Thread: building layout

MembersZone Subscriber

Default building layout

We had a drill the other night in a two story house, we attacked the fire by entering back door in the rear of the building. From training I was told that the building side facing the street would usually be side #1 inless the IC decides the building should be different. What would your department label the rear of the building which all attack line entered through? I had it as 3. But other members said that the side the hose line enters would be side 1.

What are your thoughts?

Thank You,
    Dean

Forum Member

In my dept, you entered through side C.

Side A = street side and clockwise around from there.

MembersZone Subscriber

In my dept you entered on side 3 or C. As I understand it the side that the units first arrive on is side 1 or A. Then clockwise from there.

Forum Member

Side C ..... Here, side A is always going to be the "address side" of the building.

MembersZone Subscriber

Side "c"
    numbers are reserved for floors.

Forum Member

The side you entered should be Side "C" or Side 3. We use Division "C" and #'s refer to levels above grade. You should address this at your next training class. Everyone in the department needs to be on the same page. What would happen if you got lost and said you were on side "3" and people were on the opposite side of the structure looking for you thinking they were on side "3".
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

Forum Member

The rear of the house is the "charlie" side. The letters B, C and D sound too much alike.

The sides in order from the front are Alpha, Bravo, Charlie and Delta.

Floors are called divisions. 1st floor, Division 1, 2nd floor, Division 2.

The basement and attic are called basement and attic divisions.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Same here, although sometimes we get working with others who have different ideas. The sad part is that I have seen it different ways in different training literature. Is there an NFPA standard for this question?
    There goes the neighborhood.

MembersZone Subscriber

For us, where ever the chief sets up command, is refered to as "exposure 1" I always try and preface which ever side I'm refering to w/ "exposure".
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

Forum Member

Cap... as usual you are correct again. We use the same as what you stated and I guess I should have typed it that way to clarify. We always try to use Alpha, Bravo, Charlie...and so on when referring to letters for the simple fact that like you said to many things sound the same.

We have a set of condo/apartments with buildings being id's being letters and units being numbers so we frequently get "Activated Fire Alarm Building M Apt 4 or whatever" Same deal there. M and N sound so similar that we will refer to it is 'Building Michael, Apt 4"

Thread Information