Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Google Earth

Default Google Earth

Anyone tried Google Earth yet?

It is an amazing program and it is free!!! Basically it's an interative globe you can zoom into really well in some parts. Years ago this technology would have cost thousands.

But, as I use it and can zoom into the trucks in my fire house I wonder about the uses that this program could be used for both good and bad. It has already helped with my job by letting me gain an overall perspective of the areas in which development in my County is taking place. But I think in the wrong hands this information is a little too good.

Just my 2 pennies.

~Jeff
    Last edited by FFTide; 07-13-2005 at 04:09 PM.
    Piscataway Fire Dist #2
    Possumtown V.F.C.

yeah I've been playing with it. It's basicly the keyhole software w/ some google-ware added on. Good stuff for free. Last time I checked it was in limited Beta.

As far as it's possible insidious uses, you can download satellite images from many different places.
    We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering.

Does anyone know how often they update the photos? I looked at our firehouse, and it appears that it is about at least a year old...Some stuff has been moved around since last summer that is in the same place in the pic.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

They dont really update the photos very often. Pictures that have military bases seem to be pretty old (i would assume google would do this for security reasons)
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

MembersZone Subscriber

Some of the pictures are great. Some of the photos suck. Look at the photos of James Madison U. You can't even tell what you are looking at.

Agreed.

Its newer than 2002. Based on local areas in my town and also look at Ground Zero. It's older than 2004 because a house my boss lives in hasn't even been built yet. I'm guessing 2002-2003. Plus i'm guessing it's from a compilation of photos taken over a period of time so some may be older/newer than others. Either way its pretty sweet!

It all depends on when your area was flown over for aerial photography last (yes that's flown at high altitude by planes that is not satelite imagery.) The state of NJ is done every 2 years top to bottom so that's why I can zoom into my front door practically (MA as well). The resolution looks like about 1-3 meter (3-10 feet) of resolution, so if something was less than 3 feet square it just blends in with it's surroundings. Other areas of the country haven't been done in a while and the resolution isn't as good.

~Jeff
    Last edited by FFTide; 07-14-2005 at 09:25 AM.
    Piscataway Fire Dist #2
    Possumtown V.F.C.

Forum Member

I haven't tried it yet but one of my friends really likes it.
    2005 Pontiac Wave 5 Hatch
    Pontiac... built for drivers

Pretty Cool, I would have to say, in my area anyway, that the photos are at least 4 years old.

here is my FH...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

Forum Member

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Some of the pictures are great. Some of the photos suck. Look at the photos of James Madison U. You can't even tell what you are looking at.
    Do you know anyone who goes there, or were you just using that as an example? My sister's about to go into her senior year there....

On the way to the station. Really. It's 12 kilometers away and there's traffic.

Calgary and area appears to be circa 2002, I would estimate late June specifically, as there are indications of things being in place for the G8 summit (our command bus, several large aircraft guarded by helicopter gunships parked on the airport tarmac, etc). As well, the difference in areas of the city which have been built since then is evident.
    --jay.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Berks2Montco84

Do you know anyone who goes there, or were you just using that as an example? My sister's about to go into her senior year there....
    My daughter (yes, I have twins) starts her freshman year there in 3 weeks.

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI

My daughter (yes, I have twins) starts her freshman year there in 3 weeks.
    You have to pay two college tuitions at the same time?

Ouch!

I have one more year to pay for my son at UMass Dartmouth.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Over here the government gives us a loan with very little (maybe even none) interest and we dont have to pay it back until we start earning over $30,000 and even then its peanuts.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo

Ouch!

Yeah. And yet people wonder why I am such an SOB sometimes. (Actually the good news is my brothers have convinced my son what a good idea it would be for him to take the Boston test once he gets his residence established. Brings a tear to my eye).

Forum Member

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo

Ouch!

That's what my parents are doing, my sister's for JMU and mine for Penn State....neither of which are all that cheap....at least mine's in state though, I can get my sister for that, lol....

MembersZone Subscriber

JMU is a bargain compared to other schools of that caliber. My daughter was also accepted at PSU. For what they wanted (out of state) they should have been giving her a three room suite with an ocean view.

PM me and give me any scoop you or your sister have on JMU. I'm mainly concerned about the housing safety and campus safety at night.

Thread Information