Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Question on Driving Record, please help!

I'm a 24 year old in Tampa, FL. I have finished F/F cert., EMT cert., and am currently in Paramedic school. I really want to work in Pasco County (just North of Hillsborough) and am trying to get an idea of how much they will look at my driving record. I have not had the best of luck with my driving record, I had a truck that atracted a lot of attention and got me in a lot of trouble with "the law". I have 24 guilty traffic offenses, not all with points, some stupid stuff like improper equipment, etc. I only have a few speeding violations. I know this looks bad, but the last violation was on 2/6/01, so it's been almost 4.5 years since I've been convicted of a traffic violation. My question is how bad does this look to the dept. and will they take into consideration that I was young and stupid and have since cleaned up my driving record? Thanks a lot guys.

Forum Member

51 views and no one can help me, please guys...

24 convicions is pretty bad, i think i herd somthing about traffic violations being cleared off your record 5 years after they happened, i dont know how it works in your state. you should contact someone at your local dmv try to get your driving record and find out what the laws in your satte are about your record

MembersZone Subscriber

In Tennessee you can go down to the DMV and pay $5 bucks and get a driving history in yourself (3-5-10 years back). The one the prospective fire dept will pull might be more in-depth, but atleast it would give you an idea. Plus, you can't run from your past. I would apply everywhere I wanted to work and be up-front. Better to be up-front about it then have them find out later. That looks really bad.

Forum Member

Yea I was upfront and honest, of course. But this dept. I really wanna work at. I hope they beleive that I was just young and dumb. Thanks

Exclamation

Well....unfortunately I am going to be straight forward and honest with you: You are wasting your time. You will not get hired with a driving record like that. I have sat in on interviews with recruits regarding their past. In my area, job hunting is extremely competetive and even one speeding ticket within the past 5 years can be detremental to your record. There are several reasons why I say this:

1. A municipality can not legally insure you with a record like that. You are 24 and you already have 24 tickets?? There is no way a dept. could even think about letting you behind the wheel of a vehicle with their name on it. Imagine the scrutiny the dept. would be in if you caused an accident.

2. You drove a truck that drew alot of attention? The only way it draws alot of attention is if its illegal. Let me guess....a loud obnoxious exhaust system on it??

3. Depts. realize people aren't perfect...and that people learn from their mistakes...but 24 mistakes??

4. Atleast in my area, volly depts and private EMS can't even touch you with that driving record.

Again, I am in NO WAY bashing you for your situation. However, you are young enough to start thinking about a new career. It sounds like you got those tickets back in high school and college....guess you did't think all of that recklessness was going to catch up to you.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have to agree with the above post. Most departments are going to have a hard time getting you past risk management. There is no way their insurance company would go for it. I know guys that were refused jobs because of three tickets.

You said that was your past and you learned from your mistakes. Let me translate this into how the Fire Department will view this. It took you 24 times to fix something! That is inexcusable even if you were young and dumb. What this behavior screams is that you are defiant and unwilling to conform. You may have changed now, but they will think that the bad behavior possibility is still there. Did you think you were above the law to continue getting ticket after ticket?
    Reckless behavior and disregard for the rules will get someone killed or injured.

I think you are still a risk just based on your name that you chose.

Fast Stang XXX

So you have a fast mustang and you fantasize about racing cars like Van Disel.

This is how I interpret your name. Correct me if I am wrong, but perception is reality.

Good lUck and I hope you do succeed, but it will be unlikely.

OK, my driving record is a bit less severe, but I still have a question.

When I was 16 (about 3 years ago now), I was convicted of reckless driving (no, it was not wet, and no, I caused no damage to persons or property). I recently received a speeding ticket for 84 in a 75 (9 over). Would these tickets affect my ability to be employed? Isn't the reckless about to fall off my record? Does the fact that it was juvenile affect it in any way?

Umm...your reckless driving conviction is a VERY black eye on your record. In Texas as well as most other states it is a Class B misdemeanor which is a higher charge than any other traffic offense. In a few depts. that is a lifetime disqualification, however most are just 3,5 or 10 year disqualifications. Check with the dept. you wan't to apply for. The speeding ticket wouldn't strike me as being that big of a deal....9 over?? It sounds like you either ****ed of the cop or Krispie Kreme didn't give him his usual discount on a dozen glazed.

It probably had something to do it was in Sterling, Colorado and the fact that I was stopped for about 20 minutes and was passed by only one car at 1PM. I guess he needed to make quota some way.

LIFETIME disqualification? That seems pretty silly to me, that a cop having a bad day can cite someone for reckless driving (heard of lots of recklesses with no alcohol, damage or injury involved??) and ruin someones chances at their career.

Default Personal opinion....

I had a truck that atracted a lot of attention and got me in a lot of trouble with "the law".
    Trucks don't attract attention. The way the operator operates the truck is what draws attention. Good Luck.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Originally posted by abstraxion
    LIFETIME disqualification? That seems pretty silly to me, that a cop having a bad day can cite someone for reckless driving (heard of lots of recklesses with no alcohol, damage or injury involved??) and ruin someones chances at their career.
    What was the reason for the reckless driving? Usually you have to do something pretty bad to actually get convicted of reckless driving. One of my co-workers got stopped for going 43 in a school zone which is 20mph. The normal speed limit on that street was 40 and he didn't think that it was in effect because the school zone lights weren't flashing. Anyways, in the State of Texas if you get caught doing double the posted speed limit, it is considered reckless driving. So when he went to court the judge bumped it down from reckless driving to speeding, which saved him from a possible punishment of up to 180 days in jail and a $2000 fine. So again, it depends on what you did that was "reckless".

I was at a three-way (T shaped) intersection in which I was travelling along the road that had the right of way with no stop sign. I had my turn signal on to turn left at the intersection, and a car started to pull out as I started turning, threatening to hit me. I swerved around it, screeching my tires. A cop sitting at the intersection waved me to the side. That's it.

I have 24 guilty traffic offenses, not all with points, some stupid stuff like improper equipment, etc. I only have a few speeding violations.
    While I would like to believe you - (check out your name) - I bet you still like to go fast.

Few things are insurmountable. Don't give up on searching for a job but be realistic. Check and see what can be done, via the DMV and/or an attorney to help clear your record. Be SINCERE in explaining that you made errors. You WILL get a job as a firefighter somewhere if you are in it for the long haul but...24 violations is a hell of a lot.

Do yourself a favor - lose the fancy car or truck and buy a nice family car. Learn to relax behind the wheel. Start today preparing for the future. It's never too late nor too bad.

Go Slow.

Usually you have to do something pretty bad to actually get convicted of reckless driving.
    The key word is usually.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

Ok, maybe you guys didnt understand what I said...I havent had any points within 4.5 amost five years. And in the 24 violations, only 3 were speeding. None in my mustang. Also I dont race on the streets, I'm in paramedic school and I think that that is stupid. There are several local tracks here. I have not had any points in my mustang.... thanks for assuming. And to let you know it was a lowered truck, with custom paint, and rims on it. It had a stock exhaust. Looking back it was so stupid, and I wish I would have never done that stuff to it.

Originally posted by FastStangXXX
    Ok, maybe you guys didnt understand what I said...I havent had any points within 4.5 amost five years. And in the 24 violations, only 3 were speeding. None in my mustang. Also I dont race on the streets, I'm in paramedic school and I think that that is stupid. There are several local tracks here. I have not had any points in my mustang.... thanks for assuming. And to let you know it was a lowered truck, with custom paint, and rims on it. It had a stock exhaust. Looking back it was so stupid, and I wish I would have never done that stuff to it.

It doesn't matter about points or how long ago it was....citations will not drop off your record, period. The fire dept. will do an extensive background investigation. If you got a ticket for riding your bicycle on the sidewalk when you were 11 years old...they will see it. In my case I got a curfew ticket when I was 14 years old...It wasn't even supposed to go on my record because the judge threw it out because of the circumstances. However, during my background check with a dept. they found it and questioned me about it.

The point is, you have 24 violations. You have a major uphill battle ahead of you...I wish you success in your endeavor, but it will be unlikely.

And in the 24 violations, only 3 were speeding. None in my mustang. Also I dont race on the streets, I'm in paramedic school and I think that that is stupid. There are several local tracks here. I have not had any points in my mustang.... thanks for assuming.
    Hey:

24 violations of traffic laws and one could reasonably expect that maybe one was speeding. However in your case it was not.

As to whether violations remain on your record there will be much debate. I know of dozens of departments that conduct extensive background checks and failt to pull up anything that was expunged by the order of a judge. That is why I said to you that if you have sincerely changed your traffic ways you can seek to have the most serious removed.

However, like the previous person, if I were reviewing your record the number of violations would likely be prohibitive unless you were an extraordinary candidate.

Again - My very best wishes.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

If I were you the first thing I would do is go to the local D.M.V. and have them run a drivers history for you. This way you can see what is currrently on you record. In the state I live in if it was not a moving violation it will not be there. Also if tickets were written on a city or county ticket they might not even show up in the state data base. This happens with some ordiance tickets. You might want to have your criminal history run depending on the type of ticket it could show up there. example public drunk, simple possession, disorderly conduct. Now the next thing after having this is to find out how for back a company exployers your driving record, some go 3 some 5 some longer this is a company by company discission.
    I am sorry your past is coming back to haunt you but every action has a consequence. You are now having to pay for those actions and they will follow you for the rest of your life.

Good luck
    Last edited by rumedic1; 07-17-2005 at 11:40 AM.

Forum Member

Thanks, You are giving me a little more hope. I feel that i am very good cadidate for this position on this dept. I am in medic school and this dept doesnt even require you to be a medic yet. I'm very fit. I'm 6'5", 265 pounds and in shape. Not fat.... So I hope they understand...

Forum Member

Listen.. I wouldn't lose all hope. Some people might be trying to discourage you from applying. I know for a fact that the FD can not pull up any records which have either been expunged from your record or deferred prosecution. I guess Texas is backasswards, but I've never heard of someone having something on their record since they were 14, unless it is some major felony. Most events which occur before you turn 18 are erased (or sealed). These events happened when they would be considered minors and would not affect them after they turn 18. Good Luck. I'd definately speak to a lawyer and see what could be done.

Thread Information