Thread: 2 departments?

Forum Member

Default 2 departments?

Is it OK to be an explorer for 2 departments? To make a long story short, I live in a fairly large suburb (120,000 people, 10 fire stations), and about a year ago, I asked them if they had an explorer post, and they said they didn't. However a neighboring fire district, which is fairly large themselves, did, so about a month ago, I finally joined them. However, this past Saturday, at an event put on by our area SPAAMFAA Chapter, I saw some kids wearing explorer shirts for my city's department, and talked to the person in charge of it, and he said they had just recently started, so I joined them as well. Has anyone else ever been in/is in 2 different explorer posts? I don't want to quit my first one, because I've officially signed up, and become friends with the people there. I guess it can't hurt though.

Thanks,
    Travis

Forum Member

No, but I did try. The other post I wanted to join wouldn't take me since I didn't live within the school district.

MembersZone Subscriber

Can't imagine why you couldn't do two at the same time. When I was a junior firefighter at one department I was also active with a volunteer ambulance company. I say: learn all you can.

Forum Member

I know people who have done it. All far as I know they have all worked out and stayed on both departments. That is not an uncommon thing to be on two different departments. People in the regulare membership are members in my own town and our neighboring towns. All I have to say is do what you can. Plus you will learn alot and learn different things and different ways and techniques to the fire service.
    Stay Safe
    Eng # To firecom I have a 1 story wood frame structure with a man on the roof putting the fire out...

MembersZone Subscriber

nothing rong with that my post has 1 guy who is with another department as well it makes no difference

MembersZone Subscriber

We have several Explorers that belong to several organizations;FD,PD and Volunteer Ambulance. Good luck!

Forum Member

I don't know anyone personally, that is a member of two post, but I am a member of a small town explorer post that is both police and fire.

Forum Member

Where are you gonna find time for school amongst running 2 posts? I'm not saying it is a bad idea, however maybe you would be better off sticking to one post and seeing if every once and a while both posts can train together.

Thread Information