Forum Member

Default Soon to be AF Firefighter logging in...

Hey, what's going on in here?

My name is Jonathan Lobb. Soon to be A1C Jonathan Lobb though. I leave for basic training for the United States Air Force on October 24th, and then onto fire protection tech school at Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo.

Anyways, I've wanted to be a fire fighter for many years now and finally found my opportunity to both serve my country, and persue my dream.

I was activily involved in Civil Air Patrol search and rescue for 6 years, all the way through jr. high and high school. That got me started down the path to firefighting I guess. I like saving people.

Anyways, I'm 19 right now. I went to college right after I graduate high school, a big mistake. I should have gone directly into the military.

I hope to spend 4 years in the Air Force, and hopefully complete my Fire Science degree through the CCAF while I'm in, as well as attending at least advanced rescue school. Then I'd like to go back to college and get a bachelors degree, though I'm not sure in what. Hopefully after that I can get a job on with one of the big departments in the country. My dream would be to get a busy house in the FDNY, but I don't know what's required to get a job with them, I hear it's amazingly difficult. I wouldn't mind a job with Dallas Fire Rescue or just about any other major urban department.

anyways, that's me in a nutshell. a very big nutshell.

Forum Member

wow. Nobody cares.

former FH.com member

Hey Bro congrats and good luck. Boot is a pain in the *** but is more mental than anything. Get used to being yelled at for anything/everything/everytime and keep a sense of humor (to yourself of course). BMT is a life changing experience and you'll be a stronger person for having completed it. I did 8 yrs in the Air Force as an SP and had a great time. I actually live in San Antonio now and I love the city. If you want to work in a big city you may want to consider applying here with SAFD after you complete your enlistment. Best of luck to you and stay out of the "Snake Pit" at the chow hall. -SAFD46Truck

Forum Member

Congrats from me as well. An opportunity to serve your country and become a firefighter-then one day serve a community - thats much for your friends/family to be proud of...good luck son.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

SAFD46Truck-

I was born in San Antonio. I love that city, almost as much as I love Dallas and New York. Maybe more than Dallas, not sure.

Anyways, after I get out I'll definitely look at San Antonio. How hard is it to get a job there? Dallas and New York I hear are both rediculously hard and take a VERY VERY long time.

former FH.com member

SAFD is very competitive when it comes to hiring. But nowhere near as ludicrously hard as FDNY. We test every year and for the next few years we will be hiring a lot as a generation of FF's are retiring. Usually about 3-4000 test for 40-50 positions each year. You can look on www.sanantonioFIRE.org to check out the department.

Forum Member

What are San Antonio's requirements for employment? Do they send everybody to the training academy after you get the job? What if you're already certified as a fire fighter in Texas? I'll train at the fire academy in San Angelo for the Air Force and come out with FF1 and air field qualifications. Will have I have to go through all of that again if I get a job with SAFD?

former FH.com member

Yep, everyone goes through Drill School when they get hired....everyone. It's 6 months long and when you are finished you will have FF1, FF2, HazMat Ops, NREMT-B, EVOC and more. ALready being certified won't help you get hired although Drill School will probably be much easier for you. What WILL help you though is the 5 veterans points you'll get on the written exam. Those points can make all the difference.

Forum Member

bummer. Because I'll have all of that except EMT-B after I finish tech school, and I was planning on getting my EMT-B while I was in. I'm also gonna try and go to Advanced Rescue school.

I guess all the training and experience I get while I'm in the Air Force will help me at whatever academy I end up having to go to after I get out.

Kind of silly if you ask me. What would be really funny is if I get a job at a department that sends it's firefighters to San Angelo for training. I'd be taking the EXACT same course all over again.

former FH.com member

Yeah, might as well get used to the idea of repeating the academy now. If you want to go with a large metro FD, the majority will want you trained their way by their people. It also starts everyone on the same level in the department because you have all been there/done that. When you look at the folks around you, you know exactly how they were selected and how they were trained. It's all worth it though, I myself was previously certified as a FF/EMT before I got hired. I enjoyed SAFD's academy more because I was under much less pressure than the guys with no training. I spent more time concentrating on learning the specific way to do things for my department and getting to know the guys with me who I will work with for the next 25+ yrs.

Forum Member

yeah, really I have no problem with it. I think it'll be more fun the second time around.

I just can't wait to go for the first time. December can't come soon enough.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Forum Member

Hey there Jonathan,

I'm 19 as well. My mistake was going to university (away from home) right after high school, I'm going to go to community college in September and live at home.

Kelly
    2005 Pontiac Wave 5 Hatch
    Pontiac... built for drivers

Forum Member

My mistake was going to university (away from home) right after high school,
    funny you should say that. I did the same thing and I now look at it as my biggest mistake. Though if I'd been smarter I think I would have enlisted before I graduated so I could have left for basic at the beginning of summer.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Forum Member

My last boyfriend was American, and he was A1C in the USAF at Ellsworth in South Dakota but now he's in England for 3 years.
    2005 Pontiac Wave 5 Hatch
    Pontiac... built for drivers

Thread Information