Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default ICE (In Case of Emergency)

ICE In Case of Emergency

A campaign encouraging people to enter an emergency contact number in their mobile phone's memory under the heading ICE (In Case of Emergency), has rapidly spread throughout the world as a particular consequence of last week's terrorist attacks in London.

Originally established as a nation-wide campaign in the UK, ICE allows paramedics or police to be able to contact a designated relative / next-of-kin in an emergency situation.

The idea is the brainchild of East Anglian Ambulance Service paramedic Bob Brotchie and was launched in May this year. Bob, 41, who has been a paramedic for 13 years, said: "I was reflecting on some of the calls I've attended at the roadside where I had to look through the mobile phone contacts struggling for information on a shocked or injured person. Almost everyone carries a mobile phone now, and with ICE we'd know immediately who to contact and what number to ring. The person may even know of their medical history."

By adopting the ICE advice, your mobile will help the rescue services quickly contact a friend or relative - which could be vital in a life or death situation. It only takes a few seconds to do, and it could easily help save your life. Why not put ICE in your phone now? Simply select a new contact in your phone book, enter the word 'ICE' and the number of the person you wish to be contacted.

Please support this program and assist our emergency services across the globe.

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber pvfire424's Avatar

Done

Quick question,: Do (they) reccomend putting the name & relationship also after the .ICE ? That way, the caller would know who to ask for, and who they are to the victim.

Also I was under the impression that if you put the . in front of ICE that it would show up first on your contacts list.

EDIT :

I just went back and looked, the . put it last on my contacts list.

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Please remember to never ever leave home without your cell phone. And if you don't have one, get one.

PS - for those that lock their phones, make sure you tape your access code to the phone first.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber pvfire424's Avatar

Or better yet, if you dont own a cell phone, dont ever get into a situation that might require the need for emergency contact information.

MembersZone Subscriber

Why not just use things like mom, dad, wife. I know on my cell my imidiate family is listed as such with both home and cell numbers. And it seems that any idiot could figure out mom, dad, or wife. Not so with ICE.

As I said in the other thread, why not just list "Emergency Contact". It fits in the majority of phones. If that doesn't work, I'm sure you can fit "Mom", "Dad", or something similar.

What ever happened to KISS?

Originally posted by Res343cue
    What ever happened to KISS?
    I'll go you one better.

KISS means forget the cell phone idea altogether and encourage people to keep in case of emergency numbers on a card in their wallet. Far simpler; far better than the latest trendy "ICE" scheme. (Granted, they have the right idea, but they're overthinking the solution and relying too much on exotic technology for a problem that can far more easily be solved without it.)

But that's just my opinion.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Thread Information