Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    Wildwood is the host town for the NJ State Fireman's Convention. The "idea" of the convention is for the states county fire associations and their delegates to have a meeting to elect officers and conduct business. That normally accounts for about 4 hours of the Thursday-Saturday event.

Unfortunately, 99% of the people there think of it as "a convention... with lots of drinking" and make it the most embarrassing event for the NJ fire service there is.

If you go, you will see (most likely) the world's largest number of "whackers" wearing every FD T-Shirt slogan EVER made, the largest "whacker" light bar displays in creation, way too many males and females getting way too drunk, a large fire that every squirrel in the state will show up, try to help, chastise the wildwood FD, throw things at them, and mess with their crap, and if "tradition" continues, some jack@$$ will get drunk and die trying to drive on the beach, swim in the ocean, or fly from an upper floor balcony into a pool.

Yup, it's truly a weekend to be proud of.
    That's the best assessment of the event that I have ever seen.

Question: If you are a whacker, do you still think "they" are whackers?

MembersZone Subscriber DougVelting's Avatar

<shamefully raising my hand>
    Former whacker, realized it a few years ago, sorry for not waking up sooner
    Doug Velting Jr
    President Cassville Volunteer Fire Co
    dougvelting@fireexec.com
    www.cassvillefire.org
    Fire Exec .com

Doug, when the "Rolling River" was new...some "whackerism" was allowed.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

What's a whacker???
    The best indicator of what kind of person you are is how you treat those who are of no benefit to you.

In a nutshell, they worry more about light bars, sirens, scanners, and T-Shirt slogans than fire training. They talk as though they have been at ever major incident in the country and most have yet to even be on a line in 1 fire. They can recite all of FDNY's 10 codes but not tell you anything about their own engine and/or their own departments procedures. Lot's of times, they tend to be new, young, and male....but not always. They aren't bad people, just "whackers".
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Permanently Removed hoseheadmaps's Avatar

bones,

you forgot a whacker will most likely have at least 2-3 pagers on their side - one department just isn't enough.

didn't a drunk cop kill someone last year. I once heard that there is more damage over the one weekend there then during the entire 3 weeks of "senior week" in June.

we're you at the wet down in the early 90's at your place.......
    Last edited by hoseheadmaps; 09-09-2005 at 10:29 AM.

Not sure on the details of last year's.

I was one of the chairmen of the Party on the Beach. Twas quite a day. In the little parade, we had 223 vehicles registered. 3 tillers drove down our main street mostly sideways, like the Little Rascals. As I remember, Yardley PA did quite well with the judging.

And in that day, 3 complaints to police. 1 was for someone blocking a driveway, 1 was for a guy (actually 5) mooning a lady, 1 was public urination. It was refreshing to see such a large gathering controlled well and very little trouble.

we still have the bronze statue displayed in the front of the station.

i know our ladder took overall piece at wildwood last year - the first time in many years the top prize has left the state. i'm not sure if it will be back to defend top honors this year or not.

still not sure who started the water fight at your parade - got a little crazy
    Last edited by hoseheadmaps; 09-09-2005 at 03:09 PM.

still not sure who started the water fight at your parade
    might have been one of the chairmen...

there aren't many people left in our dept that were there - for those who were it still comes up as one of the best parades we've been to.

remember when someone thought a kid was lost in the surf and a human chain was formed to find the kid in the ocean, only to come to find they were safe on the beach.

Yup. Nothing like having a couple hundred "experts" coming to the rescue. We were just about finished with the tug of war. Remember the reddish/brownish pit? Few gallons of ocean water, couple large bags of purina dog chow, powdered hawiian punch mix, and some gravy for coloring. THAT left a mark on quite a few white uniform shirts.

ps - 125th anniversary is coming in a few years. Planning is already under way.

have to mark the calander-

stay safe

I agree with george, which strangely enough has been happening a lot lately. Anyway, bones your assesment of the convention is dead on. I have even read in an earlier post someone complain about the four hours that you are actualy supposed to be doing something, hello you get paid to be there if you are a delegate. Suck it up. In answer to an earlier question, yes an off duty PD member struck and killed a person. Last year or the year before a person tried to go swimming in one of the worst currents in NJ and sadly died. It is realy a sad state of affairs. I only go because I live less than 5 miles away and can get out before it gets too ugly.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MEck51
    I agree with george, which strangely enough has been happening a lot lately. Anyway, bones your assesment of the convention is dead on. I have even read in an earlier post someone complain about the four hours that you are actualy supposed to be doing something, hello you get paid to be there if you are a delegate. Suck it up. In answer to an earlier question, yes an off duty PD member struck and killed a person. Last year or the year before a person tried to go swimming in one of the worst currents in NJ and sadly died. It is realy a sad state of affairs. I only go because I live less than 5 miles away and can get out before it gets too ugly.
    Did the off-duty PD member also happen to be a volly?

Don't forget. Someone post one piece of meaningful business that was accomplished down there.

Don't forget. Someone post one piece of meaningful business that was accomplished down there.
    We've answered 6 calls including an MVA with entrapment since half our guys headed south!?!?!

Oh wait that was something meaningful that got accomplished up here where we are still sworn to protect our community!!!

Well, as far as I could tell the convention was calm. But then again I was under my car half the time (POS Merc. decided to throw a tie-rod end, cost me $200 to get it repair and it had to be cash) alot of talk in the meeting again about housing in Wildwood and the same replies. The item about benefits for firefighters on active duty with the military that are killed in action did pass, and after a heated talk the exec. committee was pressured into having a quick meeting about upping the money for lifemembers and delegates by $25 for this convention and afterwards they will review the cost of housing and transportation each year. Again the subject of a second fireman's home was brought up with no reply from the exec. end.
    Peace to our fallen brothers...

9/11/01 NYC WTC

7/4/02 Gloucester City, NJ

-=IACOJ=- The proof is in the crust

......Work hard, play hard, and always have fun along the way......

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Wildwood

Just returned from the State Convention. We arrived in Wildwood on Thursday afternoon. Went to the boardwalk late in the afternoon and paid 4 dollars to park in the lot behind Macks Pizza. We stayed late and returned to our rented house. The next morning we went to the same lot only finding that the price to park was now 10 dollars. We paid and headed to the tents and truck displays. When walking out of the lot were we parked there was a pile of signs made with prices up to $30 for parking. We walked passed one location charging 20 dollars and another charging 25 dollars. Pricey huh. Well we returned back to our rental and decided to go back to the boardwalk that evening. Again the price changed for parking. Saturday we went to Cape May. Walked the shops and paid 4 dollars per hour for parking at the Acme. We ate at a local pub and lunch cost us 75 dollars (6 people). Some of us could only eat half of our sandwiches due to the meat being real strong. On the way out of this pub I picked up another menu and found the pricing to be less. The girl in charge said that this was their regular menu. The menu we were given was for our weekend at the shore. We left there and went back to the rental. Dinner that evening was at a Buffet on Oak street. They charged 11 dollars per person for food that we found dried out and bad tasting. We left there and went to the parking lot by the Convention center where the cost for parking according to the sign was two dollars. When we returned to this same lot Sat night to attend the parade awards the fee changed to three dollars. The total out of pocket expenses came to $300 not including the rental. This by the way was an additional $300. I get nothing from the Relief Association because I choose not to attend the meeting. This is a very expensive weekend for us on a fixed income.

I hope something changes so that we can continue to enjoy this Convention.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NJTF1Bowman
    Well, as far as I could tell the convention was calm. But then again I was under my car half the time (POS Merc. decided to throw a tie-rod end, cost me $200 to get it repair and it had to be cash) alot of talk in the meeting again about housing in Wildwood and the same replies. The item about benefits for firefighters on active duty with the military that are killed in action did pass, and after a heated talk the exec. committee was pressured into having a quick meeting about upping the money for lifemembers and delegates by $25 for this convention and afterwards they will review the cost of housing and transportation each year. Again the subject of a second fireman's home was brought up with no reply from the exec. end.
    So if I understand you correctly, most of the business at the convention was convention-related. Soif they didn't have a convention to complain about, there would be almost no business to discuss and no need for a convention.

How'd I do?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by njt4276
    Just returned from the State Convention. We arrived in Wildwood on Thursday afternoon. Went to the boardwalk late in the afternoon and paid 4 dollars to park in the lot behind Macks Pizza. We stayed late and returned to our rented house. The next morning we went to the same lot only finding that the price to park was now 10 dollars. We paid and headed to the tents and truck displays. When walking out of the lot were we parked there was a pile of signs made with prices up to $30 for parking. We walked passed one location charging 20 dollars and another charging 25 dollars. Pricey huh. Well we returned back to our rental and decided to go back to the boardwalk that evening. Again the price changed for parking. Saturday we went to Cape May. Walked the shops and paid 4 dollars per hour for parking at the Acme. We ate at a local pub and lunch cost us 75 dollars (6 people). Some of us could only eat half of our sandwiches due to the meat being real strong. On the way out of this pub I picked up another menu and found the pricing to be less. The girl in charge said that this was their regular menu. The menu we were given was for our weekend at the shore. We left there and went back to the rental. Dinner that evening was at a Buffet on Oak street. They charged 11 dollars per person for food that we found dried out and bad tasting. We left there and went to the parking lot by the Convention center where the cost for parking according to the sign was two dollars. When we returned to this same lot Sat night to attend the parade awards the fee changed to three dollars. The total out of pocket expenses came to $300 not including the rental. This by the way was an additional $300. I get nothing from the Relief Association because I choose not to attend the meeting. This is a very expensive weekend for us on a fixed income.

I hope something changes so that we can continue to enjoy this Convention.
    What are you going to change? Pass a law that says you have to cook good food? Pass a law that says you can't raise prices when a special event comes to town? Pass a law that says you can only charge $1 to park on private property?

I can fix these problems easily. Don't go. All FF boycott next year's convention. The secret is that you don't need to have a convention anyway. Have a one day meeting somwhere, get the mandatory business done and go home. Screw Wildwood. It is a city in decline and doesn't know it yet.

MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

I've attended the firemens convention for the past 6 years 3 of them as a regular firefighter, I'm only 20yrs old and I've had enough already...Its expensive and theres nothing but problems because everyone gets there beer muscles and thinks they are big and bad....sure it happens all the time...but seems to happen more so amongst the firefighters. The tents this year were OK...Found some good little toys for my gear at decent prices...most of the t-shirts they were selling were "wackerish" On a good note I was mighty impressed with what the Fire Association has done with the Make a wish foundation and what they did for the kid who was the grand marshal of the parade. giving him that turnout gear was a really nice gesture but yea...the convention this year on a scale of 1-10....I give it about a 3 or 4....As for attending next year...I dont think so.....The hotel we've been staying in is being demolished to make room for yet MORE condo's. The convention needs a major overhaul and until things change for the better...I dont think I will be attending anymore...On the bright side we did get to check out some tower ladders and get information for a new truck...That was about the only thing we got accomplished this weekend of importance..
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Thread Information