Thread: Announcements

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Announcements

The article posted on Firehouse.com today says awards will start shortly and will be done by the end of October. I guess the September date is gone.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I noticed that

I'm glad to see they are passing some information along. October is still better than March. I hope they can really do it.

Forum Member

Hmm,good thing I checked this forum, I didn't think they started till the end of July.

Forum Member

Smack dab in the middle of Central Illinois

Unless they begin the announcements this Friday, it could very well end up being the end of July.

MembersZone Subscriber

I heard yesterday that the announcements start Friday. From what I understand, about 1100 will be realeased, with most of them being trucks.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    ---------------------------------------------------
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

MembersZone Subscriber

The last word I recieved was that close to 1400 or more would be in the first round. Still no positive word that OMB has signed that NOFA so keep your fingers crossed for this Friday.

Forum Member

I'd bet since no one is posting about getting a "phone call" today... there is no award on Friday..

MembersZone Subscriber

We've been waiting over 4 years to win an AFG. I figure whats a few more weeks.

Forum Member

I bet your right. No calls yet No grants this week

MembersZone Subscriber

It is not happening this week and may be delayed even more. Secretary Chertoff's "announcement" yesterday of what was to be a major re-organization of DHS had OMB scared to move, until they knew what he was trying to do.Unless they can "move quickly" ( is that even possible in the US govenrment?) we won't see the awards this week.

Also, USFA starts reviewing SAFER next week and will be tied up with that so, even that could delay the announcements further. It is my understanding that they are continuing to add departments to the list of the frist round and that they are up to over 2000 departments. Apparently another batch of 1199A and questions was released this week so it is very possible that any department that currently has questons and 1199As answered and returned will be in the first round. Patience everyone!

MembersZone Subscriber

Just spoke to a friend of mine in another Department and he told me he got his 10 questions this week, so KTB, AGAIN, you're right on the mark with your statement regarding questions being released this week. From my past experience working with Federal Government programs, I go back to a comment that a long time Fed Employee told me when I started working there: "The wheels of government grind slowly"

Nothing could be more true in our case here.
    Being a hero isn't about being tough. It's about making tough choices. It's about sacrifice.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Number of awards

Does anyone have any idea how many awards they think they will be giving out this year? I know they try to project that in the beginning. I thought somewhere I saw about 5000. If that's true, they will be almost half of that in the first round?

MembersZone Subscriber

It is usually more like 8500-9000 depending upon the amounts of each award and when they actually run out of money. Rumor has it now that there willbe close to 2000 in the very first round.

MembersZone Subscriber

Chief250 I am also reminded of another common phrase; " Good things come to those that wait"

KB

MembersZone Subscriber

KB...Amen to that.

I don't remember being this "stressed" (if that's the word) in previous years awaiting the awards....perhaps because we were awarded in Round 3 last year, which came in mid June. We received our questions in May, so I thought we'd be placing an order by now. We know it's coming, we just don't know when. Sort of like waiting until the 25th of Decmember and when it gets here, nothing, and someone peeks their head in the door and says we'll let you have Christmas after we cut through all of this pretty red ribbon!

Oh well, until then we'll patiently wait knowing the Eagle is in the air ready to touch down. (we just don't know when!)
    Being a hero isn't about being tough. It's about making tough choices. It's about sacrifice.

Forum Member

"Patience is a virtue"

I am also reminded of a phrase.... I NEED A DRINK!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

All ya'll talking about being funding in the third round in previous years...ha! My home dept. hasn't been funded or received questions before Dec/January (and usually not until Feb every yr.) in our previous years awards. We did receive our questions for the Tanker the very first week, so we were ecstatic! But are still very patient, and happy not to have to wait until February! (After all, we just got our 2004 grant in Feb. 2005!!! )

That being that...I predict a few more weeks of delays, due to the SAFER peer panel. Hmmm, perhaps we can shoot for an Aug. announcement? That would be about par for the government, about 2 months behind.

MembersZone Subscriber

Dixie...I think we've been spoiled in previous years....ya think?

And you know how spoiled brats can be!

MembersZone Subscriber

Chief, LOL...I definately do...on any given day/week work with plenty of 'em (uh, can I claim the 5th, if any are reading? LOL Sorry, guys! )

Just wanted to present the side that there are quite a few departments out there that are quite used to getting notification in the Dec/Jan/Feb rounds and so, the 1400-2000 numbers they are throwing out there for a possible first round in July is unbelievable for some people. (as was June, apparently!)

Pretty quiet in here, I guess because it is Friday and everyone's off having fun on a Friday, or packing for peer panel. Anyone from the grants/funding side gonna be in Baltimore in 2 weeks? I'll be flying up for the day on Thursday...

Forum Member

If this actually happens for us, it never has before, my A/C and I were talking about volunteering for peer review work next year. What are the requirements and how do you go about it ?

Forum Member

Default Peer Panelists

If you want the chance to be a panelist, contact one of the following fire service organizations to "volunteer". They are the one's that recommend panelists.

IAFC International Association of Firefighters
    IAFF International Association of Fire Chiefs
    NVFC National Volunteer Fire Council
    NFPA National Fire Protection Association
    NASFM National Association of State Fire Marshals
    IAAI International Association of Arson Investigators
    ISFSI International Association of Fire Service Instructors
    NAFTD North American Fire Training Directors
    CFSI Congressional Fire Service Institute

7Peaks

MembersZone Subscriber

Where are the apps reviewed? For some reason I thought they were reviewed at the National Fire Academy in Emmittsburg MD. I had thought about doing the peer review as well, especially since I'm not to terrible far away.

Dixie...I had planned on being in Baltimore for the Expo but I've been out two weeks with herniated disk so I won't be making the trip as I thought. Have fun up there and be safe!

MembersZone Subscriber

7Peaks,
    There was also an email address given at the workshops the DHS guys (and gals) gave that you could contact and forward info if you were interested in serving on a peer panel and weren't a member. However, I did that, but never heard anything. My 'sources' said that they had plenty of people for AFG, so I guess that's why.

WOnder if they received enough for SAFER? I always thought it would be fun to be able to read...after all, is what I do. Read people's, offer opinions, write, etc. I did speak to several people and ask if that made me ineligible to participate, and they said not if there was a need for panelist. So, who knows. But, somehow I doubt it. First of all, they will pull from the organizations first, I believe.

I am sorry to hear you won't be able to attend due to injury, Chief, hope you're feeling better soon! I was supposed to go with several FF's from NC but they backed out on me. SO, am flying solo (both literally and figuratively). But, it's a very quick 14 hour trip, although, am flying into DC, so will do a little site seeing on the way in...

Thread Information