Forum Member

Default Does your station supply fuel for its apparatus?

I've always been curious to know if everyone's station has an uunderground tank for gas or diesel to fuel up their apparatus, we do but rarely use it because the New Lisbon Developmental Center provides us with fuel for free since we are their primary fire service provider. But does everyone have these tanks? or do you/they have to go to the township building for fuel?

MembersZone Subscriber

Seems like anymore it is cheaper to contract with a service station chain than to install and buy your own fuel. Most of the service stations don't make much on fuel so I don't think you could save much by buying your own fuel. Especially with all the EPA regs involving underground tanks and thier upkeep a contract might be a better route to take.

Forum Member

Yup, our pump is at Station 2.

Andy

MembersZone Subscriber

We have the village diesel and unleaded pumps that are for all trucks, and chiefs vehicles along with all the diferent trucks and vehicles owned by our village (ie. DPW, traffic enforcement)
    MFD Truck 2
    The Workhorse Company

MembersZone Subscriber

We used to have fuel at HQ, now we go to the town yard. I guess we pay the TOB a certain fee at the beginning of the year for our estimate fuel usage, then settle whatever the difference is if we're +/-.
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

Forum Member

All city vehicles are fueled at the Department of Public Works maintenance yard.

The capacity of the tanks are:

Diesel Fuel: 10,000 gallons
    Unleaded Gasoline: 10,000 gallons.

Each city department with vehicles has an account. There is a chip key that must be inserted, the employee number punched in,and if authorized to use that type of fuel, the pump is activated.

The computer records the date, time, employee number and the total amount of fuel dispensed. The cost is then deducted from the appropriate agency's account balance.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 07-14-2005 at 11:28 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

All FD vehicles are fueled at Public Works building.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Bones42,

Do they charge your company by the gallon like today's regualr prices? Or do they do like someone else said and estimate how much your going to use.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Yep.......................

We use a County Wide Fuel System. There are about 25 Fuel sites around the County, and all County Vehicles have ID numbers (as well as VFD units) control is thru a wireless terminal at each fuel site and the central computer. Sounds complicated, but it's easy to operate, and any vehicle can get fuel at any fuel site. We've had this system for many years, and it's proved to be very reliable. Most sites are at facilities with Auxilary Generators (Fire and Police stations, etc) so a fuel supply is maintained even in a time of power failures thru the County. An ice storm some years back left parts of the county without power for almost a week, but service was maintained at the fuel sites, and no one ran out of fuel.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Red face

We fuel our apparatus at stations around town owned by a corporate company, but we contract with them to use their fuel. We keep track of it through a credit sysytem( no paying on site). The deal though is that anyone can use the pumps if they buy into the credit program... it's through Exxon or someone like that??!! The police use it to.

Forum Member

Each vehicle is issued a gas or diesel card for that vehicles number and has picture of the truck on the card. It is kept in a little card holder on the dash. We go to the city garage and fuel up by swipeing the gas card, then our ID card( got to use that as well to get in after dark)punch in a pin code, pick a pump and go!
    At the 2nd of each month we get a print out of each trucks fuel usage from DPW.

Same with the PD
    Last edited by stm4710; 07-14-2005 at 01:17 PM.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

My department goes to the nearest truck stop in our district.Depending on the station,it could be the one at Exit 11 or Exit 16 on I-24.
    Grazing on the local economy seems to be a bit expensive to this rookie but we don't have the headaches that come with maintaining a fuel supply and the requirements for tank construction.

Forum Member

EngCo29, each vehicle is given it's own coded key so the Town can track each vehicle's fuel useage and such and bill accordingly. Knock on wood, they have yet to actually bill for any of the fuel to date. We're a volunteer department and we own our 2 firehouses, but the Town owns the trucks...guess they figure they should pay for the fuel in them.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

For my EMS department, we use the county fuel pumps in Quincy. Each county vehicle has it's own card that you insert. You enter your employee number (which is usually the last 4 of your social), the mileage and then the pump you want to use. For the ambulances with generators, no mileage is needed. We can also do the same thing at County Road & Bridge, and the City of Chattahoochee yard.

For my volly department, we use the cheapest local gas station. We happen to be right by the Georgia line and there is a gas station just across it. We usually save $.15 a gallon there vs. buying it here in Florida.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    ---------------------------------------------------
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Forum Member

With the increasing problems of underground fuel tanks and pumps associated, we have done away with them, when problems occur.

To this end, the city fuel contractor has installed fueling deports throughout the city. Companies donít have to far to go for fuel. However, there are still 6 locations that still have fueling systems.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

We used to get fuel from the city garage but the trucks started running like crap and were in the garage being fixed all the time. So.... we now have a fuel credit card for a local gas station and they bill the city.

Forum Member

We get our diesel fuel at the public works garage, no charge. Town owns the rigs and has a annual line item for fuel.

We get our regular at the gas station via credit card 'owned' by the town that also gets charged back to the fuel line item. Seems our chief's rig and the small engine items in the town (saws, mowers, generators, etc) are the only thing gasoline powered so it was cheaper and easier to contract regular gas out to the local gas station.

There is no automated recording of how much and how often we get diesel. We keep it in a log book (Date, unit, gallons) but other than that the Public Works Superintendant trusts the two key system of one key to get in the yard and one key to remove the padlock from the handle of the fuel pump.

Guess it might be different (more of an abuse risk) if they had regular gas at the yard as well, but we only have like 1 guy with a diesel personal vehicle.

Forum Member

Normaly we get fuel from city public works, but we can also get it from any of the county fuel sites and each rig has a credit card as well (Shell I think). We used to have tanks at HQ, but we are in a flood zone and EPA said we either had to re-line them or replace them with above ground and both options were too expensive.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

we go to the local BP station that keeps a city charge card there for our use. We have to sign it the reciept and note the unit # as well then you are done. And yes it is open 24 hours.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

We contract with two fleet fueling companies for all diesel and gasoline.

The Public Work's directors truck has a large fuel tank with pump in the bed. If fuel is needed in an emergency(such as a looooong fire where the attack engine has been running for hours) he can come out and fuel us up for free.
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

Forum Member

We get ours from the DPW yard.

MembersZone Subscriber

County Roads Shop here with a computer chip key...

If we end up in neighboring counties and need fuel we will fuel at a gas station and use a dept credit card.
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Thread Information