From the Trinidad Guardian

A 40-year-old woman was killed and six other people were injured, when an ambulance and a car collided on the Priority Bus Route yesterday.

Shirley Small, a nursing assistant of John John in Laventille, was killed instantly, when the ambulance overturned and landed on her.

Sustaining minor injuries were Barry Peters, Tracy Cupid, Denny Henry, Krishna Joseph and the driver of the car, Jacqueline Hernandez. Suzanne Robinson suffered a fractured arm.

Joseph, the ambulance driver, said he was transporting Henry, a patient, from Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex, Mt Hope, to Port-of-Spain General Hospital, around 3 pm, when the collision occurred.

“It was me, two nurses, two ward attendants and the patient, who is critically ill, in the ambulance. When I reached the traffic lights I got the red light. I slowed down and when I didn’t see any other vehicles, I drove across,” Joseph said, with droplets of blood running down his face from abrasions sustained during the accident.

The driver said he was heading to PoS, but upon reaching Mt Lambert Circular, Hernandez’ Lancer, PBC 9028, shot out of the intersection heading in a northerly direction.

When the vehicles collided, Small, who was sitting at the back of the ambulance, was thrown out on impact.

Joseph and another attendant were treated and discharged.

Up to yesterday evening, the others were still undergoing treatment at the EWMSC.

And in another vehicular, a truck driver’s arm was broken and a woman was injured when the truck skidded on the road and fell onto the car.

This accident occurred on the west-bound lane of Churchill-Roosevelt Highway at the end of Aranguez Main Road.

Traffic backed up for miles as a backhoe was used to turn over the truck.

Up to yesterday evening, their names were not released by the police.