Forum Member

Default Nice training last weekend

On Saturday, we had some live fire evolutions in 4 rental cabins that were donated to us. It was pretty hot, but got most of the work done before noon, and finally flattened them after lunch.

Kudos to the property owner. He not only gave us good oportunity for training, but paid for all food, beverage, portapotty, and gave a nice donation to boot. Fun was had by all.

In the afternoon, while burning them down, we were visited by two brothers who were in Maine for vacation together. One from Newington Ct., and one fron FDNY, truck 175. I think they said the smoke drew them in.
    There goes the neighborhood.

Forum Member

Sounds like everyone had a good time, and free lunch on the property owner, too! (Not to mention the donation.) He probably saved a TON of money by calling you guys to come level them, buy your lunch, a porta potty, AND making a donation; rather than call a demo man with excavators. All he has to do now is have someone cart away a few hundred pounds of ashes! And in the long run, you guys gained some VALUABLE live-fire time! A great way to break in newbies and refresh the older guys. Hopefully you did your training within all the reccomendations of NFPA 1403, and no one got hurt! Good Job!

Most of the demo guys in our local give us a call when they know they have something (a building that is in fairly ok shape) that is worthy of our time. Even if we cant burn it, we can still smoke it up with the smoke machine and do S & R, filled hoseline evolutions, and all kinds of vent (windows, roofs, and floors for basement jobs) and salvage practice (walls & ceilings.)
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 07-19-2005 at 01:55 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

When someone donates a building or a vehicle to the FD for use in training, is there any kind of tax incentive, or is it (at least in a structure) purely for demolition cost factors?
    Isiah 43: When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    9-11-01. We Will Never Forget You.

Early Adopter

Default Re: Nice training last weekend

Originally posted by Rossco
    On Saturday, we had some live fire evolutions in 4 rental cabins that were donated to us. It was pretty hot, but got most of the work done before noon, and finally flattened them after lunch.
    The first live fire training I ever received was in an acquired structure... You can learn a lot from a hay bale fire.

However, the department that I now work for is in a very new community. I miss having the opportunity of acquired structures to train with. The oldest home where I work was built sometime around 1972. The only homes they tear down here are ones that we don't make a good stop on.

Forum Member

Oh yes, I can nearly recite the 1403 for aquired structures. We had 4 newbies who got the first taste of interior, and lots of exposure protection as we flattened them. One small incident when a hose burst. It must have been hit by a sharp object or something. Other than that, very smooth.

We had the smoke machine in these buildings a few times over the last couple weeks. We made the most of it for our members, and some from neighbor towns. We may have another building for fall, and rumor is that Maine Fire Training may come down and run it for us. This would be great, so more of us can play.

The consruction company that owns the property obviously stands to save some money, but I won't hold that against him. Mutually beneficial actions are always a bonus. The hardware store and rental cabins have made way for a realestate brokerage firm, a donut shop, and of course the construction company.

A week after my fire fighter 1, all 52 of us were invited to a burn in a nearby town. It was great to practice our newly aquired skills under a somewhat controlled environment.
    There goes the neighborhood.

Thread Information