Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default FDCs, sprinkler connections, risers... Oh my!

Hi everyone.
    I'm pretty green and I would feel <b>really</b> stupid asking for clarification from the guys I work with, but could you all tell me what these do? I've never seen an engineer hook up to these or anything, so I'm kinda confused. Are they all intakes? Or what? Just any information you could give me would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ashley

MembersZone Subscriber pvfire424's Avatar

these are all components of a sprinkler system
    FDC= Fire Department Connection, the spout on the outside of the building where the pumper hooks to. (If memory serves it should be a clappered siamese)

Riser= the main vertical pipe supplying the sprinkler system

anything else ?

Oh yeah , (once again if memory serves...) should be supplied with a pumper capable of 1500 gpm at 150 psi

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

Default Re: FDCs, sprinkler connections, risers... Oh my!

Originally posted by freakyjello
    Hi everyone.
    I'm pretty green and I would feel <b>really</b> stupid asking for clarification from the guys I work with,
    Ashley,

Don't ever be afraid to ask questions, and don't ever stop asking them, either. There's always something else to learn in this profession.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Ashley.. the FDC is the connection to the sprinkler system, a standpipe system or both. Some buildings have both sprinklers and standpipes and the FDC's are appropriately marked for the function.

The riser can be either for the standpipe system (think of an interior pressurized hydrant and taking hose lines off of that) or the floor to floor connection to the FDC for the sprinkler system (the pipes that come off the riser to feed the sprikler system are called branches, not to be confused with the Aussie slang for nozzles... )

The only time the chauffeur/pump operator/engineer would hook into a FDC, other than a drill, would be for a working fire.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 07-22-2005 at 08:22 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you everyone, that helps me a lot.

Don't forget also - FDCs can be as simple as a single 2-1/2" threaded connection (for smaller systems) to a 4 or 5" storz connection on a building. I know a lot of suburbs around Chicago are going to the single LDH feed for FDCs.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Asheville, North Carolina, United States of America

Default ! 1/2" FDCs

A lot of residential units in our area have 1/1/2" FDC connections.

Perhaps you are talking about wall hydrants? They sort of look like FDCs but are discharges off the buildings fire pump. Ive never seen anyone or hooked to one myself.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Default Wall Hydrants

We have a few around the University of Kentucky high-rises. And each place they are right next to the FDC. The easiest way I have found to tell the difference is that male connection supplies water (like a normal hydarnt would) and the female water takes water (kinda like my wife and the check book, that's a different story.) That's in the perfect world though, I am certain somewhere this is not the case. It is important to learn your district and see where you might need to make a connection.

Thread Information