cheat them.
    Instead of invoking fear and trepidation to sell stuff. Just tell teach them what it is all about. How it works and how to take the test. Don't tell them how to cheat. (or send them to someone who does.) I believe that it is wrong to do so. Personally when I posted on these forums that I got the call and I said I was not nervous at all about the poly, you replied with a horror story. I was not nervous but you made it sound like I should have been. I felt that it was the wrong approach. I felt like you were trying to scare me into purchasing your products. Not a viable buisness plan if you ask me. don't use horror stories but explain why canidates need to be prepared.

chrnea- I admit, I have only briefly viewed Capt. Bob's
    polygraph information.

From I have read, he does not indicate any lying or cheating.
    I do think he trys to pass along "not creating land mines".
    The best example might be- Have you tried pot? Better to
    give a short and sweet answer of "Yes, once in high school
    and I didnt like it and havent since" than some long drama
    answer of 10-15 minutes.

I might be wrong there, but thats what I got.

I call them like I see them. If I thought Bob was dirty
    or selling snake oil, I would throw the flag. (I admit 5-6
    years ago, I cautious) He is not. I think he started
    helping out people and it just snowballed.

Again, resources are limited out there and very, very few
    people are going to be giving stuff away for free or set up
    a website for FAQs. Do you know a better site?

Thats just the way it is and I think people in here should
    stop attacking him or anyone else.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 07-22-2005 at 02:07 PM.

Again, resources are limited out there.
    Really? Resurces are so limited that there is no shortage of candidates who are hired without the help of a "guru"?

Do you know a better site?
    Why? Does there need to be a website?

Just because a site exists and others do not does not mean that it is valuable. Especially if it offers up questionable material.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

JackTee09- Ummmm, let me ask you something? Have you
    been testing for a job lately? Stood in line with
    thousands of other candidates?

And if you do make it through a process, invested
    hundreds of dollars, only to fail out because of a
    mistake or comment made to a background investigator?

Tell ya what, I have been there. Its expensive on both the
    wallet, brain and heart. You want the job, youre qualified
    and now you even have to complete with affirmative action.

Its a rough field out there and brother, any help, "guru",
    website, phone call is worth it. BECAUSE IF YOURE NOT
    GETTING ANY HELP OR COACHING, YOUR COMPETETION IS.
    What proof? Here- http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=72064

Professional sports, movie stars, executives, anything...
    Someone got some where because someone helped them.

Now if you and George are the exception. More love to you.
    But trying to get a career Firefighter job in todays market
    is literaly like trying to win the lottery. You just have to
    make your own numbers line up.

Lastly- Your last post was reaching. Please look around
    and get a real feel for the process out there. Ok?

-Bou
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 07-22-2005 at 03:47 PM.

Why? Does there need to be a website?
    Yes, there does. People have questions and need answers.
    Here is the proof right here-
    http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/for...s=&forumid=366

Ummmm, let me ask you something? Have you been testing for a job lately? Stood in line with thousands of other candidates?
    Yes - with my brothers son. He went through the procees - the entire process - and had to wait. He was never told to try and circumvent any step of the process nor was he advised at anytime that the bottom line was the badge-even for the sake of honor. He did this in a large city many miles away and was appointed. The pride that we feel for him was in his belief that the job he wanted to do was an honorable job, a noble endeavour, not something to be "had" but something to aspire to - so in defending Captain Bobby don't mistake that there are many people out here who counsel young people - but do so with the spirit of the service in mind.

We all read daily about firefighters who have gone bad in a hurry - how many do you think might have approached the fire service with the goal - All that matters is the badge!

Revolting.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Thats great...for him. Did he get a job on the very first
    try? If he did, that happens like 1 out of 2000 times.

Now what about YOU? Have you ever been in the process?
    Competed for a job? A CPAT, oral, agility, background,
    medical, etc. Its a lot of work. And to do all of that
    and get your teeth kicked in is hard.

All for the badge? Bob has explained his theroy before
    and I buy into it because I have heard all the stories
    from the candidates. From "I got this to I got that.
    I know Chief XXX and so and so. I am a 3rd generation
    Firefighter but not really employeed, etc..."

The stories are nice, but the candidates cant deliver
    the total package to get tired. Sure they have the drama
    part down.

And, have YOU ever heard ME tell anyone to lie or cheat
    to get anything in here? No. I only direct people where
    to go to find answers I cant give on my own.

Please dont attack me in here now. Much like my profession,
    I am only here to help.

-Bou

Have you ever been in the process?
    Yes

Competed for a job? A CPAT, oral, agility, background, medical
    Yes

Its a lot of work.
    Indeed.

And to do all of that and get your teeth kicked in is hard
    So you advocate a 100% success rate for EVERY CANDIDATE? Anyone can come on the job - theives, arsonists? All because they worked hard and shouldn't be kicked in the teeth by a process?

And, have YOU ever heard ME tell anyone to lie or cheat
    No. Have I accused of any of that? Or have I questioned some of the approaches that your Cap'n Bobby would have people take? You took exception to what was being put to him - you choose to give reasons that he himself cannot give. So, don't infer anyone is attacking you because I know I AM NOT. It's all about the so called service Cap'n Bobby is offering - and when I stop talking about it someone else will-because unknown to you there are more than a handful of people who question the approach that Bobby takes.

Now pass the soda - these pretzels are making me thirsty!
    Last edited by JackTee09; 07-22-2005 at 05:00 PM.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

MembersZone Subscriber

Let's get a couple of things straight.

1. I NEVER questioned that Bobby is a good guy. I NEVER questioned his fire fighting knowledge or ability, or his ability to manage people.

2. I NEVER criticized Bobby for running a business. Capitalism is a wonderful thing. I have a side business and I would recommend it for all of you. What I criticize is his constantly flouting the TOS by direct marketing his wares on this site. As I said, I cannot explain why the WT chooses to ignore this.

3. I also believe that some of the advice the offers young candidates is unethical and borderline dihonest. I have clearly explained myself on this and I am not going to do this again.

4. I certainly do not "follow" Bobby aroind. If you took notice, most of my 5000 posts are right here on this forum. I also post on the Inspections and Investigations forum and the Volunteer forum. To my knowledge the only place that I have engagaed Bobby is right here. That hardly constitutes following him around.

5. Yes. Every time he markets his wares, I repot it to the WT. If I didn't, I would have no right to bitch about him.

6. I have never been a fier inspector. I would also most certainly agree that you shuoldn't base the way you live your life on the opinions of a bald, fat, old, ugly retired fire investigator from North Jersey.

Oral boards make the cream rise to the top and if I choosen to use Capt Bob on my first oral I would have passed it instead of being one of the 50% that didnt.
    Interesting comment. Does this mean you weren't qualified for the job until reading his free advice? And that somehow, reading someones website now makes you a better qualified firefighter?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

bones42 ?? what dont you understand.

where did i ever say that i got qualified for the job of FF from Capt Bob's material?

did you read my post or just shooting from the hip like the other two juveniles.

ok one more time for bones42, lets say 400 people take a FF ENTRY LEVEL EXAM. ENTRY LEVEL bones42, which pretty much means you need to have atleast a high school diploma, to be qualified of the job of FF. when did Capt bob start handing out diplomas? is this somthing i missed or are you pulling a jacktee and imaging things being said.

ok 400 canidates, all take the written exam and 220 pass with a, lets say 90 or above.

on to the physical agility part of the testing phase. out of the 220, 200 pass the agility. ok r you with me so far, if im going to fast i will slowwww dowwwnn for you.

200 left guess what is coming up... tadaaa its the oral exam. ok the dept. is testing for a whole total of 4 positions to open in the next year and the only thing that is going to seperate me from the 200 canidates is how i do on the oral exam.....

if i cant present the package which i've already stated i had trouble doing the first time around then im not going to have a chance in hell of being one of the 4 lucky canidates.

when did i ever suggest that i went to capt bob to be a better qualified firefighter? when? i went to bob to help me present who i am. pretty simple ehhh.

have you gone through any ENTRY LEVEL FF exams as of lately? do you have a clue on how competitive it is or like i said, just shooting from the hip.

capt bobs material helped me not be a better qualified FF as you have mistakenly understood it to do for some unjust reason, it helped me present the package (myself) to a panel of people i didnt know that i was more then qualified to be a FF.

did you read my post or just shooting from the hip like the other two juveniles.
    As one of the two that you mention above could I request that you use a dictionary?? Just Joking!!
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

MembersZone Subscriber

As one of the two that you mention above could I request that you use a dictionary?? Just Joking!!
    what did i misspell?

SPY:

It was meant to add a little levity to an already beaten horse thread. But, since you asked - canidate is not the word - it is candidate. In addition punctuation is not always vital for ee cummings made a life's work from avoiding it. However, in long posts where the intent is to draw the reader in often times the result is to get stuck on the errors.

As for the entire Cap'n Bob&Weave situation it is a fact that no matter how many "satisfied customers" pop up - he himself has done damage to his own credibility by the very nature of the types of "defenses" presented by you and others. The sad part is that you don't recognize this...and blindly go on pushing his wares while most have made their mind up.

My best to you!
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

MembersZone Subscriber

I am personally grateful for the advice that Capt bob has offered here. I think it helped me land the #1 spot for the dept I was dreaming to get on. I take my medical exam on monday and hope to start in Oct.
    I have no problem with him even selling his product here. My only concern is how he approaches the subject sometime. The Scare tactic approach really rubbed me the wrong way. maybe I misread what it said but do a search on the word polygraph and the thread titled "got the call" and you will see the scare tactic that I am talking about. As it happens to be I am not some young pup fresh out of high school or college but I spent over 8 years running and teaching people to run nuclear reactors in the Navy. Followed by over five years in the corporate world. If I wasn't at the place in life that I am in now. I would have been scared. This was inappropriate. I have a real problem with that.
    I do not believe that Capt Bob truly advocates lying and cheating to get the badge.....BUT the website he promotes on a regular basis promotes lying. (never mind the fact that the gentleman on the website is an arrogant... well never mind.)This I do not agree with. If I had the time to more fully research it I am quite sure I could come up with a better website than his. Not one telling how to beat the Poly but how it works and why someone who has nothing to hide has no reason to fear it. I have said it before but again I disagree with the use of the poly. but it is the rule of law that must be followed until it changes.
    I think that if you look back at my posts, I have never impugned the character of Capt Bob or stated that he was a snake oil salesman or insulted him in any way . I just want to know why he seems to be on both sides of the street on this issue. Choose honesty and promote it. Or choose the side that says "Damn the man and his syste, and then tries to find ways to circumvent the process.
    I think it is like this. The polygraph is a flawed system just like the judicial system. But it is the system we have and it is the best system we have. If we want to change it then we lobby and make our views known. But how many felons and other sordid characters have been kept away just because there is a polygraph and they might get found out. Now we have people who sit here and tell these same low life scum how to bypass the filter. Personally I would much rather have the filter, possibly filter out a few good with the bad and keep the bad out. IMHO.

Thread Information