Forum Member

Default New Jersey different from other states

I read some things from the State of New Jersey which i am in. It says that once your 16 and your a member of a Fire Department, your automatically a firefighter, just not an interior firefighter. Still, Firefighter means all kinds of things, but I didn't think New Jersey was one of the states to have this. Now i match everyone from my comapny,only difference, the 2 black stripes. Just thought I'd post this, I'm sick.

Forum Member

Sorry, but in NJ, you are not considered a firefighter (by the State) until you are FF1 certified. And you can't complete FF1 without being at least 18 yoa. Now, whether your company/department considers you one or not...
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Ok my bad, its only In Burlington County and Somerset Counties, once your 16, your considered a Firefighter because, you can do exterior operations and that's Firefighting. But in Burlington County you can take FFI at 16 and successfully pass it which I'm doing this September.

Forum Member

You are not alowed to engauge in any direct firefighting untill you have passed FF1 nor are you alowed into an IDLH atmosphere. You are only alowed to perform support activities directed by an afficer.

Forum Member

All I have to say is dont get cocky, it'll get your a** in trouble someday.

Stay safe

GO NAVY!!

Forum Member

Originally posted by Bones42
    Sorry, but in NJ, you are not considered a firefighter (by the State) until you are FF1 certified. And you can't complete FF1 without being at least 18 yoa. Now, whether your company/department considers you one or not...

that isnt true, in burlington county you can take the entire FF1 course including the live burns at the age of 16, i know this because me and the other juniors in my dept. are taking it this fall

Forum Member

Bonesy .........tell me this aint true ?>
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Originally posted by Weruj1
    Bonesy .........tell me this aint true ?>
    Well it's true,want proof?

Here's your proof

Forum Member

Originally posted by Slaytallica45

that isnt true, in burlington county you can take the entire FF1 course including the live burns at the age of 16, i know this because me and the other juniors in my dept. are taking it this fall
    Hey man,we start August 8th, cya there

Forum Member

Try this one

Another informative place

Guys, don't kid yourselves and read very deeply into what you are actually going to be allowed to do. The links above will bring you to NJ State Division of Fire Safety, you know, the guys in charge of Fire Service in the State of NJ. They are the law. They supercede any and all counties in NJ. You can train and learn all you want, but will not be a FF Level 1. NJ has nothing other lower than FF Level 1, there is no "Interior" or "Exterior" which some states do have. There is simply FF Level 1. The first requirement is: A. Be at least 18 years of age. It's not me, it's not your mom and/or dad, it's not your Chief's choice, it's the State's.

I'm also willing to bet that at some point soon, Burlington will no longer be taking 16 year olds inside a live fire environment. They are one of the last in the state that will do so, most of the others have already stopped.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Originally posted by EngCo29

Well it's true,want proof?

Here's your proof
    From that same webpage... here is the FFI course description.

FIREFIGHTER I
    The Firefighter I program is the beginning of the prospective firefighters training, and will provide the training, knowledge, and skills necessary to attain the MINIMUM basic requirements to perform safely as an entry level firefighter under direct supervision. This program is designed to meet the requirements of the NJ Division of Fire Safety for Firefighter I certification and follows NFPA 1001. A physical training session before each outdoor practical consisting of limbering, stretching, jumping jacks, push ups, and a brisk fast paced cardio walk is MANDATORY for each student attending this class, in accordance to NFPA 1500. Hazardous Materials training in Awareness & Operations are required for class completion but are NOT included in the Firefighter I program. Incident Management System Orientation (I-100), as required by NJ State Statute will be given on the first night of class. Station uniforms or dark pants and a collared shirt is mandatory and to be worn for each indoor classroom lecture.

However it appears Burlington will fill out it's FFI class with Juniors.

JUNIOR FIREFIGHTERS

Junior firefighters are accepted into the ESTC classes on a space available basis. Those organizations that wish to have a junior firefighter enrolled will:

1. Submit names on the junior application form

2. Submit NFPA 1001 (1992 Ed.), Chapter 3-2

3. Do not submit on the regular application form

4. Do not include any payment

If space is available after the close of the application period, your “Junior” member will then be offered the opportunity to apply for admission to the course. At that time payment must be sent in.

I was 26 when I completed Middlesex County's FFI course. And even though I was done I still had to sent the NJ DFS my certificate, copy of drivers licence, and some other stuff to get my DFS # from the state and be certified as a FF in NJ.

Just remember there is a difference between having firefighter training and actually being a firefighter in the eyes of the NJ DFS.
    Piscataway Fire Dist #2
    Possumtown V.F.C.

Forum Member

Default Why can't kids stay kids until its time to be an adult ??

I read the course description for the FF I Course as outlined by the B.C.F.A. and no where i saw does it say that in order to take Firefighter I you can be 16 years of age. Infact you CAN NOT take the Firefighter I course until you have reached the age of 18. I'm one county below where this post originated and know this to be fact. Sad part is these kids probably are going to take the class....How legal is it and how are they getting away with it ?

God for bid one of them gets hurt during the live burn or even raising ladders...Insurance won't pay once they find out that minors were involved in something that they shouldn't have been ..It's like this "...Well I have a car and and a license so I think I should have a blue-light because my fire house considers me a member....." BULL CRAP !

You're still considered minors {Children if you will} we have laws protecting you guys so go with it. There not there to punish you - I love the energy that these kids have about wanting to get involved in the fire service but my message for the little knuckle heads is this......Slow down your day will come

Forum Member

Exactly BD6413.

This is why a lot of Departments don't wont Jr's. I was a Junior 25 years ago. I know I was full of ambition but I waited my turn. One thing goes wrong and there will be no mentoring program.

Forum Member

Well it's legal, i have the application for it right Here's the one page

and here's the application

JUNIOR FIREFIGHTERS (16-18 YRS OLD)

COURSE REGISTRATION FORM
    Course Title: __________________________________________________ _____________
    Course I.D. #: ___________________________ Course Dates: ________________________
    Authorized by (Chief/Training Officer): __________________________________________________ ______________
    Daytime Phone#: ______________________ Sponsoring Organization: ___________________________________
    Organization address: __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ****************************************
    Name: __________________________________________________ ___ S.S. #:_______________________________
    Organization: __________________________________________________ ___ DOB: ________________________
    Student Address: __________________________________________________ _______________________________
    City: ___________________________________ State: __________ Zip: ______________________
    Daytime Phone #: ____________________________ Home Phone #: ___________________________
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ****************************************
    Name: __________________________________________________ ___ S.S. #:_______________________________
    Organization: __________________________________________________ ___ DOB: ________________________
    Student Address: __________________________________________________ ________________________________
    City: ___________________________________ State: __________ Zip: ______________________
    Daytime Phone #: ____________________________ Home Phone #: ___________________________
    Organization: __________________________________________________ ___ DOB: _________________________
    Student Address: __________________________________________________ ________________________________
    Daytime Phone #: ____________________________ Home Phone #: ____________________________

Total Students on this enrollment form: __________ Total Tuition: __________ Total # of Text: _________
    Total Payment: _______________ Circle Payment Type: Company Check P.O./Voucher Personal check
    *** All course prerequisites must be documented with enrollment form if taken other than at Burlington County ESTC
    ESTC Use Only
    Tuition _____ Text _____ Total _____ Chap 3.2 _____ HazMat _____ F.F. I _____

And I'm not posting on here for much longer,b/c the older guys on here always attack the kids with their 20+ years of experience and don't give'em much of a chance to talk before you pounce on them.

I bid a fond farewell to all the decent people on these message boards.

Firefighter I Cert:August 8th,2005-December 14th,2005
    Last edited by EngCo29; 07-16-2005 at 09:50 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a junior program here in Camden County, it is FF1 Lite. You do not get to live fire or anything that would violate juvenile work laws (power tools, etc) until you are 18. Your completion of the junior program here has no bearing on FF1, you must complete that whole course when you turn 18.

Forum Member

And I'm not posting on here for much longer,b/c the older guys on here always attack the kids with their 20+ years of experience and don't give'em much of a chance to talk before you pounce on them.

I bid a fond farewell to all the decent people on these message boards.
    Bye "Asstengineer292"

Don't get hurt at academy please.
    Piscataway Fire Dist #2
    Possumtown V.F.C.

Forum Member

My department reluctently took in 2 juniors this year and only because they were kids or firefighters in the dept. If some kid came off the street and wanted to be a junior we'd probably say come back when you're 18.
    Piscataway Fire Dist #2
    Possumtown V.F.C.

Forum Member

I've been to the academy before and been thorugh a few intro classes.

I have alot of training from the county training classes held throughout my county, and trust me, im not some random kid looking to get hurt at the academy you *******, i have common sense.

MembersZone Subscriber

You know what kid, with an attitude like that, you shouldnt be allowed to run a dishwasher in the firehouse, much less a hoseline.

Clear up the name calling and the foul language, stop acting like you are god because you got a FD t-shirt and maybe people won't treat you badly on here.

Frankly, you are ticking me off.
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

Forum Member

Hmm that's good, now you feel the way most of the juniors and explorers feel on here because 90% of the older people bash them like there's no tomorrow, I only have an attitude towards this guy because he thinks since he had to wait till he was 26 to get certfied he's better than everyone or so it seems , well times change so deal with it,but most of the juniors and explorers on the site i made just for us, think you guys need to grow up because you guys get ****ed off or continue to argue with in your words"little kids" so they can feel better about themselves, none the less,Tiller, nothing against you, but if im ****ing you off, don't read what I write, won't bother me one bit.

Forum Member

Uh oh guys. All the little ones on the Junior Whacker Site, led my Mr "Look, I'm a real fireghter now!" are mad at us. What ever shall we do. Oh dear. If I give you a Tyco "My First Bicyle Siren", will that make you feel better?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Hmm that's good, now you feel the way most of the juniors and explorers feel on here because 90% of the older people bash them like there's no tomorrow, I only have an attitude towards this guy because he thinks since he had to wait till he was 26 to get certfied he's better than everyone or so it seems , well times change so deal with it,but most of the juniors and explorers on the site i made just for us, think you guys need to grow up because you guys get ****ed off or continue to argue with in your words"little kids" so they can feel better about themselves, none the less,Tiller, nothing against you, but if im ****ing you off, don't read what I write, won't bother me one bit.
    Did I ever say I was better than you? I would bet you have more raw knowledge than I do around the trucks. I waited till 26 because I went to college and actually never persued firefighting till I was done with grad school and moved to a town with a volunteer dept. That said, I wasn't being condensending about saying be safe, there are many opportunities in fire academy to hurt yourself and others. It's real fire even thoguh it's "controlled" Once again I'll say it. Wait your turn, at least you get to start at 18 something I wish I could have done, but still 16-17 is not the time to be a firefighter you should be in school, worrying about girls, and having fun.

~Tide
    Piscataway Fire Dist #2
    Possumtown V.F.C.

Forum Member

Hey Brothers we need to take it easy on the little Fire Chief. He knows all, he's done all, and will not be told any diffrent.

EngCo29 you are no doubt the type of KID that is dangerous and causes problems. You think and I say THINK that because you have Fire Gear and some minimal training that you are Firefighter all mighty. Good luck to ya - there is no convincing you that you're wrong. I have 18 years in this business and at 34 I have much much more to learn. I was patient, trained, responded, kept my eyes open, and mouth shut and you know what ??? I get paid to go to the Firehouse every day - Doesn't make me any better than anybody else but I saw a career dream, held on, and made it a reality.

No one here is trying to pi** you off we're just people who've been through what you're saying and we already know the outcome.

Forum Member

Ok guys, yes Burlington County will take students under 18, but you still have to be 18 to be active, no exceptions! ONe of our members went through last year, but still couldn't do anything live until his birthday.

And if you haven't notice eng29 is from the same station as Assteng292
    and had all those cocky remarks. He was the one who wanted to go head to head with the "Capt"

Forum Member

Originally posted by BILL111
    And if you haven't notice eng29 is from the same station as Assteng292
    and had all those cocky remarks. He was the one who wanted to go head to head with the "Capt"
    It's the same person. He made a new name when he ****ed everyone off and made an *** of himself the last time. As it has become apparent, not much has changed.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Thread Information