Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ooops, wong car

Forum Member

Default ooops, wong car

Jul 22, 8:27 PM EDT

Firefighters tear apart wrong vehicle

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -- Albany firefighters were tearing apart a minivan as part of a training exercise when someone noticed the personal items inside. That's when they realized they had trashed the wrong vehicle.

This week, Albany officials approved the city's share of the $12,000 bill for the 2002 Dodge Caravan that was mistakenly ripped open during a drill at a junk yard a year ago.

Officials say the firefighters routinely practice accident scene rescue techniques by tearing open donated junked cars. In June 2004, they were supposed to practice on an older vehicle located on another part of junk yard.

Instead, they used the Jaws of Life to tear open a three-year-old minivan that was at the business to undergo repairs.

The owner of the junk yard admitted its role in the mistake and is splitting the cost of the van with the fire department.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.
    The morale of the story:always double check before tearing up a car.

Forum Member

Yikes!
    2005 Pontiac Wave 5 Hatch
    Pontiac... built for drivers

Hahahahha. We always joke about that just before a drill, but I didn't think anyone actually did it.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Default to quote a brother......

How'd that turn out?

NOT TOOOOOOO GOOOD!
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

I remember watching this on the local news when this 1st happened (we get Albany stations here). Now, the local junkyard, if we do the extrication drills at their place, mark the cars with "traffic orange" spraypaint and put the vehicles in a predetermined location on their lot.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

The same thing happened in Columbus several years ago. The guy parked his car where the vehicles they were supposed to use were placed. He had backed the vehicle into his parking space, and it had no front plate (illegal in Ohio). No one knew anything was wrong until he came out asking where his car was at. It was pretty much a big "filet" at this point and largely unrecognizable. Funny thing was that the cars they had been given to tear apart were all in better shape than the car that the guy drove in with.

The salvage yard gave him a car off of their lot in compensation.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

It happened in my county too, only the blame didn't fall on the FD's shoulders.

A local junkyard agreed to provide a vehicle for an extrication demonstration but brought the wrong car. The FD, not knowing any better, proceeded to put on the demo. Apparently, someone in the crowd actually knew the owner and recognized the vehicle but spoke up too late.

This post put a smile on my face. Hilarious - as long as it wasn't my car.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

We've joked about this right before a drill too. Not so funny when it actually happens. So perhaps we shouldn't park our good cars near the junk yard. LOL

We had a mishap at an accident scene where an onlooker apparently offered for the accident victims to sit in the back of her car. we showed up to see a young girl laying in the back of a car, complaining of back and neck pain, and that she couldn't feel her legs. The car was situated so that it looked like it was involved in the accident, stuck in the snow bank, and crooked in the road. It was a 4 door, but the rear doors wouldn't open enough to get her out of there while on the back board, sooooo, I sprung the rear door open further than its intended swing, and out she came. 3 other cars were involved, scattered all over the place, so the vehicle owner understood the mistake, and did not persue it. We got lucky.
    There goes the neighborhood.

Whenever we cut apart cars, we do it on site at our fire station. If they bring the wrong car, it's not our fault
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

The same thing happened in the town of Framingham. Someone parked their rolling POS in the same line as the cars that the Framingham FD had delivered for their vehicle extrication drills. There was no plate on the front of the vehicle, and it was in such poor condition (dented, cracked windshield and filthy rotten dirty on the outside, a rolling dumpster on the inside) that the FFD's training officer thought it was part of the delivery!

The owner of the car insisted that the FFD buy him a brand new vehicle. I believe the town paid him the book value for the car.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

I don't think this has happened in our neck of the woods... however, we usually get people who donate vehicles and sometimes they just show up in the training pit.... I always wondered what would happen if someone stole a car, used it in a robbery, then parked it in an FD training pit.......?

I do know of someone cutting the battery cables of a car parked next to the accident scene thinking it was involved.....
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

I agree .......pretty darn funny as long as it didnt happen here ..........WHOOOOPS ........and also ........"Uh ....hey Chief...ya got a sec?"
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

I can't imagine the look on the guys face.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Uh, Yeah.........................

Cutting up the car wasn't too bad, as long as the occupants escaped..... Like Spartan Guy, we have a towing company that provides cars for our Rescue Training, delivered to our Station, and cut up in a specific area in the rear of the station. And, Capt Gonzo, Do you suppose the car was parked in the wrong place ON PURPOSE?? Probably been tried somewhere. Sudden Thought # 935,689,342,732,805.3 "Is Cutting the Wrong Car as bad as Burning the Wrong House?"
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Default Re: Uh, Yeah.........................

Originally posted by hwoods
    Capt Gonzo, Do you suppose the car was parked in the wrong place ON PURPOSE??
    Ding ding ding ding ding! We have a winner! The owner of the car thought he would get a new car out of it...the clunker wasn't worth anything except scrap value.

Sudden Thought # 935,689,342,732,805.3 "Is Cutting the Wrong Car as bad as Burning the Wrong House?"
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Nope!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

We also have a towing company who brings us vechicles to the station to use...the guy brings them and takes them away when we're done pretty much whenever he pleases, and we get people who ocasionally park in that lot, so a mistake could be possible...fortunately the guy from the wrecker company spray paints the vehicles with his name or "RVFD," so that doesn't happen.

I don't think that has ever happened here, but some depts. around could stand to learn to try before they pry...
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Co11FireGal
    I don't think that has ever happened here, but some depts. around could stand to learn to try before they pry...
    or maybe check before they wreck...
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Uh Huh..........................

Originally posted by Co11FireGal

Or, in the case of accompanying Fire, Look before they Cook....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

But the question should be, did they get some good training out of it?
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Thread Information