Forum Member

Default How much would becoming an EMT-B help in the hiring process and Paramedic School

Just curious, here in Los Angeles EMT's get paid about $8/hr. and I honestly don't want to take a job paying that low.

I am worried though, is it a must though to do? I'm truly hoping not, but how much does working as an EMT help out if any in becoming a medic/ff.

I understand there's some experience to be gained from being and EMT... but come on, $8/hr? Secretaries get paid more than this, it's kind of ridiculous.

Forum Member

I've already taken the class for my EMT-B and just waiting to take the national registry by the way

Forum Member

if ur worried about how much ur getting paid why want to do this type of work in the first place????

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking You need EMT anyways

Well I dont know where your located at but in my part of the Country, you need to be a Certified EMT-Basic at least one full year before going to Paramedic school. Just food for thought.
    Front line since 1983 and still going strong

MembersZone Subscriber

Default agreed

I agree with Firefighter2230!!!! If the pay is what you look at then look into rocket science!!!! If this is something you truly want to do, then its something you have to do.

"You have to do the things you dont want to do, before you can do things you really want to do." Unknown

MembersZone Subscriber

I disagree with both of you. If the money was not important, why don't you just volunteer and not have a seperate career? Oh, right, you need to pay bills and buy food. Well, $8 an hour in CA doesn't pay many bills. Let's be honest here. When considering a career, unless you are a nun, the pay was a definite consideration. Even if you didn't need a lot of money (teachers, firefighters, etc.), you still need some. There was a minimum of pay you established in your mind whether consciously or not, and the compensation exceeded it. In his case, $8/hour is below the minimum he is willing to accept.

Also, what if he has a family? Taking an $8/hour job and trying to raise a family would be extremely tough.

Give the guy a break.

Eric

MembersZone Subscriber

I did what you are thinking of. If you do not work anywhere as a EMT-B before I started EMT-P School. You might find school alittle bit harder if you aren't working. I did not work as a Basic in the DFW area, and some of my classmates did. If you are willing to put in some extra studying time and practice your skills alot it will become easier. Remember that your basic skills are very important and don't stop practicing them also. It can be done. Also, try volunteering somewhere. You can get some experience, and be able to fit it into your schedule.
    Adam

MembersZone Subscriber

As a matter of fact I do volunteer. But, I know that is something that I need to do so I can better my career. I dont want to go into paramedic program and look like a complete idiot. The experience gained from riding with the EMS is something everyone should have to do before steping foot into a paramedic class. I'm not saying that everyone should drop the job they have now and do EMS. But also, if EMS is the route a person wants to take there is going to be sacrifices that have to be made. These sacrifices are just like any other job that anyone just starts out with. You are always going to start low man on the totem pole no matter what. If you can except that then there should be no problem.........

Forum Member

Originally posted by Firefighter2230
    if ur worried about how much ur getting paid why want to do this type of work in the first place????
    Thanks for the replies, I do understand about being low man, but I can't survive on $8/hr. I have a family and a house. My mortgage alone is $2700/mo. An $8/hr job would not even pay 1/2 my house payment.

Why do I want to do this type of work in the first place? That's a pretty stupid question, because it's something I love to do but love don't pay bills. Grow up.

FossilMedic

Unregistered:

Generally speaking a municipal firefighter candidate who already is a National Registry Paramedic benefits from preferential (and in many cases accelerated) consideration.

I am not that familiar with the LAFD process - you need to contact recruitment to get the straight scoop.

Good luck

Forum Member

Thank you, guess i will just have to suck it up and do what's needed to proceed on.

Forum Member

So then if love don't pay the bills why not take 10 years of your life become a doctor and be set for the rest of your life. And I see where eric is coming from and agree with him.

And what if you can't find anything better the $8 an hour then what????

Forum Member

So then if love don't pay the bills why not take 10 years of your life become a doctor and be set for the rest of your life. And I see where eric is coming from and agree with him.

And what if you can't find anything better the $8 an hour then what????
    Then what... I don't know but you can have a nice big glass of SHUT THE F*CK UP.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Unregistered

Then what... I don't know but you can have a nice big glass of SHUT THE F*CK UP.
    there's no need for the language i'm just askin what if you can't find anything that pays better then what are you going to do?

Forum Member

there's no need for the language i'm just askin what if you can't find anything that pays better then what are you going to do?
    You’ve taken a very condescending and patronizing attitude in this thread and your comments are just childish.

My initial question was just asking how much does becoming an EMT help out in becoming a Firefighter – Let me go to an Rx forum and suggest all the Pre Med student enroll in Fire Academy “Hey doc, you can’t handle the internship and all the stress? Become a Fireman!”

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down wow

If anything was childish it was what you said about the glass man.... If you dont want somebody's opinion then you shouldnt ask it. Being a Paramedic/Firefighter you will need professionalism and you aparently dont have that much. If you make comments like that to someone that is just trying to make you see the facts of the job then maybe look into something else.

Forum Member

Default Re: wow

Originally posted by Smithkd99
    If anything was childish it was what you said about the glass man.... If you dont want somebody's opinion then you shouldnt ask it. Being a Paramedic/Firefighter you will need professionalism and you aparently dont have that much. If you make comments like that to someone that is just trying to make you see the facts of the job then maybe look into something else.
    I think you need a big glass of STFU too.

Trying to make me see the facts of the job?!?! What facts? The idiot told me to look into another job if I don't like beint paid $8/hr, what kind of moronic advice is that? Maybe if I lived at home with mommy and daddy and had them paying my tuition, house, food, and all i had to worry about was finding beer money like you guys I'd be ok with the pay.

Don't give me that crap because if ther FF service didn't pay what it did 90% of you wouldn't be here trying to become a FF.

Forum Member

As far as I know allmost everywhere u have to be an EMT-B to become a Paramedic, Here in Arizona u have to be WORKING as an EMT for 1 year before u can get into Medic school....which I totally agree with!! You need all the experince you can get b 4 u advance... HEY unregistered come over here we will give u ALL the experince u need.....

PEACE OUT!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down yup

I know from your post that I am more of a man then you will ever be. Grow up man!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by EricCSU
    I disagree with both of you. If the money was not important, why don't you just volunteer and not have a seperate career? Oh, right, you need to pay bills and buy food. Well, $8 an hour in CA doesn't pay many bills. Let's be honest here. When considering a career, unless you are a nun, the pay was a definite consideration. Even if you didn't need a lot of money (teachers, firefighters, etc.), you still need some. There was a minimum of pay you established in your mind whether consciously or not, and the compensation exceeded it. In his case, $8/hour is below the minimum he is willing to accept.

Also, what if he has a family? Taking an $8/hour job and trying to raise a family would be extremely tough.

Give the guy a break.

Eric
    Well said, EricCSU.
    Unregistered is still and A-hole though.
    KC
    "PHILIPPEANS 4:13"

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

But the secretary only works 40 hours a week. Whereas I can work up to 168 hours a week if I wanted to.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by prymtym
    Well said, EricCSU.
    Unregistered is still and A-hole though.
    KC
    Oh I'm not going to deny it - I am an ase-hole.

Thanks for everyones input though, I really do appreciate it. Facts are facts, I'm not trying to sugar coat anything. I have a family to raise and bills to pay.

MembersZone Subscriber

The bottom line is this ... if you want to dramatically increase your chances of becoming a firefighter become an EMT then a Paramedic. It will get you more extra points on the exam than a college degree.

A college degree is great but if it doesn't get you the extra points on the exam then it's worthless. Especially if you are taking exams in the midwest and east coast.

Brent Collins is Assistant Fire Chief, Cleveland Fire Department and President of Don McNea Fire School. Visit his website www.fireprep.com for more information on test taking strategy and advice.

You can find more on testing secrets by Chief Collins in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.

MembersZone Subscriber

Being able to pay your bills and support your family are job one. I have never met a homeless firefighter/medic.

Thread Information