Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Biodiesel and vegetable oil

Anyone try their diesels on a diet of biodiesel or vegetable oil yet?
    Does it seem to run anymore efficiently or what?I've suggested it a couple times and since we don't have a source in our district,the answer from higher-higher seems to be"What a smart rookie.Go fold a salvage cover now."
    I just want a few facts and field experiences the next time it comes up.

From what little I have seen about these alternate fuels, you can't just put them in a normal diesel engine and expect it to work. There are some modifications that need to be made first.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

We tried it several years ago, and it sucked. We lost power on the road, so I'm sure the truck was working harder to pump water.

There seemed to be a higher output of exhaust smoke as well. The apparatus bay smelled like we had been frying french fries all day. We went back to the regular stuff.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

I've seen stories about folks that drove a diesel VW down the South American continent on fryer grease and such.They never mentioned any mods before using it though I've heard that you'd want a heater to get things started until the recirculated fuel heats the tank up.
    Still,everything that I've heard said that you get higher lubricity from the fuel and better economy over regular dino juice.
    Thanks.

The trick is to have properly filtered oil. You should have to do NO modifications to the engine to run Biodiesel, but to run straight vegetable oil you have to have a warmer to heat the vegetable oil to over 100 degrees. A friend of mine is a GM diesel fanatic, I'm just a diesel fanatic period. He runs a mixture of veggie oil and diesel straight into his tank. I forget what percentage mixture he runs. He says that the hesitation is gone and it is actually running cleaner leaving less carbon buildup, and the injectors are cleaned out. One of these days I would love to get a Fuel Meister. Just add your ingredients, and let it run over night. Next morning you have biodiesel. Just a bit pricey though.

FuelMeister: http://www.realgoods.com/renew/shop/...700&ts=4000001

However, personally I would not run it in apparatus. I think it's fine in farm equipment an personal vehicles, but apparatus need to make maximum power. I have yet to hear dyno numbers yet as to whether veggie oil added or lost power.
    Last edited by HFRH28; 07-14-2005 at 05:36 PM.

Forum Member

There are two main types of biodiesel. One is what is known as B2. B2 is 98% diesel fuel and 2% bio matter, commonly made from soybeans.
    Chances are if you are in the midwest you may be burning B2 and not even know it. We burn B2 in our farm equipment and the local station has it in their diesel pumps.

The other kind of biodiesel is the "homemade" stuff made from salvaged grease from McDonalds. This is what smells like fish or frenchfries when it is used in a truck and requires the modifications talked about in an earlyer post.

I certainly would not burn the "homemade" biodiesel in any apparatus or any of my farm equipment! But I do use B2 and gasohol (90%gasoline and 10% ethanol made from corn)in everything I own and like it.
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

We run B20 biodiesel in the diesel labs at school. It's 20% transesterified animal oil and 80% #2D. Smells kinda like a deep frier, but you get used to it pretty easily. One of the draw-backs we've noted is an increased rate of breakdown in our fuel lines. There are special ones for use with bio, because the regular diesel lines tend to get mushy and fail. Weird.

In terms of fuel quality, bio fuels have a higher cetane, better lubrication, but slightly lower BTU content.

With the ever-lowering quality of fractionally distilled and cracked oil fuels, I think that biodiesels are the wave of the future. With time, the quality, availability, and price will get better, just be patient.

We don't run it in the apparatus... yet.

Thread Information