Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Looking For Recommended Education/Training

I'm in need of some advice, hopefully someone here will be able to assist with. Currenty I am a fulltime FF, having 6years exp., higher education in criminal justice and will soon have an associates in fire science. I am looking into the possiblity of applying for my departments investigation/inspector position when it becomes availble in a year or two. My only concern is that I may not have the required knowledge I should for this position even though I'm very diligent in my self studies of books, and the utilization of the cfitrainer.net and InterfireVR software. I do plan on being certified by my state office to the highest level that I can be. Does anyone have any recommendations on training/courses in the subjects of investigation/inspection? I have yet to really find any classes nearby my location (Louisville KY). Perhaps I'm just a bit worried over nothing at all, I just want to be positive my toolbox is as fully equiped before I begin work, so to speak. Any help would be most appreciated, thanks in advance...

MembersZone Subscriber

If you haven't already, join the KY Chapter of the International Association of Arson Investigators. Also join the IAAI itself. This will be a gateway to a myriad of training, education and networking opportunities.

I would also check out the National Association of Fire Investigators (www.nafi.org) and Fire Findings (www.firefindings.com).

Forum Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I honestly didn't think too many people frequented this forum. THanks for the advice as well, I was under the impression that I wasn't able to join these organizations unless I met certain criteria, ie. my job entailed fulltime investigation. I will certainly look into this. Once again, thanks so very much.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's one I forgot. This is a brochure for the NC/SC IAAI Chapters Joint Seminar. It is at the Crown Reef Resort in Myrtle Beach, SC 10/17-21/05.

http://www.nciaai.com/2005%20Seminar...20Brochure.pdf

This is the single most cost effective fire investigation training seminar anywhere. Registration-$100, Room Rate-approx. $50 per night. It will be worth your while. You'll meet some great people too.

Forum Member

Hey thanks! It just so happens my brother lives down in that area. And yes, I have noticed how expensive some of these classes are, seems to be around $800+ for some of the ones in my area.
    Last edited by firefighter1023; 07-25-2005 at 10:55 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Inspector Training

I'm going to let George give you all the info on investigation training.. though I do believe that NAFI normally hosts it's annual convention and training classes in Richmond, Kentucky.

Regarding inspector training, best training for that is fieldwork.. Ask to spend time with current inspectors, or see if your department will allow you to 'ride-along' with other area fire department inspectors. I have found these 'ride-alongs' to be extremely beneficial, though you normally have to do them on days off. You may also want to study and take the NFPA inspector certification exams. If you, as you said, are diligent regarding self study you will find these courses to be quite instructive, even if your State doesn't use NFPA as fire prevention codes they cover inspector related issues relevant to most all jurisdictions. Follow this link for more information http://www.nfpa.org/categoryList.asp...ion%20programs I have taken and passed both CFI-I & CFI-II and generally thought the program to be well done.

Check with your State Tech colleges about State Inspector Certification..

Good luck
    Last edited by Fawlty; 07-26-2005 at 12:02 PM.

Thread Information