Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Operators license

In my state no more than a normal class E license is required to operate an emergency vehicle. How is it in other states?

Here in KY you can drive the trucks with no additional stuff on your license.

Some on our department have CDL's but I would say only about 5%. I would love to have one but state regulations make it hard to get one (like you must supply your own test vehicle) and the department won't help us get it.

We must have a class "D" (commercial/over 24,000 GVW) with an "E" (emergency) endorsment.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

In Ky you can get your class B lic. with a letter from your chief taking only the written test. You can get all endorsements except you A lic. without doing the driving test. I have done this for several of my members. Your clerks office will provide the forms.

Originally posted by Chief745
    In Ky you can get your class B lic. with a letter from your chief taking only the written test. You can get all endorsements except you A lic. without doing the driving test. I have done this for several of my members. Your clerks office will provide the forms.
    No kidding? That is something I will look in to. Do you know the cost?

Forum Member

The cost is the same as for anyone getting a cdl. The only differnce is you don't take the driving portion. You will have to supply your training records, list of department vehicles over 26,000 lbs and your chief will have to right a letter to verify you have been on the deopartment 2 years and are a trained driver. I had my guys get them before they did away with this program and wind up requiring firefighters to have cdl's. Also if something did happen a good lawer would have a field day in court with the exemption. Even though they are not required it is better to have them and if you drive you trucks for parades and other non-emergency functions those are not exempt.

Forum Member

Talking license

In Nevada all we need is an F endorsed (farm,. fire and military) with a class A or B license.

Forum Member

My department doesn't require a CDL for driving but you have to be trained and checked off by the officers before officially driving.Most of the guys that drive are CDL holders so I guess the license is a big help.
    You also have to be able to pump the truck on scene as there are few more useless things to do as drive a pumper that you can't flow water from once you get it there.
    Having said that,I learned of an exception to the rule this am.We had a wreck involving a SO and his kids,and the deputies on scene wanted the extrication gear EXPEDITED to the scene.
    Me and another guy were the only ones at my station,closest to the scene so we were told by an officer to get it going.
    We've both been through enough training to get into trouble so not wrecking out was a major consideration to me.
    Short version,I got us there,pulled up in a safe manner,and got the rig back to the station.
    Once I am fully qualified to drive,I hope that I continue to do as well.

In my dept. you must take the state fire schools EVO class and be checked out on the trucks by the chief engineer

Forum Member

Here in Ca the drive test is no different but the written is shorter and you only have to pass a medical questionnaire as opposed to a full doctor's physical for a comm. license.

Here the DMV allows companies to do their own drive tests if they follow the approved/audited program and so we have done that but lately our program has languished. At least in our case it is carried out very strictly.

Birken

MembersZone Subscriber keeperman's Avatar

TN requires only a regular DL at this time. Our insurance requires you to be 21 yrs old and be current on EVOC to drive emergency traffic. Our department start letting people do driver's training at 18 yrs ol, but they cannot drive to an alarm. After turning 21, one of our assistant chiefs takes the member out several times (depending on how good they are driving) and we make sure they can pump/draft/operate off hydrant, etc, before they are cleared to drive.
    Last edited by keeperman; 07-17-2005 at 12:09 PM.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Courage is not the absence of fear, but the conquest of it. Author Unknown.

Forum Member

Anyone that drives fire apparatus had better do some serious checking on this subject. It doesn't matter what your fire department requires, it matters what the state DOT says. I know of many DOT inspectors that say yes, going to the fire you are exempt... but returning from a call the driver better have a CDL. I have asked inspectors in many states and some even from the same state and have got different answers for each. Like a lot of things in the law, it is open to interruption. And if there is ever an accident a lawyer will twist the fact there has been no test given to meet the CDL requirements into a payday for himself. One word…. Be careful… be smart and get one even if you don’t need it. At the least, have something from your state D.M.V. stating you are exempt.

MembersZone Subscriber keeperman's Avatar

tomwnh,

After reading your post, I did some checking and found that TN does not require a CDL for emergency vehicles. I had never really thought about it, though. Thanks for opening my eyes to what could have been (and still could be) a potential nightmare!!
    Last edited by keeperman; 07-31-2005 at 12:29 PM.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Courage is not the absence of fear, but the conquest of it. Author Unknown.

Forum Member

Even if your state does not require, and you get a written opinion from your state D.M.V. confirming that, it would be a good idea to have written procedures for training and qualifying who can and cannot operate apparatus in your department. Unfortunately today we have to look at liability in everything we do. Even when you are in the right a lawyer can drain a department’s, or municipality’s bank account in a heart beat. Also check with your insurance company and see if they have any clauses in your policy that would let them off the hook if a non-CLD holder was driving one of your trucks.

Thread Information