Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I just watched a documentary type show on a NJ channel about Wildwood and it's history. It was actually kind of interesting. The last 15 minutes was about their current trends of replacing the old hotel/motels with condos. From the show, there are definitely two groups down there anymore, the hotel/motel owners and real estate developers. The motel owners are saying the real estate developers are driving everyone away and will eventually "kill" Wildwood. The reat estate developers are saying the hotel/motel owners just don't understand the current wishes of people. They don't want to stay in hotels, they want condo rentals.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Bones42
    I just watched a documentary type show on a NJ channel about Wildwood and it's history. It was actually kind of interesting. The last 15 minutes was about their current trends of replacing the old hotel/motels with condos. From the show, there are definitely two groups down there anymore, the hotel/motel owners and real estate developers. The motel owners are saying the real estate developers are driving everyone away and will eventually "kill" Wildwood. The reat estate developers are saying the hotel/motel owners just don't understand the current wishes of people. They don't want to stay in hotels, they want condo rentals.
    I saw this show too. It was very interesting. I never realized that Wildwood was such a music mecca.

I don't know a whole lot of people who can afford to buy a condo down there. (My wife almost bought a condo in Diamond Beach 20 years ago for the whopping price of less than $30,000. Can you imagine?). What they are doing is taking the profit away from the hotel/motel owners andp utting it int he pockets of developers.

Not for nothing, but the hotel/motel owners. for most part, have a hx. of treating the tourists like crap. Most of the hiotels down there are sub-standard when compared with other resort areas at comparable prices. No sympathy from me. I do think, however, that the only place that will survive realtively intact will be the Cerst. the rest of the place is headed the way of Asbury and Perth Amboy.

You will never catch me in Wildwood again (unless I am doing a fire down there).

I never realized that Wildwood was such a music mecca.
    Total agreement.

the rest of the place is headed the way of Asbury and Perth Amboy
    Interesting you mention Asbury. It's in the process of being "revitalized". How? Tearing everything down and building overpriced condos. Asbury will never be what it used to be. The "revitiliaztion" will never work as who would want a high-priced condo with the drug capital of the shore in your back yard.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Thumbs up Ready for Wildwood

Yeah i'm going down to Wildwood...Gonna be a good year hopefully. Another REPEAT from last year. I'm prob gonna go down after class on friday or even thursday depends on my schedule with school and work. The family is going down so i cant be too too wild but i plan on having a good time.

Default wildwood

My Dept stays in the crest of wildwood at Pier6600 for the past 30 years we have a nice hotel it's on the beach and it's not to crazy hotel prices are cheap compared to some of the others , a great place to eat is Juan Pablos real good food and at a decent price

I would like to see some hands on training demo's but with all the people down their i think that it would be to packed to even get near it. Half the time you cant even move in the tents
    Last edited by FIRE1426; 08-14-2005 at 08:47 PM.

There are 4 seminars offered this year at Wildwood. 2 on Wednesday and 2 on Thursday. From what I have been told, they are all classroom lectures and no hands on. Starting time is 8:30am each day.

Default meeting

Does anyone know if we have to stay for the meeting on friday and saturday the meeting on friday is 2 hrs and saturday is all day some years we had to stay other we signed in and left ?

There are 4 seminars offered this year at Wildwood. 2 on Wednesday and 2 on Thursday. From what I have been told, they are all classroom lectures and no hands on. Starting time is 8:30am each day.

Do you know what the classes are on?
    When opening up the roof remember plywood comes in 4' X 8' sheets.

www.94firedept.com

IACOJ proud member

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE1426
    Does anyone know if we have to stay for the meeting on friday and saturday the meeting on friday is 2 hrs and saturday is all day some years we had to stay other we signed in and left ?
    God, I hope you put more effort into it than this.

Juvenile Fire Setters seminar, NJ Fire Deployment Act, can't remeber the other 2.

Default meeting

We left because nobody in the state had to stay for the metting unless they wanted to ANOTHER WORDS IT WAS OPITIONAL

Forum Member

Thumbs down Wildwood Drunk Fest!!

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE1426
    We left because nobody in the state had to stay for the metting unless they wanted to ANOTHER WORDS IT WAS OPITIONAL

If i understand correctley either the Friday or Saturday Meeting was kind of a manditory thing. You had to present your card both signing in and out to receive credit for the meeting I believe companies receiving money for this had something to do with it. - I'm not a delagate so I really don't know but rumor around the station has it as such.

In General the convention is a BIG WASTE OF TIME Meetings where basically nothing gets accomplished, A parade with fewer and fewer companies participating each year, Expo and Equipment Muster still being held in out-door tents usually soaked with mud from over-night rains that are convention tradition. - Not to mention the tents are so crowded you can hardley move {Yet they built this multi-million dollor convention center how come we're still outside ??????

And let's get to the motels....1st. of all extremley over-priced - infact the whole city is over-priced. I'll spend in a course of a weekend in Wildwood what I'll spend in an entire week in Myrtle Beach, S.C. with Meals {excluding my beach front condo which I pre-pay every January} and I'm driving down there at these wonderful gas prices. The party atmosphere of the Wildwood Convention can be pretty crazy too. Ever go to the Firehouse Tavern the Thursday / Friday Night of convention ? well if you ever get the chance pass on it. Never a dull moment, crowds out the door and fights galore - Just not worth it.

Each year at least for the last few some drunk idiot either jumps from thier motel balcony into the pool and ends up parlized for life or dies in those moonlit-mightnight ocean swims because "The Water looks so calm" - some get tickets or actually arrested for drunk and diorderly acts and than there are others - the vast majority - who come to convention, have a good time {yeah get a little juiced if they're drinkers} and act responsible. I say this every year the convention is an over priced waste - it needs major over-haul.

The only classroom lecture that was brought up at the pre-meeting was one by the State Police on Highway Op's.... The word on if they are going to require people to re-sign in was brought up again, it depends on attendance at the end of the meeting Friday if they draw names on Saturday.
    Peace to our fallen brothers...

9/11/01 NYC WTC

7/4/02 Gloucester City, NJ

-=IACOJ=- The proof is in the crust

......Work hard, play hard, and always have fun along the way......

1 is Arson detection and K9's. The last of the 4 is Sizeups on Factories and Warehouses.

(Those are the 4 according to NJ DFS, so how correct that may be...)

Forum Member

Default Wild-wood

See ya at the beer garden! lol

Forum Member

Hey all we go down every year, we are not sure if our rep. wants us to bring our new truck down this year.I think we will like last year,who elses company is brining down their apparatus?

Forum Member

Thumbs up Very Interested in Training

I am very interested in any training that will be going on @ the convention this year. If anyone has any details (when, where, what, pre-reg required?) please e-mail me @ sta224ffemt@comcast.net . Thanks!!

224, Contatct the DFS or go online.The classes are usaly fire inspector or instructor classes. Maybe one day we can actualy have classes that will benifit all of firefighters that attend and are sober. Oh wait I guess we wouldn't need any. NJ firefighters need to take the oportunity to speak up and demand the classes and than attend. Wildwood should not just be a drink fest but a chance to learn.

MEck51

I agree, other states and organizations have training as part of there conventions.
    When opening up the roof remember plywood comes in 4' X 8' sheets.

www.94firedept.com

IACOJ proud member

Forum Member

I am unclear on what Wild wood is??? I hear talk from a few members here about going but no one has actually been too specific on how you go about doing it? ( Okay.... that doesn't sound right ) Well... I didn't know you have to have a room. Actually I thought from listening to some guys from a different dept. that it was an amusment park???? Then I found out it was more like a convention... with lots of drinking So I really want to go and be part of it, but I'm not sure where, when or how... But then again that's no suprise for me these days!
    Help me !
    Sassy would like to know what the deal is?!
    I want to be there!
    The best indicator of what kind of person you are is how you treat those who are of no benefit to you.

Wildwood is the host town for the NJ State Fireman's Convention. The "idea" of the convention is for the states county fire associations and their delegates to have a meeting to elect officers and conduct business. That normally accounts for about 4 hours of the Thursday-Saturday event.

Unfortunately, 99% of the people there think of it as "a convention... with lots of drinking" and make it the most embarrassing event for the NJ fire service there is.

If you go, you will see (most likely) the world's largest number of "whackers" wearing every FD T-Shirt slogan EVER made, the largest "whacker" light bar displays in creation, way too many males and females getting way too drunk, a large fire that every squirrel in the state will show up, try to help, chastise the wildwood FD, throw things at them, and mess with their crap, and if "tradition" continues, some jack@$$ will get drunk and die trying to drive on the beach, swim in the ocean, or fly from an upper floor balcony into a pool.

Yup, it's truly a weekend to be proud of.

Thread Information