Forum Member

Default what to expect in an interview?

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I'm interviewing with a panel of chiefs for an on-call position on Thursday. This is my first interview with a fire department. They said it would last about 15 minutes..Can anyone tell me what to expect? I've done a few regular job interviews in the past one on one but never with 5 people. I guess I'm a little nervous. Thanks for any advice or heads up.
    -Matt

MembersZone Subscriber

It's okay, take a deep breath! Instead of one person talking to you and listening to you the entire time, there will be 5. No different! Make sure you make eye contact with everyone in the panel at one point or another.

MembersZone Subscriber

goto the search option on this site and search oral board and you will find tons of great information on what to do, what not todo, what questions might be asked and how to prepare.

Permanently Removed

First go here-

http://www.firerecruit.com/index.las...FC653D29304EE0

THEN go here and really read it over-

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Expect to be very nervous, and prepare to be able to talk about yourself.

Best 90 bucks i spent www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by spyonline
    Expect to be very nervous, and prepare to be able to talk about yourself.

Best 90 bucks i spent www.eatstress.com
    Excuse me? I thought it was free?

MembersZone Subscriber

George , when I looked it over, I found it similar to Firehouse.com. It is similar in that there is free information, but there is also some "for sale advice". This advice I beleive is pretty much custom tailored to each individual.

Those who know for sure, is that an accurate description ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by pvfire424
    George , when I looked it over, I found it similar to Firehouse.com. It is similar in that there is free information, but there is also some "for sale advice". This advice I beleive is pretty much custom tailored to each individual.

Those who know for sure, is that an accurate description ?
    Oh. My bad. I was under the impression that Cap'm Bobby was a philanthropist.

Forum Member

Your interviewing in front of a panel of chiefs? Expect to be smarter than the panel.

Ha!
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

It really depends on the type of department. I was hired back in 2003 by a Volunteer Fire Company {There are six of us on the Career Staff} and the interview was conducted by 3 people. The Chief at the time, The Ambulance Captain, and the Fire Company President.

It wasn't what I would call a typical Interview {Basically a B.S Session about the company and the job description} - I was hired that same evening.

Even though it was suppossed to be a "Laid Back" Interview I still came prepared with Certifications, a list of questions for the employer {Memorized before the interview} and the good 'ol suit and tie

Good Luck you'll be fine I'm sure

Forum Member

Default Accurate

pvfire424 wrote:

That's accurate.

Weíve been available for years to answer the large volume of phone calls and e-mails, college programs, articles, Pod Casts, A web site with over 250 pages of information on "Inside Secrets How to Get a Badge, an email newsletter, all FREE

I work with candidates all the time that never spent a dime on our programs. They utilized the FREE information off our web site, have phone calls and e-mail messages answered in helping them pursuit their badge.

Yes, we have products. We donít hold a gun to any ones head to buy them. Do any of the classes or programs offer a refund if youíre not satisfied? Nope. We do. We offer a no questions asked full refund if someone is not satisfied with our products. We will refund their money and misery. No on has ever lost a penny with our products.

But George has demonstrate a pattern of taking cheap shots when someone refers candidates to our resources as he has done in this posting above.

In a previous posting GeorgeWendtCFI replied with:

I do not follow Cap'n Bobby around. I rarely post on any other forum u this one.

So what are you doing here again George? The toll free number has been in previous postings. If you want to talk to me call me on my dime.

I have asked George before without a reply:

Instead of putting this into another one of your cute creative spins like you have done above in this posting, why donít you just direct us to your previous postings where you helped motivate, encourage and directed candidates to resources that helped them achieve their badges?

From a previous posting: http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sh...15&pagenumber=5

I have been looking back through past post to try and figure out why George is sooo mad a Capt Bob. While it does seem no one is allowed to disagree or express a different point of view from Goerge, but he takes special care of following Capt Bob around to shoot spit balls at him.

From the same posting:
    There seem to be dozens of examples where Capt Bob will post an opinion, or answer a question, and George comes right in with an attack on this retired guy, not on his opinion or advise, but his person. Why would somebody do this? I think I figured it out. He is jealous. Capt Bob retired from a career as a fireman. . . Capt Bob is a positive thinker and does all of this stuff because he likes to help people, Iím sure he makes some money from selling stuff, but Iíll bet itís not much. George seems to have a very aggressive, almost mean attitude when he posts. I really think he wishes he was Capt Bob.

George, if you want to talk with him about how mad he makes you, why not send him a personal message, the rest of us are getting tired of it. Is this Firehouse.com, or ďDonít disagree with George.comĒ?

The proof is in the badge.

You can find more on testing secrets in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob" Author, Becoming A Firefighter, Conquer Fire Department Oral Boards and It's Your Turn in the Hot Seat.

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959
    Last edited by CaptBob; 07-16-2005 at 11:47 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't follow you around Bobby. I am here all the time. About 4500 of my posts are right here on this forum.

You will also notice that I never posted a word when other people directed posters to your site. Never said a word. The post you refer to is a post when a person stated that he paid $90 for your stuff. All I kept hearing was how your stuff was free. That equates to selling your services on this forum and it is againt the TOS. Plain and simple. Why the WT refuses to do anything is a mystery to me.

I also feel absolutely zero obligfation to answer to a shameless self promoter that violates the TOS with virtually every post-seemingly with impunity.

I have two problems with you:

1. You give advice to young people desperate to get a position with the fire service that is unethical and borderline dishonest.

2. You are a shameless self promoter that violates the TOS with virtually every post-seemingly with impunity.

If you don't like it, too bad.
    Last edited by GeorgeWendtCFI; 07-16-2005 at 02:20 PM.

Forum Member

Default Malcontent

No George. A candidate asked a question. Someone gave him a resource. Instead of adding a resource of some good advice you added one of your cute spin cheap shots.

I will ask you again with your mucho postings on everything under the sun:

Instead of putting this into another one of your cute creative spins like you have done above in this posting, why donít you just direct us to your previous postings where you helped motivate, encourage and directed candidates to resources that helped them achieve their badges?

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Malcontent

Originally posted by CaptBob
    No George. A candidate asked a question. Someone gave him a resource. Instead of adding a resource of some good advice you added one of your cute spin cheap shots.

I will ask you again with your mucho postings on everything under the sun:

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com
    I will tell you again that I feel no obligation or need to answer to you.

I will also tell you that your characerization of my first post in reference to you on this thread is blatantly untrue,

Forum Member

Captain Bob:

I must confess to having never heard of you until now. Such is life because I am sure you don't know me either.

Apparently you are quite successful at giving seminars but among the seminars listed I see none that indicate any that were given to firefighters. Instead they seem to be to corporations.

In addition, though I am loathe to admit it, George seems to be on target. Now, I admit, I could very well be wrong but after going through your site the doubts about what you provide are immense. If you are indeed a successful coach and mentor you might invest in a better website that does not repeat the same information ad nauseum.

Perhaps if the information was condensed and the resume example updated to reflect the appropriate catchwords that recruiters look for it wouldn't come across as being...well a bit skeevy.

My best wishes to anyone trying to obtain employment as a firefighter. In your desire don't let desperation ever take over.

Forum Member

JackTee09
    Apparently you are quite successful at giving seminars but among the seminars listed I see none that indicate any that were given to firefighters.

In case you missed some of the major sections of our web site, here are some examples found in the site map:

The last firefighter seminar was at Chabot College in Hayward California on June 22, 2005. Hereís the announcement: http://www.chabotfire.com/0505News.pdf

You can listen to segments from our live firefighter seminars here: http://eatstress.com/mp3entryintro.htm

Here are more than 150 FAQís http://eatstress.com/faq.htm

More than 4 years of newsletters http://eatstress.com/firezine_signup.htm

More than 50 pages of success stories from candidates who benefited from our information: http://eatstress.com/testbest.htm

JackTee09 Maybe you overlooked the theme of this post in addition to the major sections of our web site. I would hope that you would have something to offer the candidate who started the post with:

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I'm interviewing with a panel of chiefs for an on-call position on Thursday. This is my first interview with a fire department. They said it would last about 15 minutes. Can anyone tell me what to expect? I've done a few regular job interviews in the past one on one but never with 5 people. I guess I'm a little nervous. Thanks for any advice or heads up.
    -Matt

Matt: You can find answers to your inquiry in the Chiefs Oral Section here: http://eatstress.com/faq.htm

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com
    Last edited by CaptBob; 07-16-2005 at 10:37 PM.

Forum Member

CaptBob:

Nice answers Captain Bob and you responded as we thought you would---by providing more links to your services instead of composing the message with sufficient fresh thought.

As for offering candidates advice there are any number of ways for people to find out about what is required, and how to deal with, everything from Resumes to oral interviews. Perhaps you would consider giving away ten "Gold Packages" to the next ten people who respond via this thread.

This is America and you have the right to sell your services and people will buy them because people also once bought the "Pet Rock." That is advertising and targeting a market - with you providing the answer for people who are desperate enough to pay money for it.

It's obvious that you benefit from selling your services here and in that regard, as in others relating to this thread, Mr. Wendt is 100% correct.
    Last edited by JackTee09; 07-17-2005 at 12:44 AM.

There are certainly some people who tend to prey on young men who want a fire service career. I am in agreement with Windt, the fire investigator. This site seems highly questionable when it comes to ethics.
    All of the free information is nothing more than what you can find out by checking out a book at the library about any career. True, some kids don't know all of the information they need to know but at what point in life has any of us known all we need to know.
    It reminds me of a bookies joint. You know when you see one no matter what is says it stinks underneath. Of course my only trips to a bookies joint was on a call but this site gave me that feeling. One lad referred to it as similiar to a used car lot. Thats not bad either.
    As for hm advertising his website can't the contributors to the site do that? I thought if you were a contributing guy that you got free reign to ads but I maybe wrong.
    What a shame that men who are supposed to look after each other instead use a title as a means to a little money.

Forum Member

Back on topic for the thread starter....

When I interviewed infront of 6 people from my dept... The one question that i was asked was, if you and your partner were in a house on a CO call, and the family had been evacuated, and you were in there and there was a plate of fresh baked of cookies, and your partner took one, what would you do.. I answered tell him to put it back. This to which the responce I got was, if you ever come to my house, and do that, keep the damn cookie.

For me they asked alot of moral questions, decision making, and stuff to that sort... Be prepared to sweat alot... wear deordiant.

Forum Member

Mattw82. On the web sites listed by ďcalffbouĒ, you will find the most common asked questions given in an oral interview. The secret is to get your answers to those questions set in your mind. So when you are nervous sitting in the chair in front of the chiefs, you arenít trying to come up with them on the spot. I would especially have memorized, well thought out, well planned answers to questions asking what you have done to prepare, and why do you want to work for their department. Remember, you are going to be talking about the department that those chiefs run, so the better you can make it sound, the more they will like you. All of the people interviewing you had to sit in that same chair and ask for the job just like you are, they know how it feels.

On another note. I would love to know why a young person cannot post an honest question asking about getting into the fire service, without having people hijack the post to complain about someone selling stuff?

Four people posted to give advice, and then ďGeorgeĒ wants to know why Capt Bobís stuff isnít free. George why donít you post something to help this guy out? You have covered your dislike for Capt Bob enough other places, why here? It wasnít even Capt Bob who posted it, but a few people giving their advice, how dare they.

Then a couple of guys who have been members for 5 minutes come in and one decides someone should give stuff away because he said so. Interesting that you and George are both from New Jersey, is it something in the water? The other one compares helping people to get hired to running a bookie shop, where is the correlation there.
    I said it before, Iíll say it again, why donít you start a thread called ďI donít like Capt BobĒ, and let people with legitimate questions get the help and assistance that this sight was designed for. Or hereís a thought, if you donít want Capt Bob the help them, why donít you guys do it. You seem to have plenty of energy to complain about the quality of his sight, you could have spent the same amount of time using your vast knowledge of the fire service to answer this kids simple question. Be a helper not a hater.
    Last edited by Poodle; 07-17-2005 at 10:10 PM.

Forum Member

Interesting that you and George are both from New Jersey, is it something in the water?
    Yes. It is called a built in BS detector. And its going off on this Captain Bob thing.

Matt:

There are a million brothers who have gone through the process. Somehow we all made it. You will as well. If you want to invest money then go right ahead and perhaps it will pay off. Enough determination will bring about a career in the fire service. Talk to the people on the job where you are apllying to - especially the newer people.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

Mattw82, most of the time these boards are very straight-forward. They will ask you questions. Why do you want to be on the dept? What do you think you can contribute to the dept? Why should we accept you? I think you're better off answering these questions honestly, not be saying what you think they want to hear. They've heard it before and can smell it a mile off. Be CONFIDENT in yourself. Don't think you have to answer as quickly as possible, think about it and answer honestly and with conviction. Sometimes these guys will try to trip you up and get you to flip flop on something. If you answer honestly you can be consistant and confident in your answers. Good luck with your interview!

Forum Member

Default Offer??

JackTee09 wrote:
    Perhaps you would consider giving away ten "Gold Packages"

We have had a weekly drawing for our products for the last six years here: http://eatstress.com/weeklydrawing.htm

JackTee09 Since you have such a strong interest here, I will take you up on your challenge of giving away 10 of our entry level Gold Package Programs http://eatstress.com/goldpackage.htm if you will pay for the shipping. Deal?

I suggest another thread be started in the Job Discussion section to run for a week. Anyone interested in obtaining a program would post why they thinkg they should receive one of the 10 programs in 200 words or less. You can help decide the winners.

JackTee09 wrote:
    There are a million brothers who have gone through the process. Somehow we all made it. You will as well. If you want to invest money then go right ahead and perhaps it will pay off.

True. But itís how long can you tread water that becomes the problem. We just try to shorten the learning curve to the shortest distance between the candidate and the badge.

As one recent candidate wrote:

I just received my oral board score for my last oral board. The score did not represent how I felt I did during the interview. This is a big problem for me because I now realize that I DON'T KNOW what the board was looking for. I've been preparing for these orals for months and felt extremely prepared. I don't want to waste another oral board opportunity without knowing that I've done all that I can to be the best candidate possible. Thank you for your time Sir. Regards, Fire Recruit Jeff

Matt: If you will e-mail me, I can give you more information for your chiefs oral.

"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek."óMario Andretti, Race Car Driver

Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Captain Bob Author,
    Becoming A Firefighter

www.eatstress.com
    Last edited by CaptBob; 07-17-2005 at 11:44 PM.

Forum Member

Sure Cap'n Bob - I will pay the shipping. All I ask is that I get to see what nuggets are in the Gold Package. But yeah - no problem.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

MembersZone Subscriber

It's all about marketing Bobby, isn't it? Never miss an opportunity, even when people who are not 19 yoa kids desperate for a FF job are calling you out for what you are.

Thread Information