Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Fireman's Convention

Ok, it's little early so to speak But who all is going this year and have you had trouble finding a motel for the weekend? Just got back from Wildwood hit the motel I stayed at last year and put my name in for a room, hope to hear that one is available soon (just me and my family, another department is staying there and hopefully there is a room not being used)....Well here's the kicker, talking for the desk person she tells me this is the motels last convention it's being replaced with condo's and not just this motel but three to four others within a three block area are also closing....Yea the word is there is going to be two high-rise motels built by the convention center within two years for a total of another 2000 rooms, but what about 06' and 07' convention don't think the new ones will be done in time.
    Peace to our fallen brothers...

9/11/01 NYC WTC

7/4/02 Gloucester City, NJ

-=IACOJ=- The proof is in the crust

......Work hard, play hard, and always have fun along the way......

MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

Got my room booked and ready to go. I know our motel we've been using is undergoing renovation they added on a whole new 4 or 5 floor addition. Also the neighboring town had booked there motel for this year and when they called the owner to confirm the registration and pay the guy he told them that they need to find another place because it was torn down. Hopefully this year will be a good year.
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Forum Member

Default Wildwood....Not what it used to be !!!

The Wildwood Convention is in no way shape or form what it used to be. I remember as a kid going to the parade {which started at 1pm} and still be watching it at 7:30 - 8:00 that evening and most years it rained with the exception of a 1/2 dozen or so going back to the mid to late eighties.

My company still registers for a motel and the members pay the price. We've even down-scaled from what we once were. Straight room prices. - We used to hire a caterer, supply the beer / soda, and ice hire a DJ the whole bit. Prices became to high, and we haven't competed in 4 years {excluding 2001 for obvious reasons} - After winning the over-all championship 4 times in a row, a loss in 1999, and returned and cleaned up in 2000 we've done what was never done by any other company in the 127 years the convention has existed.

Wildwood in general is becoming a dangerous town. Violence at the bars, more and more problems from the summer rentals, Resturaunt Prices out of this world in some spots and now the motels that we all used to enjoy our convention weekends in are falling to higher priced condominiums - Because the city is falling apart and they need to re-vitalize it. - Aside from the Usual Summer renters My own opinion is that the Firefighters convention brought alot of money to that city in just four days than all other functions combined. - Think-of it Thousands of Firefighters and thier famlies means $$$$$ for the city but as usual a city is never satisfied

Default Re: Wildwood....Not what it used to be !!!

Originally posted by BD6413
    Wildwood in general is becoming a dangerous town. Violence at the bars, more and more problems from the summer rentals, Resturaunt Prices out of this world in some spots and now the motels that we all used to enjoy our convention weekends in are falling to higher priced condominiums - Because the city is falling apart and they need to re-vitalize it. - Aside from the Usual Summer renters My own opinion is that the Firefighters convention brought alot of money to that city in just four days than all other functions combined. - Think-of it Thousands of Firefighters and thier famlies means $$$$$ for the city but as usual a city is never satisfied
    Man do they get you coming and going in Wildwood, when we were down on Saturday I saw some signs for 3% sales tax at some of the construction supply places, now when I was on the boardwalk at one of the pizza places there on the back of the menu it stated there is a 8% Cape May County sales tax. Time to find another place to have this convention, I have three to go before I'm a lifemember by the time I'm done I'm going to be in the red just for being a delegate.

9/11/01 NYC WTC

We've been in the same motel since the convention moved back to Wildwood. Each year, while there, we book the rooms for the next year. This year, the motel has been sold. We're still in, but have yet to hear from the new owners what their plan is for next year. Being as we are diagnolly across the street from the convention hall, we're guessing the motel will be gone soon. I live in a town that is somewhat like Wildwood but on a MUCH smaller scale. The "summer weekend" visitor crowd has been getting more and more out of control. I think they figure if they are not drunk and breaking something or being loud, they aren't having fun. We do spend a considerable amount of money in the restaraunts, bars, and boardwalk, but we don't walk around being loud and making @$$#$ of ourselves.

Wouldn't it be great if they added some (if not more) training/seminars to the convention weekend? They try once in a while, but no one knows about it until 2 or 3 days beforehand, which is too late.

I'm going to be in the red just for being a delegate.
    Made Life a few years ago and I have never had a year that I was not in the red. The state "reimbursement" doesn't even cover the cost of the room.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Wildwood is not a dangerous town becuase of the tourist and transient crowd. It is a dangerous town due to the greediness of the hotel/motel operators who take/took in welfare people in the "off-season" then couldn't get them to leave. This has created a city with extensive urban blight, gang problems and the like.

The plan for rescuing the city is the condo craze and the creation of the "DooWop" theme area in the Crest. IMHO won't work. here's why.

Every year I took my family for a week at the Wai KiKi in the Crest. This year's rate was, with tax, about $230 a night for the type of room I need. One parking space. Rude hotel staff. Rooms that have not been upgraded in 20 years. No room service. Outrageous telephone rates. Even a $10 key deposit.

Last year, I took my family to Myrtle Beach. Price for a room with two bedrooms, two bathrooms, full kitchen, living room oceanfront, about $240 plus tax. Almost a brand new room. Room service. 2 televisions. two restaurants. Five pools. Two hot tubs. Tiki bar. Health club. Movie theater. Crowded city, but felt completely safe. Beautiful area. Wonderfully nice people.

I will only go back to Wildwood if I am doing an investigation. I would never go back there on vacation.

The convention should be abolished completely. I handed out this challenge last year. What business is conducted at that convention that has a positive impact on the NJ Fire Service?

The educational programs don't work because the FF don't want them. They want a three day drunk fest.

Wouldn't it be great if they added some (if not more) training/seminars to the convention weekend? They try once in a while, but no one knows about it until 2 or 3 days beforehand, which is too late.

I wouldn't mind having a seminar as part of the convention

The convention should be abolished completely. I handed out this challenge last year. What business is conducted at that convention that has a positive impact on the NJ Fire Service?

Your right there all business is done long before the convention, we are there just going thru the motions

The educational programs don't work because the FF don't want them.

You might be able to, if you make it part of the program. Safety or something that they can take back to their department, But that's reaching they would have to remember the three days they stayed in Wildwood first

They want a three day drunk fest.

That's the part of what I hate about going to Wildwood, I have to find my own motel for my family and I because the members of my department don't want family around because this way they can act up and get drunk

My view on this and it's just that my view. Do away with the convention as it is now, what's the attendance 2000+ delegates plus whatever Lifemembers show up say 3500 tops.... have the convention where just the people that are involed attended have your vendors and apparatus displays but add a seminar or two (one each day) and see how that works for a year.

9/11/01 NYC WTC

Actually, attendance is closer to 7000 the last 2 years. It is definitely much nicer in the new hall.

Seminars would work, but not having just 1 or 2. They need to setup a bunch of different options to get guys interested. While I think FDIC East was a great setup in Atlantic City, what I observed was the days that there were H.O.T. sessions were fairly calm, but the rest of the days turned into the drunkfest and gambling fest. It won't stop the "partying", but it will give more of a purpose for the others to attend.

In my opinion, until the great North vs South divide stops, nothing will get accomplished.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Then the South should give in.

MembersZone Subscriber

Relax. It was a JOKE!

Default Yo Bonesy

Sorry for butting in... Do you ever get sick of "Benny's" ?
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Default Re: Yo Bonesy

Originally posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    Sorry for butting in... Do you ever get sick of "Benny's" ?
    I must confess. I have a friend who got a job working for the Monmouth County Parks Department..She taught me that.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MIKEYLIKESIT, No, I honestly don't get sick of the "Benny's". Most of them are just out looking to relax and have some fun. Of course, you get the few that are PITA, but again, the majority are fine. With being on the boardwalk most of the summer weekends selling Harley raffle tickets, you get to meet a lot of people from all over the area. Get to see quite a collection of FF t-shirts walking around. FDNY still is the most popular, and most of the guys we talk to with them on, aren't members.

MembersZone Subscriber

Are most of the people you see wearing Yankee jerseys memebrs of the team?

George, since they are not doing as well this year (by Yankee standards), there aren't a lot of Yankee fans showing their support in my area. Seems they only support the team when it's got a great record and not just a good record.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Bones42
    George, since they are not doing as well this year (by Yankee standards), there aren't a lot of Yankee fans showing their support in my area. Seems they only support the team when it's got a great record and not just a good record.
    Didn't answer my question.

Sorry, that would be no.

Then again, haven't seen any Yankee's shirt yet this summer so it would have to be based on last years observations.

MembersZone Subscriber

So its not really that big of a deal that people wear shirts from a FD hat they dno't belong to, is it?

Get to see quite a collection of FF t-shirts walking around. FDNY still is the most popular, and most of the guys we talk to with them on, aren't members.
    Sorry George, had to repost what I said. Can't see where I said it was a big deal. Just mentioned a small fact. Most of the guys/girls that had other department shirts on, were members, in case you cared. And nope, that's not a big deal either. Thanks for asking.

Well another update, went to Wildwood again this past Satuday and what do you know about three to four block south of the convention hall there was a Motel that sat on three quarters of a block well it's gone now.

9/11/01 NYC WTC

Thread Information