Forum Member

Default Minitor II question

Alrighty folks, I've been experiencing a bit of problems with my Minitor II, and I'm not likely to get a new pager anytime soon.

Lately, whenever my tone goes off, the pager activates as it should with the rapid set of beeps after the alert tone is received. But, the problem is that after it alerts, it goes silent and I can't hear any message from dispatch.

Now, I've also noticed that now that I have my new GSM cell, it's been acting up. I can't imagine why a GSM cellphone would interfere with a VHF pager. I dunno if this is just a coincidence or what, but it's kind of annoying to not know what's going on. I've been caught a few times now going to the station just for test tones...

Anyone have any ideas?

Forum Member

How close to your pager are you keeping your phone (IE clipped on your belt right next to each other?) Even though cell phones don't put out that much power, with them being right next to each other (if they are), there is a chance that the phone can interfere with the pager even though they are on different freq. spectrums. Being an (ex fulltime) electronics guy, I have run into many an interference problem from unlikely sources.
    Do you not hear the transmissions after every page activation? Can you hear transmissions with the pager in monitor mode?
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Forum Member

I used to keep mine charging on the desk close to my computer...had to quit that...it wouldn't alert sitting there. We have one girl who swears that her cell phone sets hers off at times and makes it alert. I dunno...
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

Forum Member

How close to your pager are you keeping your phone (IE clipped on your belt right next to each other?)
    It happens when it's close to my cell phone (IE: Clipped to my belt), and still happens when my cell phone is in my car, and I may be in the grocery store or in my home.

Do you not hear the transmissions after every page activation? Can you hear transmissions with the pager in monitor mode?
    I don't hear any transmissions after my tones go off. For example, if my pager is sitting in alert, it will activate to the tones, but won't give me the message from dispatch. If I'm in monitor, when other department's tones go off, I can hear them message from dispatch just fine.

It just seems that once my tones get set off, the dispatch just doesn't wanna talk to me.

Forum Member

It sounds like there may be a problem with your pager then. The alert may not, for some reason, be tripping your pager into open mode. have you tried switching it to monitor mode right after the tones going off?
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

I haven't tried flipping it from Alert to monitor right after the tones go off, no. I was under the assumption that when a pager receives the tones in "alert" mode, it went to "monitor" anyways.

I'll leave my pager in alert for now, and try that once it goes off.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Co11FireGal
    I used to keep mine charging on the desk close to my computer...had to quit that...it wouldn't alert sitting there. We have one girl who swears that her cell phone sets hers off at times and makes it alert. I dunno...
    When I had a nextel and kept it clipped on the visor, whenever I would talk on the 2-way feature, if the phone was in the right position, it would set the alert off on the pager. Very weird, and I haven't been able to do it with any of my other phones.

Forum Member

It should go into monitor mode once the tones have been tripped, There may be an issue with your pager that, for some reason, it is not "opening up" with the tones.

Forum Member

Is the "other department" transmitter that you can hear closer to you than the your department's transmitter? If so, then this is probably a matter of the pager needing a tune up. There are two levels of signal strength your pager cares about.

There is a signal strong enough to break squelch and be audible for you hear it.

There is a signal strong enough for the pager to decode the tones, but not strong enough to break squelch for you hear it.

The pager can hear what you can't. So, if the signal is weak, it might be just enough for the pager to pick up the tones but not enough to break squelch and you get the message. Does it work better if you go closer to your department's transmitter??
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

It should go into monitor mode once the tones have been tripped, There may be an issue with your pager that, for some reason, it is not "opening up" with the tones.
    But even when it's in monitor it does that. In monitor mode, the only restriction of what audio is played across the speaker is the signal strength, correct?

nmfire,

The departments that I talk about, are on the same towers that my department is on. We share one frequency for around 50 different departments / agencies (all fire /ems/rescue). Two dispatch centers, one having one tower, and the other having three. I can pickup all four towers without any issue, and the clarity is fine at any given time.

I wouldn't think it would be a problem with signal strength, since I can hear all other communications just fine. I have a pretty good line of site to where the transmitter is if I go into my back yard. The tower is a few miles away, but at any given point I can hear dispatch from about 30 miles away from the tower, even with VT's hills and mountains.

Maybe there is no "specific" problem, and it's time for this thing to hit the trash bin...

Forum Member

Mine is sensitive to radio noise. If I'm walk by a computer, it breaks squelch. When I'm near a computer LAN, it freaks out. It opens the squelch when I'm anywhere near 20ft. of my computer routers and switches.

My pager (154.37) would alert when I keyed up my buisness band handheld (154.6).

Not to mention in the spring I pick up 'Voice of America' on it. (birdie?)

Sometimes you just can't explain radio.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cell Phone

Every time my cell phone rings anywhere near my minitor II it sets it off. My phone is GSM also.

Some Guy

When I had Nextel (3 days ago) it would set of my pager. As in the beeps and what not. I was glad that I only had to wear the pager twice a week while off duty.

We have one girl who swears that her cell phone sets hers off at times and makes it alert. I dunno...
    This happen so much I would not even flinch.

...A side note. I work part time for a company that sells Motorola batteries and what to police, fire and the military. All of the minitor II parts except for the batteries have been removed from production. The new Minitor V pagers are out. The battery last for 10 days after a full charge.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

The Minitor V batteries do not last 10 days on a charge. Thats beyond even what the sales literature claims! For what it's worth, the sales literature claims a fully charged batter will last 5 days @ hours per day. People I know that have gotten their V's already are saying that 24 hour usage has been averaging 3-4 days.

Minitor II parts definately becoming few and far between. The company I send our Minitor II's out to for refurbish/repair is feeling it. What used to be a one week turnaround now can take a few weeks to scrounge all the needed parts.

http://www.pagerclinic.com is what I use for Minitor II service and repair.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Thread Information