Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Math Question

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Math Question

I have a question on a math problem im trying to figure out. If anyone could explain how to answer it, i would appreciate it.

79+v225-23=??

I have no idea what the "v" stands for.

"victory?"
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Is it a simple algebraic equation?
    V = .24888888?

OR
    56-(V/225)
    We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering.

in other words some more info will help solve the problem
    We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering.

sorry buddy, its impossible to work out if you dont know the value of 'v' or the value on the other side of the = sign.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

MembersZone Subscriber

I notice you asked how to solve the equation, not for the answer.

Since 79-23 = 56 you can rearrange the equation as:

225V + 56 = ??

Now, substitute X and Y for V and ?? (this is to get the equation in a more friendly format.)

225X + 56 = Y

Graph the equation using Cartesian coordinates (X,Y graph) by starting with X=0.

When X = 0, Y = 56 Plot this point on the graph.
    When X = 100, Y = 22,556 Plot this point on the graph.

Connect the two points with a straight line. You can now read the value for Y for any given value of X.

(NOTE: If 22,556 is too large for your use, try X = 5 and Y = 1,181. You can use any number you desire for X)

Hence, not only is there an answer, but there are an infinite number of answers.

BTW: For those believing the solution is 0.24888..., you have to assume that ?? = 0. This was not stated in the problem. Also, and more importantly, if ?? = 0, the answer would be -0.24888... (Donít forget the negative sign.)

Skewer1530 is right, more information is needed.

Now, Iím sure the real joke/spoof will be revealed and we will all laugh.

Yeah, what he said!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    IAFF

Uhhhhh....

79+v225-23=??

Where ?? = 0...

79-23=56
    v255+56-56=0-56
    v255=-56
    v=-56/255
    v=-.24888888

At least fill us in on the topic this concerns so that maybe we can figure out what the "v" is for...
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

In the words of Auger:

"NERDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Right now, anyone under the age of about 23 is asking themselves "Who is Auger?"

And for all of you kids with the answer to this useless bit of information (it is useless to anyone but wyr76365 who needs it for a grade) you all need to get out more. You also need to get rid of the pocket protectors.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

But what if one of our pens leak? it will ruin our shirts!
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

MembersZone Subscriber F52Westside's Avatar

Da Sharkie isn't it "Ogre"

He was the big dumb football dude, was he not?
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

"Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Originally posted by F52Westside
    Da Sharkie isn't it "Ogre"

He was the big dumb football dude, was he not?
    That is probably how you spell it, and yes that was him. Now you see why I am not throwing up meaning of "v" with the rest of the nerdy math geeks here.

MembersZone Subscriber

that is all the information i have, the questions is in a study guide for a test coming up. I thought the "v" might of stood for a math symbol that i didnt no. thanks for the help though.

Well my thought was that the "v" was substituted for the Square Root Symbol (since there isn't one on the keyboard ) and I got 71.....
    Last edited by firenresq77; 07-26-2005 at 12:51 AM.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Lightbulb Time for a Change in focus?.............

Originally posted by wyr76365
    that is all the information i have, the questions is in a study guide for a test coming up. I thought the "v" might of stood for a math symbol that i didnt no. thanks for the help though.
    By chance, have you thought of moving to English Composition??
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Smile The ANSWER

Quote Originally Posted by wyr76365 View Post
    I have a question on a math problem im trying to figure out. If anyone could explain how to answer it, i would appreciate it.

79+v225-23=??

I have no idea what the "v" stands for.
    v is square root... take the square root of 225, that's why it's in front.. It's not an integer like they are saying.. You'll find that it is 79+15-23=71
    the answer is 71....

I too have this study guide.. and it took me about 10 mins to put two and two together... But I thought that might help you a bit..

Default V is for square root

The v is for sure square root.. I have that same study guide, and this confused me for awhile too... I got done wit the practice test and went back and spent 15 mins just to figure it out... sq root of 225 is 15.. the rest is simple..

The answer is 71.. and that was the correct answer..

Hope that helps..

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by mojosmitty View Post
    The v is for sure square root.. I have that same study guide, and this confused me for awhile too... I got done wit the practice test and went back and spent 15 mins just to figure it out... sq root of 225 is 15.. the rest is simple..

The answer is 71.. and that was the correct answer..

Hope that helps..
    NO NO NO!!!
    Pie are ROUND! CAKE are SQUARE!

And besides, I always thought the answer was "42". Now could someone please pass me another PanGalactic Gargle Blaster? Mines just blown up. heheeheheheehehee
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thread Information