Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

it was a waste of time.

I went down on saturday, left around noon, figured everything would still be on show until 5pm.

got there around 2pm, all the demo trucks were gone, the tents were all closed, the place was deserted.

I won't pay to stay over night, it's a waste of money because all that goes on at night is everyone gets totally wasted.

two hours down, two hours back, nothing to eat between 2pm and 4:30pm (everything was closed).

unless them move it to a more centralized location, as well as provide other stuff to do on the weekend time (and not close at 5pm), I probably will never go down to wildwood again.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    So if I understand you correctly, most of the business at the convention was convention-related. Soif they didn't have a convention to complain about, there would be almost no business to discuss and no need for a convention.

How'd I do?
    You are correct, most of what was brought up was about the convention at Wildwood and the problems with housing. The last 30 minutes was interesting because someone did their homework and had the exec committee over a barrel on a motion on the floor. We did vote "NO" on having the convention in Wildwood for 2010 or more like not to decide on Wildwood in 2010
    Peace to our fallen brothers...

9/11/01 NYC WTC

7/4/02 Gloucester City, NJ

-=IACOJ=- The proof is in the crust

......Work hard, play hard, and always have fun along the way......

MembersZone Subscriber

The bottom line is that this organization does nothing to advance or promote the fire service in NJ. There are so many issues facing the fire service in NJ, yet these guys simply go out to perpetuate their party time. It's a waste of time, money and resources to continue to have this convention and pretend that this organization is doing some good.

Permanently Removed hoseheadmaps's Avatar

can a list of the winners be found anywhere??? highest BAC. , most vomit in one try. first to get so drunk they **** themselves??

Actually, I had a pretty good time. Saw quite a few vendors that I wanted to who had the products on site to see. Found a couple new restaraunts that are off the beaten path. Saw a bunch of friends from around the state that I don't see enough of. Saw more State Forest Service vehicles than I knew existed. Meetingwise, sorry to say but the leaders of this organization again embarrassed themselves in showing how incompetent they are and the epitomy of the "good ole boys club".

It will be interesting to see how many of the guys that spoke up about the location will come back with ANY suggestions of new locations. It's been talked about for years and there has yet to be a valid suggestion.

I will admit that I was surprised that the resolution to increase the max age failed.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

I went down Weds. and returned Sunday. Theres 20 of us that stay at the same motel and we didn't have any problems. We compiled alot of information for spec'ing out our new truck and had some gear questions answered for spending our grant money.
    When opening up the roof remember plywood comes in 4' X 8' sheets.

www.94firedept.com

IACOJ proud member

Get ready for price gouging to set in for next year. This was our last year at our current motel - getting knocked down sometime in the next 2 weeks. We lost our previous motel 4 years ago to the same thing. We tried to get into a new place for next year and were told that we must rent the entire motel, for a price of $165 a night per room for street side, $185 a night for ocean side. As the motel owner said, "It's all about the money, if you don't like it, then don't come down." The same place only charges between $50 and $65 a night for Irish weekend.

This the last year for the motel I stayed at also......Big sign out front for the condos that will be going up in it's place....going for $649.900 per unit....there is no way you can tell me that the prices during the convention don't go up (them dumb firemen will pay anything to stay) and don't look for relief when the new motels get built (brand new motel/hotel are going to charge out the @$$ for rooms) which won't be available for another 2 to 3 years down the road. I hope the "NO" vote for the 2010 convention gets some attention in Wildwood, The Wildwood Business Assco. better wake up and smell the smoke cause this is going to be a four banger by that time if nothing is done to control the motel/hotel owners jacking the rates up.
    Peace to our fallen brothers...

9/11/01 NYC WTC

7/4/02 Gloucester City, NJ

-=IACOJ=- The proof is in the crust

......Work hard, play hard, and always have fun along the way......

I checked out a few of these new $500k+ condos that were under constuction when I was down there. The majority of them are no bigger then the average motel room. Sorry, if I'm going to invest that much money into a property, it's not going to be in Wildwood.

Forum Member

Well, NJTF1 Bowman,

You really hit the nail on the head with this one. That's all the convention seems to be anymore, nothing but "whackers" and the every popular public description of the term "Volunteer Firefighter" - Overweight, Smoking, Beer Swilling, Every FD T-shirt wearing person. Thanks for keeping the volunteer image alive fellas!

I stopped going when the department made it clear that "your" family isn't welcome down here 'cause we are gonna get drunk, raise some h&ll (sorry closest thing to an e I could find), and drive apparatus around with the lights on, heaven forbid you should stop by and say HI and maybe eat some food from the hospitality room!! Besides the Sales tax, Hotel Tax, Convention Tax, and any other tax we can slap on has gotten way out of control.

Although I do like the Idea of making the convention productive by having some training going on. I mean you've got all these vendors displaying there products lets have some H.O.T. training going on and make a sale!!! You want me to buy your extrication gear because you have them sticking out of a car in serveral spots, SCBA, Turnout gear beacuse it looks pretty on the manakin???

Oh well, enough for now - you call all rip me a new one now.
    "The saw won't start, heh, grab the axe and start chopping"

Quote Originally Posted by Knighthawk
    Oh well, enough for now - you call all rip me a new one now.
    Rip you a new one??? FOR WHAT?? Being right?

I bet if you offered HOT and Classroom training along with the meeting part of the convention that my dept would be a 180 degree swing. Those of us who stay home and maintain a working dept would want to go and the 'others' would not be interested and would stay home.

Sad isn't it??

Forum Member

I'm not sure what I should make of Wildwood. I drove down there by my self, and the convention center was closed. The tents were already starting to pack up, and there was supposed to be a parade, but I missed it trying to see what the vendors brought. I wasn't impressed though. Most of what I saw, I'd already seen in catalogs ( and cheaper too). To top it off, I couldn't find where I parked my car ( which led to it's own adventure) and I couldn't eat until after 4:30 in Cape May to get seafood. I felt like I was driving all over for nothing. But hey... Dr. Parasite got a $41 Lobster tail out of it... see how grateful I was to have a FF brother come save me!
    I think it would be more productive if most of the convention took place later in the week and into the weekend, so not as much time could be whittled away on booze.. ofcourse, if I want to pretend that I'm in a B-movie remake of Animal House ( Firefighter style) I could always join the part a little earlier next year!
    The best indicator of what kind of person you are is how you treat those who are of no benefit to you.

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

I agree that the Association does little to nothing for firefighter causes. My personal feeling is that the relief money should be used while we are alive for safety and operations. Think about the average town merely investing in a 10K term life insurance policy, the cost would be far less than what is in the Relief accounts now. As far as the rest of the weekend, I had always thought that the Association ran that too until a few years ago. The Wildwood FD's put the rest of the weekend on (parade, tents, etc..) , I would suppose any training opportunities could be coordinated through them if they were interested. My company always has a pretty good time, we pay our own way except for delegates and get together for a barbeque during the parade. For quite a few of our members the whole family comes down. The room rates are getting crazy, but where along the Jersey shore isn't?

Ok, for Sassy and DrP, who appear to not know when the convention is, the tents are open from around 8am FRIDAY until around 12:00pm SATURDAY. The meetings are 1pm on FRIDAY and 10am SATURDAY. The parade starts at 1pm on SATURDAY. Most of the trucks on display are gone before the parade starts as some of them are in the parade. Coming down late morning on Saturday you will see very little of anything convention related as that is when it ends. Saturday night, at the convention hall, there is a short ceremony giving out awards from the parade.

as for eating...anyone that would pay $41 for a lobster tail (I hope it was at least good )
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Thanks Bones... I'll keep that in mind for next year, after all I wasn't even sure what Wildwood was two weeks ago...As for the lobster tail.. I bought that for DrP. And I finished it for him(he wasn't impressed) and yes it was good. I wanted Seafood ( the ocean smell did it) and we couldn't find anything, so we ended up carpooling over to the Lobster House in Cape May. Not bad, but more than it was worth. A beer and steak would've been better and cheaper. Again... all things to keep in mind next year ( if I go).
    The best indicator of what kind of person you are is how you treat those who are of no benefit to you.

mmmmmm, Lobster House. Was guessing that was where you went. I'd like to say their prices change at other times of the year, but I can't. Been there off season and on and they seem to be in the same area. Cape May is a great little area to visit.

PS - Hours of operation for convention will be the same in 2006 and it will be farewell to our hotel also.

Forum Member

What do you mean ... a fare well to our hotel"... ???? I thought all the condo's they're building were there for rental as well. Not only that but I'm sure they can't tear down every hotel in the town? Is there something special about that one Hotel???? Yes, as you can see I am still very confused at the whole Wildwood thing... ironically everyone at the firehouse has been asking me if I've gotten blonder lately??!

Forum Member

I think the No Vote for 2010 might open the eyes of the Five Mile Beach Association, Business Associations, Ect....But what about 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009 ??? Four More Years of outrageous prices, limited housing / motels and a parade that is an absolute disgrace.

My company had about 20 - 25 people attend some with famlies and some guys solo. {No Competition -- Delagates attended the meetings} and by 11:00 on Saturday Night most were back home. {70 Miles away} -- I remember in years past when I attended We would stay the full three days and three nights, Clean up at the parade {5 Years in row Over-All State Championship} Let our hair down and have a party Saturday Night and head home right at 11am check out on Sunday.

Now......The wax is hardened, Armor-All is packed away, and the rags are retired. {Fire House is under major construction} There is no reason to attend this mess any longer........As I previously Posted earlier in this segment I traveled to Myrtle Beach at the end of August. Minus Our Portion of the beach front rental {Split 3 Ways}, and Fuel for the trip down and Back My Wife and I spent less in a week than we would have in three days at Wildwood and had alot more fun.......Gotta love the beach, golf, and a little shopping. We came close to Wildwood expenses but in the end not as much as I bugeted for.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Halligan84
    I agree that the Association does little to nothing for firefighter causes. My personal feeling is that the relief money should be used while we are alive for safety and operations. Think about the average town merely investing in a 10K term life insurance policy, the cost would be far less than what is in the Relief accounts now. As far as the rest of the weekend, I had always thought that the Association ran that too until a few years ago. The Wildwood FD's put the rest of the weekend on (parade, tents, etc..) , I would suppose any training opportunities could be coordinated through them if they were interested. My company always has a pretty good time, we pay our own way except for delegates and get together for a barbeque during the parade. For quite a few of our members the whole family comes down. The room rates are getting crazy, but where along the Jersey shore isn't?
    No no no no no no no!

You have no understanding of what the real mission of the Relief Association does aside from the convention. No insurance policy can do what the local Reliefs do. Please don't make that mistake.

My complete and total problem with them is this stupid, poor excuse for a convention and the lack of productive business that takes place at the convention.

BTW, I seem to remembeback in the "80's that they voted not to have it in Wildwood anymore. The convention bureau begged and pleaded and promised to play nice and the FF's gave in.

That is what will happen this time...mark my words.

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

Well.. one more down.. from what I hear the Lobster House burned to the ground over the weekend....

Thread Information