Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Love For The Job?

Hey Guys, after much debate and talking with fellow colleagues I had a few questions I wanted to ask. First, I will give you a little background about myself. I have been in the fire service for only two and a half years. Like most I started out in a combination department as a volunteer. My department sent myself and 5 other guys through a FF1 academy in the fall. By the next spring all 6 of us had been hired by a career department somewhere in Colorado. I still keep in touch with the guys that I went through the academy with. My reason for starting this thread lies in what some of my brotherís feel about their job as a career firefighter. I would say only three of the guys I went through the academy with still truly love their job. What I mean by love for job is kind of hard to explain but, I will give it a shot. I still get goose bumps every time I walk into my firehouse. Every time I hear the federal Q-siren my ears perk up and my attention is completely fixed on that sound. After my four days off I can't wait to go back to work because I have missed it so much. I can't get enough information I am always looking for new and improved ways of doing things. When ever some asks what I do, I still get butterflies in my stomach because I feel so fortunate to be able to do what I do and get paid for it. I think you guys catch my drift about what I mean for love for the job. I guess my question to all of you is, when did you lose the love for the job? When did being a firefighter become just a profession or a paycheck and not something more? From the guys I have talked to and the guys I work with there seems to be 3 general things in life that happen that can steer your passion away from the job. The first one being your personal life, getting married, having kids, making mortgage payments, dealing with in-laws, basically have a more complicated personal life. Second, there seems to be the people that get feed up with the bureaucracy of the fire department, i.e. they don't see eye to eye with the chief, or other higher ranking officials. Lastly, there seems to be the people that just get into a routine while these people still enjoy their job, it has become just that, only a job. I am curious to hear what all of you have to say? I hope age has nothing to do with your passion for the job. My goal in life is to someday 20 years down the road have someone ask me the question; do you still love the job as much as you did when you first started? And without a hesitation I hope to reply "Nope, I love the job even more if thatís possible." Stay safe.

After 22 years, I still love the job. No, I dont get chills when I walk into the house and I dont pay much attention to sirens (unless Im in my POV). I did when I was younger, but now its the brotherhood and the fact that no two days are the same. Something different every shift. It would drive me nuts to have a job where I did the same thing five days a week.

And while I do still look forward to working every third day, I do enjoy my vacation days. I used to carry days over every year, not anymore. Now I use them ALL.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Default 20 +

Still love the job and the people I work with....could stand a little less of the bullscat but other than that I would take the ride again.
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

MembersZone Subscriber

8 yrs here....I still love the job and feel the same way I did when I started... I wouldnt want to do anything else...I was actually unemployed for about a yr 2 yrs ago when I quit at a FD to start contract work and it was the most miserable yr of my adult life....I am glad that happened because it reaffirmed (if thats the right word) my feelings towards the job...On another note I have noticed the same thing about some people I have know..I have a friend that absolutely loved the job when all he ever did was train (in the academy) and run calls...Now that he spends more time around the station washing trucks and doing other daily details he doesnt want to be a FF anymore...all that means is it isn't for everybody...But we already knew that!!!

Stay safe

Default This about sums it up for me. This hangs on my locker door.

"I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work which the fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling. There is an adage which says that, 'nothing can be destroyed except by fire.' We strive to preserve from destruction the wealth of the world, which is the product of the industry of men, necessary for the comfort of both the rich and the poor. We are defenders from fires of the art which has beautified the world, the product of the genius of men and the means of refinement of mankind. But, above all, our proudest moment is to save lives of men- the work of God Himself. Under the impulse of such thoughts, the nobility of the occupation thrills us and stimulates us to deeds of daring, even at the supreme sacrifice. Such considerations may not strike the average mind, but they are sufficient to fill to the limit our ambition in life and to make us serve the general purpose of human society."

Edward F. Croker, Chief of Department, 1899-1911
    F.D.N.Y.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Been at this for 11 years. Love the job. Enjoy working a busy house. Enjoy having something different every time I come to work.
    Enjoy the brotherhood. Don't get chills from the sirens and not as excited about things as when I was a rookie.

This is a wonderful proffesion. I can't imagine a job that is more rewarding and where you can positively affect people in their time of need. There is endless room for inovation and growth at this point in time.

Love it and don't see myself getting tired of it.

Forum Member

Default It's Job like no other !!!

July 26th. 2003 was a great day for me. I got the call informing me I was hired onto a department. I had been involved as a Volunteer for 16 years and had tested, applied, and tested some more and finally got my call.

I work for a Combination Department {Mainly Volunteer - there is six of us Career Personnel} and our Main responsibility is staffing the Ambulance but we do man the apparatus as drivers, firefighters, and officers. Everyday {or night i should say I'm assigned to the B/C night tour as the duty EMT/Firefighter} is never the same and and is a job like no other - Sure there is alot of B.S. especially working for a volunteer department because everything no matter how minor is a big deal but over-all I work for a great company. - We're takin care of VERY well as far as benifits, and the like...Salary isn't great but it isn't bad either. I wouldn't do anything else and I'm sorry I didn't get into this as a career sooner

Thread Information