Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default new and dont know what to do.

becomeing a firefighter has been a dream of mine. until recently i have never had any money to go to school and do that dream, ive just been working this dead end job and im miserable. i want to go into training and finally start what ive always wanted to do. i need some help getting started. i am going to be signing up for classes this week in fire science and im just looking for some advice on how to become a firefighter in the state of illinois.

thanks!

Where are you located? Volunteer somewhere my man (or woman) if you can! Lot of free training, experience, and all of the rewards that come with community service.

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Are you related to the governor?
    Did you donate to his campaign?
    Are you close to Chicago?
    Is any of this helping?
    You might want to contact Dave Clark at the Illinois Fire Service Institute. He is the director for academic affairs. He might be able to get you headed in the right direction.
    Getting on a volunteer fire department will certainly give you some valuable experience, but honestly; I don't know that it will help, hurt or make no difference in you getting a full time gig at some point.
    A fire science degree is great, if you intend to go into administration, but state certifications in FF II, hazmat, trench rescue, ropes, vehicle extrication, etc. will get you closer to your dream.
    Good luck. Illinois has a great fire service.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Last I knew to certify in anything with OSFM, you needed to be with a department. Is this correct? If so a volunteer group can be a real asset to be with.

I know once you make your year (which we'll give you your FFII in that year), my department will pay for any state certification you could want, any fire science class offered at the community college, find grants/scholarships to pay for your gen eds for a fire science degree, and we'll pay for your EMT-B. A lot of that stuff can get you a real head start on a career department.

Besides, it may be your dream now - but maybe once you're in a pack and freak out, or see someone croak and you won't ever do that again - that's a lot of dollars and time spent on some education you just wasted if you don't like it. Get a feel for it (for free) with a volunteer or paid on call outfit.

i live in a small town about an hour away from chicago called ottawa.

im not sure about volunteer departments around here. i dont have any experience im starting completly dry here. haha.

i want to start somewhere though. just dont know where. i figured i would take some classes, get some knowlege and see if its what i want to do.

Ottawa is career, but I'd be willing to bet everywhere else around there needs volunteers. Are you close to any stations that aren't Ottawa's?

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Ottawa? Isn't that the capitol of Canada? Kidding....

Last I knew to certify in anything with OSFM, you needed to be with a department. Is this correct?
    Yup.

I thought Ottawa had POCs? I would definately start there. Many departments will test you without having any experience at all. Aurora is one of these. Also, check around with all the neighboring districts. Some take volunteers even if you don't live in their town (we don't).

Some departments require you to be FFII certified and EMT-B or Paramedic just to test.

Call the FD and ask if they have a POC or volunteer program. Don't worry if you get a bunch of "No's;" all it will take is one "Yes."
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

Ottawa is paid, dont know about POC. Where you going to do fire science classes at? I'm going to be attending College of DuPage this fall, in fact i am registering for classes tommorrow (7-26-05). I know a guy from Ottawa that is a IFSI instructor and he is good at it. I'm sure like marsielles (sp?), Utica, Seneca, Grand Ridge, Naplate, the list goes on, would be happy to have another volunteer. I'm not too far from ottawa my company is always in ottawa serving our customers.
    Last edited by firefighterox; 07-25-2005 at 07:26 PM.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Ottawa:
    Home to Starved Rock Harley Davidson. One of Illinois' top dealerships.
    Put a mark in the "plus" column!
    npfd; you are correct. You have to be ON a fire department in order to get certified.
    How else would the practicals be witnessed and approved?
    My point was; after you get on a full time department, you would be at fire academy regardless. And if it is a ff/EMT-P department, more time would be spent at academy.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Btw

If you do test for Aurora, which should be coming up. When the apps are available GET THERE EARLY, and have your info ready. I've heard it's literally a race!

If you do test for Aurora, which should be coming up. When the apps are available GET THERE EARLY, and have your info ready. I've heard it's literally a race!
    Yup. After several years of handing out over 500 applications, they started limiting it to the first 350. Some guys get in line the night before, like trying to get concert tickets (or White Sox tickets..... Oh, wait, not that. SORRY MIKEY!!!! )
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Dont be sorry Jay. Just look at the standings
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by ChiefReason
    [BMy point was; after you get on a full time department, you would be at fire academy regardless. And if it is a ff/EMT-P department, more time would be spent at academy.
    CR [/B]

Depends on the fire department. Alot of fire departments just do a inhouse orientation if you are already certified FF2.

Dont be sorry Jay. Just look at the standings
    I can't. It makes me woosey.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

im accually taking classes at joliet junior college. ive been trying to get a hold of the person in charge of the program there but i havnt yet.

i was also told to just go to my local firehouse and ask about volunteering. i plan on doing that.

Originally posted by firefighterox
    Ottawa is paid, dont know about POC. Where you going to do fire science classes at? I'm going to be attending College of DuPage this fall, in fact i am registering for classes tommorrow (7-26-05). I know a guy from Ottawa that is a IFSI instructor and he is good at it. I'm sure like marsielles (sp?), Utica, Seneca, Grand Ridge, Naplate, the list goes on, would be happy to have another volunteer. I'm not too far from ottawa my company is always in ottawa serving our customers.
    i was thiking about going to some of those places and finding out more information.

oh and ive also been told you dont need experience to be a volunteer. that if you just go ask about it they will head you in the right direction. i am enrolling in classes because i do want to learn as much as possible. ive been told they will most likely ask me to take classes.

anything else i should know?

i also do know there will be a physical and a background check. im not worried about them.

plus the staying in shape thing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile A little primer on ems

Check out the link to see about the ems side. It's pretty good

http://www.emsmagazine.com/careercen...ticle0006.html

Is it just me, or is there more than one person from Ottawa?

Coincidence?

[edit] Nevermind. Two threads by the same guy about the same thing.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Thread Information