Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default garage floor epoxy

Has anybody used Rust Oleum garage floor epoxy that comes in a kit from Menards? How does it work/hold up? Any tricks to applying it? thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

I haven't used that product, but you have to be very careful about what you apply to the floor. Some of those epoxy paints can make that floor as slippery as ice when it is wet.

I have used UGL Dylock Latex Concrete Floor Paint, brush the first coat, roll the second. No problem, wear a mask when you brush it though, the dust/fumes are brutal.
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

i haven't seen anything a hot truck tire would not peel up after a little time. If there is i am all ears !
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber sdff1520's Avatar

I put the kit from menards on my garage floor. Two years old now and so far holding up perfectly. Sure makes cleanup in the garage a piece of cake, you can sweep, mop, rinse, whatever. I followed the application instruction on the kit, prep is a big key, you must clean the existing concrete, and etch it with some acid to get the epoxy to stick.

It does get slippery when wet

Rick

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    I haven't used that product, but you have to be very careful about what you apply to the floor. Some of those epoxy paints can make that floor as slippery as ice when it is wet.
    I'm sure any warranties or guarantees on the product were voided the second I did it, but I mixed some play sand in my paint prior to putting it down so that it makes it a little less slippery when wet. Takes away a little bit of the ease of sweeping (you need a coarser bristle now) but spills, etc are wiped up with no evidence they were ever there.

Knock on wood, the tires haven't begun to make a mark in over a year. I would agree that prep is key. I swept, shop-vacced, cleaned with the advertised floor cleaner at Lowe's and cleaned again with a diluted acid to give a good surface to adhere to. I think the stuff is better than the crap we payed thousands of dollars for at my station

Safety Point: I know it should seem obvious, but make sure you have good ventilation.

Frustration Point: Make sure it's not windy out where stuff is going to blow in from the outside and stick in your new floor

Thread Information