Forum Member

Default 7-29-05 awards likely

well after a very long day of phone calls and dealing with major computer crashes. i have heard from our congressman who had no ideal that the awards were being held up..finally talked to some people at DHS. who in returned told him that they are shooting for this friday to start announcing awards. so if this is true the rest should start to fall in place. more questions and 1199a's are expected to come this week so for those of us still waiting. it seems that things are begining to roll again..i hope that this holds true..good luck to all..

MembersZone Subscriber

Let us hope that your sources are correct and not just trying to "placate" everyone. They did say they would start in July and they only have this Friday left to fulfill that statement.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Lets hope... but I don't think NOFA is complete!

7Peaks

MembersZone Subscriber

I polled my congressional reps and the concensus is the same with them as well, NO GO FOR FRIDAY! The NOFA is till in OMB and willbe till next week at soonest. Looks like August 12th.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

yep got same news today also..congressman's office called back today to say that the friday date was a no go...well all i guess it will be the whole year thing again..well lets shoot for the august date and hope its sooner..

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

That all sounds about right (August time-frame) since it's almost 6 and no DHS e-mails to Congressional offices...
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Forum Member

Wink

I have been checking the Grant forums and have not said much but I have to let everyone know what the latest is that I have heard.

From the hill--- The ledg. that would free up the money to DHS is in committee and may be done today or tomorrow since they are breaking for recess soon. Lets Pray...

DHS Fire Act Peers (GODS) are also behind so when the money flows my guess it would take atleast a week for them to overcome the shock. I agree that the first couple rounds are going to be alot of awards. They did send out more questions and 1199A's this week.

They say this is fun????? Good Luck...

Forum Member

Got More....

Also got word that their email is not working well when sending a message. Press send and they are saying it will get there but will not show it sent on show up in your box.

If you just got questions and 1199A recently then it looks like you will still be a couple weeks away from an award. They are just backed up.

REMEMBER-- No awards unless this ledgislation is PASSED.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Firemoney - the legislation authorizing the funds has already been passed for the 2005 AFG, last year in fact. The money is caught in red tape in the Office of Management and Budgets, not a congressional committee. Until OMB signs a Notice of Funds Availability, the AFG "bank account" is locked and no withdrawals are possible. That's what the holdup is.

Anything coming out of Congress concerning AFG is the 2006 program.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exactly Brian!
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Hopefully they'll get their act together or find a pen with ink in it and get the $#%@ thing signed. I just had a firefighter turn an ankle because of the poor condition of his boots. Boots that would have been replaced with new ones if they awarded money like they did in previous years. If in the very off-chance that the powers that be are reading this, for the sake of safety, process what you need to and get on with it already before someone is seriously hurt.

Forum Member

I think that all of us would agree that the grants need to move along and should not be held up needlessly. However, we should not be using the lack of approval of these grants as an excuse for letting safety issues go uncorrected.

I think many of us are very appreciative of the monies we have received over the last several years and perhaps there are many who got things updated that could not have done so previosuly. But once again, let's not forget to be safe and take care of your people for the sake of approval of a grant.

PPE is expenseive and it is not easy to go any outfit everyone perhaps at the same time without grant money. But we cannot let men and women enter burning buildings without being properly protected; we cannot let men and women be trying to help others if they cannot take care of themselves.

As officers and chiefs of departments we have responsibility first to ourselves and our members. Do what you have to do to make them safe and if that means you must do another BBQ or go to your local government body to beg for money, then you must do that.

Don't use these grant programs as an excuse for poor management of safety procedures and practices.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default AMEN

Leatherhead5:

AMEN brother! I know our agency is in need of our grant money but I had to deplete my PPE account to make sure everyone had what they needed to operate safely. I have "Traded" stuff to make sure I got what sizes I needed and to get what I needed to make due until the grants are awarded. I have traded bigger sized coats for boots that I needed and the others needed the coat. Especially in a volunteer setting deciding that the surrounding agencies need to get along and trying to help each other out to make it all safe for EVERYONE is a must. Don't put yourself in a position where you are sitting in court and telling a jury the reason you did not buy Johnny new boots is that the AFG program didn't start their awards on time. It is still YOUR responsibility to make sure the equipment meets minimum standards to allow it's use. If not you are in trouble.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey, guys, this may not be the best thread for my reply, but since the topic came up, one inexpensive solution to the boots, since it was mentioned above, I noticed at the Baltimore Fire Expo. The great organization Helping our Own had a Booth and was selling compliant boots for a VERY inexpensive price (like am thinking $35 bucks, can anyone else confirm, that was there...I wasn't paying much attention, was talking to them about volunteering. Sorry!)

The $ goes back to help them help other departments get MUCH needed supplies such as SCBA and other gear and you get a great price on NEW boots to help your guys. Not trying to solicit...just saying since it's a non-profit and they were at the Expo, a win-win situation. Check it out. Maybe it can tide ya over til the wave of funding rides in...

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Back up a second...

Lest anyone get the wrong impression, the guy was not wearing boots six sizes too big, wrapped in layers of duct tape. They were his size, but hand-me-downs. All I was trying to say is that perhaps with new boots, the injury wouldn't have happened; at no time was safety compromised.

Perhaps it was out of frustration that I posted what I did, and sorry if you got the worng impression. However one has to wonder what the hold up is, when for three years prior this program has run very efficiently.

MembersZone Subscriber

Why stress here folks? It will happen and dleays are always inevitable. You will probabaly have delays from the manufacturer or supplier of your equipment when you order it, if you really think about it, so what else is new. I hope you remembered to "document" that injury for use on your next AFGP application though.
    Anyone care to place odds on an Aug 12th announcemnt?
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

AMEN!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Whats in the Crystal Ball for this week>

Well, what's the crystal ball predicting for funding this week? I've had one of our vendors call today and say he's heard the first award should be this week. Does he have the inside track or just listening to rumors?

MembersZone Subscriber

I will still stand by my predication of the 12th. Nothing I have seen or heard so far would indicate otherwise, and there should have been some rumblings from within, if the volcanoe was about to blow!
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info, guess I don't need to call one of my Chiefs in from out of town? LOL...

MembersZone Subscriber

Any news on the NOFA?

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Last word I had was that everything was on schedule for next Friday.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780
    Last word I had was that everything was on schedule for next Friday.
    Hmmm.. time to sharpen the pencils.....

Forum Member

I hope so!
    I had planned on having the bids in and something ordered by now!

Good things come to those who wait, I hope
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm willing to bet that prices get better once the grants are officially announced.

Thread Information