Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by BD6413
    Thank's LVFD301 I'm happy to see that there are still companies out there that accept firefighters for their expirence as oppsed to a piece of paper.

I'll have to turn-down the offer however......I'm trying to keep my response down to under 2 miles. It would be a little tough to make a rig at over 1100 miles.

I somehow don't think you would get the page.....

Forum Member

Perhaps a pager with 14 billion jigga - watts ?

Hopefully you don't opperate on a 800mhz. Digital Radio System. They're priceless. - -

Forum Member

Well for anyone who may have my previous posts.....

I attended the Company Meeting last evening and was voted into the company but......

Next step is a criminal back-ground investigation conducted by local PD and then sent to the state which could be as long as 6 weeks to be returned. Than a physical, wait for results, than a physc. evaluation. Once all the results are in and the board acts upon them we could be talking the end of November before I can even be issued gear and ride apparatus.

All this to Volunteer.......As I said I too am also a Career Firefighter and I didn't have to go through any of this for my job except a basic physical and blood work with same day results. However, If I had a criminal back-ground and physc. issues I don't think I'd be in the job I'm in. -- I hope I don't keep hearing ..."Please Volunteer.." or "...What if no one answered your call...." because in the end it all seems like a crock of horse sh** Fire Companies scream and pawl to get people to join and then you have to go through more than getting a regular job to give a few hours a week.

I'm willing to see this through....I already fight fires, perform EMS skills, and operate apparatus and get paid for it. But I just find it strange that as badly as volunteers are needed through out the US the entrance requirements are outrageous ! Could it be because of issues and requirements like these that quality volunteers can not be retained ? I'm starting to lean in that direction.

Forum Member

BD's situation brings up an interesting question.... How professional should a volunteer fire company strive to be ??

Should there be required physicals as that would eliminate folks with health issues that may increase the chance of a fireground death? Should volunteer companies do a background check to eliminate the possibility that the perspective member has a history of theft or arson? Should they do a psych evaluation to determine if he is a potential arsonist ? Should they be required to complete current training with the new department before running calls, even if they have previous experience or training?

In short, should the volunteer fire service make the perspective member go through the following steps and make him wait out the process to enhance the professionalism of the department? It is certainly an intersting question, and how much does it affect volunteer recruiting and retention. It is certainly a quandry as many members of the public and goverment officials are demanding (through legislation, among other things) a more "professional" volunteer fire service.

In my mind, the steps this department are taking are not excessive, but there is no doubt, thier process could have both a positve and negative affect on recruiting. It could be argued that by taking these steps, they are building an organization with a certain amount of pride, as the members have to do more than walk in the door to become a firefighter. On the other hand, I am sure that there have been persepective members (some qualified and some that the process would have weeded out anyways) that became ****ed off with the hoops and process and just left. Like it or not, this is a job, and like employers, volunteer departments have differing levels of screenings and requirements, often based on location and run volume, to become a member. Some are very minimum and lax .. some are more expansive. However, as the cry for "the same training as full-time firefighters" from the state, regulatory and firefighting organizations and the cries of "same service as a career department" gets louder from the community, ask yourself which organization is more likely to be able to meet those demands?
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 08-08-2006 at 04:36 PM.

Having been involved with the membership committee for the last 15+ years, I can honestly say we have not had anyone say "No Thanks" or "Not Interested" once they started the process. Here's how ours works, by "some" method, the person says Yes they want to be a member. They get an application, a physical form, and sign an Ok to have the PD do a background check. They then return the application, physical form, and the signed Ok form to us. PD then does the background check, which is done within 1 or 2 days most times. Assuming all is well, the person meets with our Review Board, which meets the first Tue of each month, and gets the "face to face" interview/discussion. At the end of the Review Board meeting, the regular company meeting is held and the person is voted on as a probationary member. They can be probationary for 6 months up to 1 year, in which time they must start their state FF1. If they already have it, the probation is 6 months while they get used to how "we" do things. We don't make people members and then do all the background checks, we do the background checks first. Also, the person has the option to go to the "Town" doctor for the physical exam at no charge to them. The whole process, from first talking about joining to getting voted on, can be done in less than 1 month.

It's interesting to see what others do.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Our process, in my opinion is too lax. We do not require a physical, and do an "informal" background and drivers licence check through the Sheriff's department.

The perspective member turns in an application, then "observes" for 3 weekly training sessions. After showing up for 3 weekly training sessions, he/she is issued a pager and a vest, and will show up for training and fire calls as a non-participating observer for the next 4 weekly training sessions (may take more than 4 weeks if he/she misses a week of training). At that point, if the officers approve, he/she will be given gear and be able to respond to runs. He/she is not allowed interior and will perform basically support duties until he acquires skills.

We have a 5 page check-off skill sheet, based on Firefighter 1, which ranges from simple task such as donning gear to interior skills including minimum bottle use training or live fire (under officers supervision) requirements. The average member takes 7-9 months to complete this. Once completed, they are off probabtion and considered a full member/firefighter.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Here's a good reason to spend that extra time running background checks, as well as having proper membership guidelines:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/4096023.html

In this case the background checks were done, showed a prior conviction, but member voted in anyway.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301
    I somehow don't think you would get the page.....
    Text message paging. Hop on the next plane for smoke showing at a factory.

Thread Information