recrutement / retension / incentives
I'am responsible for getting new members in my company and enjoy every minute of it! any time I'am in a group of people, at a ball game in town, provide EMS at the high school, wherever, I sell my company!! Who we are as people first , what we have accomplished as firefighters, were we have exceled as a company, the benefits of being a member,and were we want to see our company go. one thing that sets us apart is we are a non drinking ,non smoking and do not deal or tolerate with the political crap that seams to destroy most departments company and it seams to work very well with retention. all our members make 60%, made losap $1150 (the funny thing ,nobody cares about losap) meets every wed for training, continues advanced training on their own. we stress family, brotherhood, profesionalism, and the most important " RESPECT "! our ENG 98% of the time rolls with a crew,the other 2% driver and FF. we have found that by asking to give what they can and provide good leadership they give more with out asking. what more could we ask for! :)
"there is no greater family outside our own than the brotherhood of firefighters"
How do you become a volunteer firefighter?
Hey there current/future firefighters. I have just recently wanted to become a firefighter, but first I want to start off as a volunteer firefighter. Where do I start and how can I become a volunteer firefighter?
west virginia house bill 2080
I Am A Lieutenant With The Valley Grove Vfd. We Had A Local Politician Come To One Of Our Meetings Wanting To Learn A Little More About The Fire Service. His Office Just Awarded Our Department With A $5,000 Dollar Grant To Help Build A Bridge To The Site Of Our Future Firehouse. While At Our Meeting He Discussed A Bill That He Is Trying To Pass Inwhich Would Give A $500.00 Tax Credit To Anyone Who Is An Active Member In A Volunteer Fire Or Ems Agency. Now $500.00 Seems Small For All The Hard Work We Do, But It Is Start In The Right Direction. So If This House Bill Passes, We Hope That Will Get Some More People Interested. I Will Let You All Know How It Goes. Good Luck To All In There Search For New Membership.
Have you ever tried the local college?
A very valuable resource that many communities overlook is the local college? I am a senior in college and I have just joined our local VFD. I know that our campus is completely overlooked by the community. College students have a lot of free time during the day because we are only in class for 2-3 hours per day and keep late hours. My campus has about 1500 students and it is a residential campus in a town of 15,000 and I am pretty sure I am the only firefighter on it.
The college campus is a good opportunity it get students to become dedicated volunteers before they become white collar workers. If you start early you can get 4-5 years out of a college student and some might even stay for the summers because they would rather be at college than at home. One of the biggest hurdles to get over is that many fire departments do not like the local college kids because of the amount of false alarms that they have to report to in the middle of the night.
You would be surprised how many people would be willing to join. You might even want to contact the college and work out a deal so that the student volunteers could receive a little bit if college credit if they respond to a certain amount of calls and this would cost the VFD nothing.
Just my 2 cents worth!