Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Anybody ever been to LSC in Duluth?

Just wondering if anybody could tell me anything about Lake Superior College in Duluth. My wife and I are considering moving up north so I could attend. They have a 2 year program; Firefighting Technoligy and Adminsistration. It all Looks very good, but as I am finding out it looks very hard to get a full-time job and I don't know how much this would help. I would love to have a Job in the West Central area of MN (Saint Cloud, Twin Cities etc.)

Any other ideas as far as schooling anyplace else, and/or is it worth it?

Thanks...

Forum Member

Yeah, I have been there. Graduated from there in 03. As For LSC, it is a nice facility and most, if not all of the staff are tied to emergency work somehow. Most are either retired or active Duluth Firefighters, others are with St. Louis County Rescue, so they are experienced at what they teach. Naturally, some of the teachers are better than others. As far as other schools, couldn't tell ya, I only attended LSC. Getting a job around MN is very competative. I have a couple of friends that got jobs in the MN/WI area so it's not impossible but its pretty damn close to impossible around here. Any and all schooling helps when it comes to getting a job, get the degree then go to Paramedic school if your serious about this. That will greatly increase (almost Guarantee) you a job, especially if you want to stay around here. I am relocating to FL in two weeks to work as a FF/PM after now getting my paramedic cert if that tells you anything. But then again I am very picky about where I apply.

Hope this helps
    GOOD LUCK!!!
    Last edited by FireFighterPM; 07-19-2005 at 04:24 PM.

I'm currently going to Hennepin Technical college, in eden prairie for my A.A.S. in Fire science Technology. all the teachers there are great, and the school is a great option if you want to stay in the twin cities. anoka tech also ofers a diploma in fire science. it is hard to get a job in minnesota alone, but if you try in wisconsin, south dakota, north dakota and iowa a lot of options open up

Forum Member

Any A.A.S. fire degree program is an excellent foundation for a future in the fire service. However, it will not guarantee you a job in the fire service by any means. I have found that you will not be promoted or hired ahead of anyone just because you have a degree. I graduated from LSC in 2000. My experience there was informative and certainly i use what i learned there everytime i roll out the door on a fire call. That coupled with some volunteer experince, and a paramedic card will put you well on your way. I worked in WI for a year and then got a job in Northern MN. I would not be working as a full time firefighter if i did not have my paramedic card. I agree, it is next to impossilbe to get hired in MN and WI without it. Many departments are not familiar with the A.A.S. fire degree and what training students actually get.
    The instructors are knowledgeable and experienced. If you are serious about a fire career, i would reccommend it.

MembersZone Subscriber fyrman1977's Avatar

I have to disagree with the last couple posts. I along with 3 of my friends have become employed as full-time firefighters in MN without a paramedic cert. It is not next to impossible, just hard....like anything else you really want. Take lots of test, make yourself better than the other guy, because it really does comes down to the interview, you just have to get there.
    P.S. I have had three offers and two full-time fire jobs in MN and I don't even have a degree. Not bragging just proving anyone can do it (I am no rocket scientist).
    Pete

Thread Information