Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Fire Officer Training

Does anyone recommend a particular program for fire officer training? I find a lot of programs that cover some aspects of being a fire officer, especially for wildland firefighters, but don't find many complete programs.

I'd like to improve our fire officer training. We provided the National Fire Academy's Fire Officer 1 program some years back, but need more variety rather than repeating what we've already done.

Has anyone developed a good program for your department that we can "borrow?" I'd be glad to reciprocate. We have considerable expertise in response to events involving radioactive materials, as we cover the Hanford Nuclear Reservation in Washington State. We're also well versed in hazmat response and provide rescue technician training.

Thanks.

Mac Knight
    HFD Training BC
    william_m_mac_knight@rl.gov

Forum Member

BC Mike Gress (Poudre Fire Authority) and I wrote an article on an officer development program in Northern Colorado for Fire Chief Magazine's September 1999 edition. The article is called Colorado Co-op, and it describes the program and lists the subjects taught. If you aren't able to find it, contact me and I can send you my text version. I also teach for officer development programs in other states, so I do see many good models and could share more info if you're interested.

Mary Sovick
    www.firelineonline.com

MembersZone Subscriber

msovick

Mary, could I also get a copy of that? Thank you very much.

macknight

Does Chris Artz work for you? If so would you have him contact me.

Thanks

Talking

Try www.fsi.uiuc.edc they have a great program Officers school 5 days, in the Spring and Fall, I'm heading there in the spring, all the way from Canada so it's gotta be good!!

MembersZone Subscriber Rescue21D's Avatar

Default Error

LtBlondie,

Your link doesn't work. I believe it should have been this:

http://www.fsi.uiuc.edu
    Captain/EMT-P

Forum Member

Mary,

I'm interested in reading your article. I went to the Fire Chief website and searched the Sept 99 articles but didn't see anything like what you talked about...

Forum Member

You're right; for some reason, there's no link to our article. I'll need your normal e-mail address so I can send you (and anyone else who is interested) our draft of the article as an attachment. I don't see a way to do that here. The easiest way to do that is to send an e-mail to my address listed below so I can respond.

Sincerely,

Mary Sovick
    msovick@frii.com
    www.firelineonline.com

Red face

your right rescue21D so sorry...me and computers..not good friends yet!! LOL

Thread Information