Forum Member

Default UH-OH, No reduction call. Bad???

Well, on reading several posts I have determined that they only want to pay $1200 for turnout coat and pants. We asked for $1698.

Is this a bad sign, or are they looking at the low prices of some of our other requests (such as SCBA @ $3119) and figuring they average out????

Man, this is getting stressful. Give me a "code" or MVC w/ entrapment any day. LOL

MembersZone Subscriber

Have you received the 10 questions or 1199A update? If not relax, there are still more questions and updates to be sent out. No need to panic yet.

If you do end up getting an award, they are going to cut you down to $1200 on the gear.

What type of SCBA would you be purchasing for $3,119? Does this include a spare bottle?

MembersZone Subscriber

O.K. - I'll bite - where did the $1200 per figure come from ??

I asked for $2600 for a full ensemble (helmet, coat, pants, boots, gloves, and nomex) and I got the "8 Questions" last week - granted they may still call and cut it like they did our TIC's in '02.

Also got funded in '02 for SCBA's - complete unit $3500, spare cylinder $750 based on dealer quoted prices for MSA's newest Low Pressure packs.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

Yes, we got the "Q's" and 1199.

The airpacks are Scott fifty 2.2's w/ spare cylinder and integrated PASS.
    The turnout is Morning Pride PBI with all the bells and whistles.

I guess if they cut us back it's ok. Might be able to pull out a deal for some serviceable turnouts at $1200.
    (Kinda funny that even the Government Contract sales list price is over $1200)
    Must be that $1200 is 95% of some average price??????

We listed boots, Helmets, gloves, hoods separately.

I was just taken back by the fact we had not been contacted like a couple of others had. YET...........

MembersZone Subscriber

Folks the $1200 figure is for "pants and coats" only, it does not include helmets, gloves, boots etc. Whatch out for all thelittle "upcharges" on your turnout gear. That little extra radio pocket or individuals name and ID number on the coat can really add up quickly. When you write your grant you should think of those things as being what you can addd "from your budget" as extras. Remmebr the request has to be "reasonable" it does not pay for the things which make you "elite". YOu should also be very careful about specifiying a particular brand,as you will get caught up in a situation like what is described above where you cannot obtain what is needed, within the pricing sturcture that DHS offers you. Stya general in your terms describing these things ie; (10-sets of NFPA compliant structural turnout gear- $1000.00 per set x 10 = $10,000). Put your helmets, gloves and boots as seperate items.

KB
    CHIEF Grants

MembersZone Subscriber

Default For what its worth

If memory serves, a complete set of turnout gear is capped at $2000. When I wrote our narrative I used the info I picked up in here and maxed out the coat and pant request at $1200. I originally requested $255 per a helmet, but was reduced to $200 after we received the 10 questions. Our request of $255 for boots and $50 for gloves was unchahged by FEMA (we didn't request hoods becuase we already bought them)

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by ktb9780
    Put your helmets, gloves and boots as seperate items.
    Just to be clear, I'm not arguing - I'm trying to learn as this is only the second grant app. I've written, however

I'm curious as to why you suggest this when the Grant App. itself has (had) a specific item for "Complete Turnouts" as well as one for just coat/pants ?? I don't understand where you gain or loose either way.

I do understand your point about writing general specs on the gear (which I did) and not locking in to one specific brand or style.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

I was referring to when you list them in your "project descriptio" in the grant narrative.

I have also listed them like this:

10- complete sets of NFPA structural turnout gear
    (coat,pant, hood,helmet, gloves, boots) @ $1875.00 x 10 = $18,750.00

MembersZone Subscriber

Are you guys shopping? We req/rcvd $1500/set x15sets FY04 grant.

We just purchased/recvd Haix leather boots (very nice), carbon hood, helmet, goggles, leather gloves, extr.gloves, pants w/susp., coat (w/name & dept0 & radio pocket, helmet light, Streamlight handlight, 25' of webbing in a bag, combo hydrant tool. And a jumbo size kit bag for each man. Coat/pants were Janesville "next step down" from PBI. And had a little left over.

How you going to spend $2000+ per man? If you need some help call MES they gave us a decent bid and then we went to work on them.

$4900 x12 for Scott NxG2 high pressure SCBA (VERY NICE)
    Last edited by neiowa; 07-20-2005 at 01:10 PM.

Forum Member

I haven't seen much in the way of actually posting messages recieved, so I'm gonna break the trend.

I asked about reduction notices..........

Our grant was for $157,000 +/- in equipment.

We desperately need this equipment.

You know those departments who wonder whether the next fundraiser is gonna bring in enough to buy a couple pairs of gloves and who swat out brush fires with pine tops???
    That's us. (not really joking either)

Well, I got this today................

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005
    Subject: Marion Volunteer Fire & Rescue, Mississippi

Upon review of your application, the Program Office recommends the following reductions:

Reduce the price for coats/pants from $1698 to $1,200 x19 -$9,462

Remove 2 flashlight line-items, 8 @$24 and 25 @ $25 -$817

Remove two splints line-items -$230

Remove "supplies" (mass casualty kit) -$ 1,350

Total reduction = $11,859

If awarded, would you accept this reduction?

Your prompt response is appreciated.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's see...........hmmmmm........

Oh Yeah,..........

OF COURSE WE'LL TAKE THE REDUCTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information