Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Calls on awards

Forum Member

Default Calls on awards

Wonder if it will be this week the announcements start. If anyone recieves a call please post it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone in the loop heard anything recently? I know patience is a virtue but I ain't got much of either! Ha Ha!!

MembersZone Subscriber

With everyone at Peer panel for SAFER this week, I have serious doubts, although nothing confirmed from anyone, that anything will go down this week. Just highly unlikely that it would occur this week. But, who knows...stranger things have happened. Everyone's fingers still crossed.

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Exclamation

Chill. Congressional/Senate offices are notified on Wednesdays. If it's to be this week (and that's the rumor), tomorrow will be the day. A word of advice, don't bug the office. They get notified via a mass e-mail, so it could be any time throughout the day.

They'll call you when they get notice (at least they're supposed to) because they'll want to call to congratulate you and to do a press release. Whoever is the contact on the app. form is the person that will be called. Usually it's been the chief.

Good luck!!
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Don't bet the farm on this Friday!
    KB
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Being that it's 4:00 EST, I would venture a guess that awards aren't happening this week...

Stranger things have happened, though!
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."

Forum Member

Originally posted by DianeC
    Chill. Congressional/Senate offices are notified on Wednesdays. If it's to be this week (and that's the rumor), tomorrow will be the day. A word of advice, don't bug the office. They get notified via a mass e-mail, so it could be any time throughout the day.

They'll call you when they get notice (at least they're supposed to) because they'll want to call to congratulate you and to do a press release. Whoever is the contact on the app. form is the person that will be called. Usually it's been the chief.

Good luck!!
    I did call our Senator and the way I see it is if our Congressman don't know its broke how can they fix it. We are almost 2 months behind last year. Our Senators office was suprised that they are so far behind and they appreciated my call. I understand that the problem is with the OMB and not DHS and the first round is supposed to be rather large but I still worry about the depts that are working with sub-standard equipment that could have had new equipment 2+ months earlier.
    Just my 2 cents worth

Last year there was no SAFER, you need to consider that. Next year, I'm sure it will be better organized.

Regarding sub-standard equipment -- what did all of these departments do prior to the grant program even existing?? People shouldn't depend on the "what if's".

And there's less money to divy up this year, so maybe they're making sure i's are dotted and t's are crossed...
    Last edited by DianeC; 07-21-2005 at 09:07 AM.

What can any of us do? It is out of our hands and it does absolutely no good to "excessively worry" about this. If you have your 10 questions and 1199A with an award number for 05 on it, chances are you are going to get funded. We all just have to be patient. They posted a new "quote" on the SAFER page at firegrant support saying the awards would BEGIN in July. Our only certainty at this time is that they ALL will get announced SOMETIME soon.

As I said last week, they have been doing SAFER reviews all week and I would be greatly surprised if they could accomplish that and get the AFG announced, all at the same time. There has also been no indication that OMB has moved on the NOFA either, so it is out of their hands as far as I can see.

Chertoff's reorganization "announcment" last week had DHS scambling thinking that major funding shifts might be occurring. That did not come to pass but, I can certainly understand their reluctance to move forward until they knew the game plan.

For those of you who do not know, you should also realize that the staff at fire grant support has not had ANY increase in staffing levels so the mere fact that they have set the goal of having all these grants announced by October is a monumental undertaking, concidering that they are working with the same levels of staff as the last couple of years.

I am sure that they have not slowed down in processing 10 questions or 1199As, I heard from several departments that got questions and 1199as this week so that must mean they are still adding departments to the list. If they are keeping on their past pace, that would mean there are probably close to 3000 departments on the first round list by now.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Waterboy – I’ve had the same concern that you have. Everyday that the funding is delayed is another opportunity for a firefighter or citizen to be injured or killed due to sub-standard equipment, training, etc.

As for what all these departments did prior to the grant program . . . I’ll tell you what they did. They busted their butts with fundraisers and letter campaigns. They begged and borrowed whatever they could to stay in operation. They prayed every night that a call wouldn’t drop until the local mechanic that donates his labor could find the time to get the truck running again, or until they could somehow raise the funds to replace the sections of hose that burned at the last fire.

I agree, you shouldn’t hang your hat on “what ifs”, but we come to this forum and we are told that the ?’s and 1199A’s are pretty much a guarantee of an award - we can see that great big golden egg hanging on the horizon, just out of reach (for now). The grant program exists; we’re not making it up! The funding is there just waiting for a stroke of the pen to release it. There are thousands of fire departments across the country holding their breath, checking the website, reading this forum (ok, maybe that’s a stretch!) waiting to hear something, anything they can rely on . . . and so far there hasn’t been much of anything. So we start each week hopeful that just maybe it will happen this time, and then we get to the latter half of the week and we become dejected because there is nothing. No website updates, no “bear with us, we are working on it” . . . nothing. Don’t get me wrong, I understand that this grant program is a huge undertaking and that they are swamped. I know that the hang up is out of the DHS’s hands. I just think the bureaucrat somewhere up the line that is holding everything up may not realize that people’s lives could depend on the expedient funding of this program. I’m not looking a gift horse in the mouth - yes, this is “free money” from the government, but the stringent application process that we have to go through keeps it from being a handout . . . you have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you deserve it. No one deserves a boost from the government more than the fire service.

Just my rant . . . please don’t harass me for voicing my opinion.

Thanks for listening!

H

I only have one thing to add to that. Send this rant to your congressman and senators! You have every right to state that opinion and in essence, you are exactly right, this program's funding should not be held up in OMB because someone is not on the ball. Our complaints about the "slow pipeline" from the government to the locals was answered and dealt with by DHS, it appears those same fires need ot be lit under OMBs behind as well. I can assure you, this grant consultant follows his own advice, I have alerted all ocngressional representatives who I am in contact with and they have expressed dismay and shock as well. I just don't know how fast they can ignite that fire or fan the flames!
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

My call Tue the 26th said no grants till August. Hope they decide to suprise all of us.

Forum Member

Well will today be the big day. If anyone gets that call please let us know.

Thread Information