Forum Member

Default Atten. BONES 42 or someone with Explorer Program Knowledge for NJ

Hey got a question for you.

I know to be classed as a Junior Firefighter you must be 16 years of age. But to be an Explorer Firefighter(Cadet) ages 14-15 doesn't the Department need the Explorer Program so that the 14-15 year olds are insured on the trucks? There's a comapny in my area that runs 14 year olds and hence, I came to find they aren't insured to ride the apparatus and the last thing we need is a kid getting injured because they get off the apparatus incorrectly or some other thingalso they class their 14 year olds as Juniors which I'm told is not permitted and one of their line officers asked to find out some more information.
    Last edited by EngCo29; 07-25-2005 at 12:34 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

send me an email - my dept has an explorer post. info you are getting is correct - you must be registered with Learning For Life - an arm of Boy Scouts of America...www.learning-for-life.org

our post is 6 years old and going strong

Forum Member

Also I found out, when i was 15, my chief told me I cannot ride the apparatus because something happened to an explorer firefighter that year, I was a little upset but didn't make it an issue, but that issue is still in effect in New Jersey and as I'm told the explorers still cannot ride the apparatus because the Scouts won't insure them because they believe it's too dangerous to ride the apparatus.
    Last edited by EngCo29; 07-25-2005 at 12:44 PM.

Forum Member

Explorer's can ride on apparatus. They can't drive and they must be seated and belted. Departments can (and have) create their own "cadet" program which can be anyone under 18. It is up to that department to provide any insurance coverage, whether it be from the department itself of the town it covers. For Workers Comp coverage, you would have to meet/exceed all PEOSHA standards. Cadet programs do not have to be affiliated with BSA/Learning for Life. Now, if you want to go to the State level, FF1 is the minimum level the state recognizes, and that starts at 18. Any age under is not recognized by the State as a firefighter.

So, in short, your department (or the other) can have younger persons, but they will need to provide their own insurance for coverage on injuries and they still have to allow for OSHA.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Well, that answered my question thanks Bones42

BTW, we're you or someone you know interested in our Mack or just asking?

Forum Member

Hey Bones42 did you get my last reply?

Forum Member

More of a curiousity. I know a guy who recently purchased an old aerial. He was looking for an engine also, but not at that cost. Tanx for the info.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

ok, in NC at least an explorer post is for people who are 13 1/2 to 21 years old. (even though you can be a firefighter at 18) that covers all insurence through the BSOA for rideing calls, or for people 16-18 departments can fork out about $500 for insurence and it is taken care of. Or your department can make a liabilty sheet which must be kept on file and cleared through the person who is rideing parent's insurence.

Thread Information