Forum Member

Default BSFFWife

How true

I would like to know who he works for, because funny enough, WSI is the largest contract firefighting organization in the WORLD, and maybe he will be the one who comes looking for a job! Of course that won't be until all of the hardest work is done getting Iraq started up.
    Another point to be made is that most of the people that I have heard moaning and groaning are guess what???? That's right guys who have come from other contract jobs that they quit to come over here.

Go figure

MembersZone Subscriber

Default WSI Issues

To all of those who are whining (as some may call it) about WSI in Iraq. For one thing, when I signed up to come over here for 1 year, I did know what I was getting myself into. This was a decision that affected everyone, not just me, but most of all my family. For those who think that it was easy to leave, you are wrong. Do I regret my decision to come over here, sometimes when I talk with my children and they tell me about their ballgames or recitals that I have missed. The money is wonderful and the conditions aren't the best in the world, but I signed up for this. Now for the ones that say everyone is complaining, asking when the gear is coming so you can do your job safely, that is not whining or complaining. That is a FF wanting to do his/her job safely.

Yes, alot of us are here for the money. I came over here for the opportunity for an adventure and also to get some certifications that is almost impossible to recieve where I live.

WSI has issues here and back in the states, if you don't believe me, just take a look at eyeonwackenhut.com and you can see that they have problems in the states as well. So for those who are desiring what has been promised to them to do their job safely, I tip my hat off to you. I don't know if things will get better, but remember that all of us that are here, it was your own choice. There are many things that I disagree with that goes on over here, but I don't let it bother me. Just remember that when it is time for your letter of returning for a 2nd year, think of everything that has went on for the last year and make that decision with your family.

I welcome any comments on the above mentioned.

God Bless all of the Firefighters here in Iraq.

Forum Member

Default Geez....

You guys must be reading someone elses post or reading my "parts" of my post and then making a conclusion. Theres alot of truth to your words. Did i say i would not accept someone because of the posts? I said it come to mind, and i think about it. Geez.....

Forum Member

GEEZ???

You are saying that anyone that works for WSI in Iraq has a reputation just because of what a handfull of people post. Right? Help me out here. I'm still trying to figure this company out that you work for.
    Last edited by BSFFwife; 07-30-2005 at 12:45 PM.

Forum Member

You guys are off the chain.......

Read what the guy is saying here.......NO not everyone is going to be looked upon like that, but it will raise questions. And you guys say the whiners are bad. GEEESH........

As far as the biggest fire contract compnay in the world, well if all it takes is to hire 534 people and put the word firefighter in front of it, then I should try it. I have no clue about the biggest in the world, but I caan say that I have worked with volunteer departments that are way better than this place is operated. I come from a REAL department where we FIGHT fire, have real equipment to work with, and where gear is issued when you arrive for work on your first day. Not only that, but have officers that are a.) qualified to be there through their certs, or b.) have been with tht e department so long that they have earned we normal firefighters call "TOTJ", time on the job. Not one of the persons representing this depart. of it's admin have either. Speaking from experience from both a REAL depart. and thhis mickey mouse show over here, I would never leave another REAL department again for this oor any other contract.
    And for those of you who thin it is a select few, might want to think again. Just mainly those of us who have a little time in over here post. As well the gear thing, if only a hand full of people are MISSING GEAR, then why did a memo come down last week to SHARE GEAR so everyone can gain 16 hrs and have the oppurtunity to do equal work on the engines and such!!! Like I said, about 70% of our personnel are without grear.
    As far as some people coming back, in an email that I recieved today from a friend that does not want to come back but is, because he could not find something to fit his new "lifestyle" That is the catch folks, WSI pays you this money to spend it and get used to having it in your pocket or getting anything you want when you want it. Not to mention some people have to get the benis and such as well. I simply told him to get a new "lifstyle". As I have said before and will say till the day I die, I sold one year of my life to the devil, I will never do it again nor will most other people.
    No matter what anyone says, THESE ARE THE TRUTHS ABOUT what is going on over here. People are being forced to travel through a "death trap" just to fill out a couple sheets of paper. The do not greese yo before you get here, but they want to greese you before you leave. In a know website, the lead terrorist has said that the airport is his prime target, that does not seem to matter to our folks that do not have to travel outside of HQ on a regular basis, or they just get the ole, never get shot down mil ride!!!!
    Another thing, how many of you would consider child birth, abuse of a child noted by police, family memeber hospitalised, and so on a family emergency? What would you do if you were told no and not given a reason? Happens all the time here...........

Pickheadaxe

Forum Member

Default How many days is a couple

Pick,
    I disagree

Forum Member

Default I'll make this as simple as possible...

BSFFWife...

P E R C E P T I O N-does not have to be the truth or fact, its a human characteristic.

Like i said before, it sucks, its not fair but its life.

Scenerio, it happens in movies and real life: You have someone arrested and tried for a crime. He is aquitted. But, you know what, because of some of our human qualities, most people will never forget and always wonder, did he do it? Many will beleive he had a good lawyer and simply got off. It sucks, but its a part of being human. We can get ****ed about it, but what are we getting ****ed about, the perception or the person that mentioned the perception.

Or, we can do this...stand straight as possible, concantrate, bring all your strength to bear and slam your head into the sand as hard and fast as possible....That way you can't hear or see anything, so no problems. Take your pick.

Forum Member

Default Other middle east Fire departments...

For you guys info...

WSI Iraq is not the only Middle East Fire Contractor. Lets see..

1.Turkey-KBR (partnered with Vinnel I belive)
    2.Qatar-ITT
    Kuwait-CSA
    3.Bahrain-PAE Group-Middle East Fire Academy for Iraq Firefighters (and one DOD Fire Chief position)
    4.Saudi-Vinnel
    5.Uzbekisatan-KBR
    6.Afhganistan-KBR
    7.Egypt-AECOM (and one of its partners)

Its a big world. WSI simply did the biggest advertising campaign. The other contacts are mostly insider information because there are usually no problems getting qualified and certified people. Its understandable why any contract in Iraq would have trouble compared to the above.

MembersZone Subscriber

Turnout733,

I appreciate the time you took to list all of the other Fire Service Contractors that there are over in the Middle East.

I have heard others that have come from other contract Fire Fighting jobs and most have said that things here are different and could be better. I agree that they could be a whole lot better, but when you don't see any attempt other than words, it gets very frustrating. I still don't think that is whining, but we have the right to disagree.

I have a while to go with my contract and I will finish it out, I am hoping to get some gear soon, but if I don't then I just wait longer. It is not worth getting all upset about something that I cannot change. The ones that are more outspoken than others, they are being heard. The contract is still up in the air, even though it was suppose to be signed by the end of May. We will get through everything that is happening over here eventually.

BSFFWife, I think that we have talked before. Does it stand for Berrien Springs? Oronoko? Let me know.

Mr Blom, good seeing you on the forums.

Pickhead, relax man, your close to going home, don't rock the boat for all of us that still have alot of time left. Watch out for the twinkie man...

Forum Member

Default No problem

I never heard of half of these places till i arrive in the Middle east. Once you are aorund for a while, get your certifications alot of doors start opening up.

make your goal, look at it and don't let other peoples gripes pull you from that. I'm sure it sucks there but it will end, everyone can move on to bigger and better things. But whats going on can hurt alot of people.

The Kuwait, Turkey and Qatar contracts are pretty normal fire service contracts. Laid back countries, but with good tax free pay. Bahrai(PAE Group) has a contract where they train Iraqi firefighters who are sent over, then they return to Iraq. The contract in Egypt i hear has low pay compared to the rest of the Middle East because its in a nice place and they have zero problems recruiting. Saudi, well saudi is not a place i would want to go but the pay is comparable to the other contracts.

Most of the other middle east conatrcts go like this:

Expect to work 48-72 hours a week, $55k-65k a year tax free, housing and transportation paid, 2 plane tickets a year paid. Thats about the normal range for a firefighter. Its goes up with promotion of course.

www.dodfire.com usually has jobs posted.

MembersZone Subscriber

Post RE: No problem

Turnout,

All of those listed in one of your replies is on the DOD site?

I plan on hanging in there until the end. I agree that some can make it bad for others that are already here or put bad images in others heads before they arrive. The only thing that I can say is you have to be here to understand what is happening and what isn't. So it is up to yourself to make it whatever you want it to be, it can be an adventure or you can make it miserable for yourself and everyone else. This base isn't bad, we have issues that I am sure others are having as well. But as I said earlier, make it what you want it to be. I guess decide if the battle is worth fighting or is it something that can be won?

I am heading home very soon on a R&R and can't wait to see my family. It is very important to have the full support of your family or it will be very hard to be here.

Are you at any base here or have you been at any of the other Fire Contract service jobs overseas?

Thanks for the reply
    Last edited by ffdave05; 07-31-2005 at 11:12 AM.

Forum Member

Dave ~ You have it right. Hope you are doing ok. Enjoy your R&R with you family. I will be meeting Todd out of the Country his next R&R. He still says he will do another year. Time will tell. Be safe. Lori

MembersZone Subscriber

Default bsffwife

I thought that was you Lori, but wasn't sure. Todd already had his 1st R&R didn't he? Things are fine here, just really hot as expected. I normally don't post in here, but I felt that it was needed. You understand that everything isn't rosy over here, but you remember where Todd was at back in the states.

I remember Todd saying that he was going to be doing more than 1 year, wow. Where did he end up after what happened to his last base. You can email me if you don't want to post it here. I haven't heard from him in a while.

Thanks for supporting us over here.
    Last edited by ffdave05; 07-31-2005 at 02:39 PM.

Forum Member

Dave ~ Sent you an email. Lori

MembersZone Subscriber

Default wsilawsuit@firehousemail.com

Fired fireman sues defense contractor
    Man says he was assaulted before he was dismissed
    By Bill Myers
    Examiner Staff Writer
    Published: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 11:22 PM EST
    E-mail this story | Print this page

Gary Lovett, a former D.C. firefighter, claims he was fired from his contracting job after being attacked by his supervisor in Iraq. Jay Westcott/Examiner
    When the Sept. 11 attacks came, D.C. firefighter Gary Lovett says he "got Pearl Harbor syndrome." He left the District after a 23-year career and shipped off, first to Saudi Arabia, then to Afghanistan and then to Iraq, to "do my thing for God and country."

But he says his willingness to take up the fireman's burden met sloth and heathen folly - and his hopes were brought to naught - when his boss assaulted him and then had him fired.

Last week, Lovett, 51, of Rockville, filed a six-figure breach-of-contract suit in D.C. Superior Court against the boss and Wackenhut Services Inc., the defense contractor that initially had hired him.

The hard-talking, hard-living Lovett says he was doing good work for the Marines in Fallujah. But he says that his supervisor - who "wasn't cut out for the job" and was "under enormous undue pressure" - "wigged out" in separate confrontations over training and procedure.

In the second confrontation, Lovett claims the boss grabbed him by the collar and slammed him into a trailer.

"Now I'm not saying I'm the most efficient manager in the world. I've got foibles - ask my wife. But [Wackenhut officials] had their kangaroo court and they found that I was guilty," Lovett said.

Lovett says he's been unable to find work since his firing last March.

His lawyer, Adele L. Abrams, said the suit should serve as a whiff of grapeshot for scheming defense contractors.

"These contractors are out there exploiting the people they bring over - who put themselves on the line," Abrams said.

Wackenhut CEO James L. Long called Lovett's claims "ridiculous."

"I have 550 people over there and you're welcome to call all of them and you'll get 550 people telling you that it's the most absurd thing they've ever heard," he

said.

SEEKING RETRIBUTION

- The suit seeks $10,000 in "actual" damages - back wages, bonuses and the contents of a foot locker allegedly kept by the company.

- It seeks an additional $300,000 in punitive damages.

- Wackenhut's Iraq contract is worth about $80 million.

MembersZone Subscriber

do you all have nothing better to do then argue over what should be posted that is why i bet you are all just nozle men lets grow up and have some damn respect for the guys over seas and let them post what they want.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink Problems, perceptions, and just plain childishness

ff

Okay, I have read through all the postings up to now......I am going to stick out my neck for ya'll to cut off, but here goes...

Does WSI have problems? Hell yes. But what department back home doesn't. I have been in the fire service for 22 years now. I have served all three gambits, volly, part-time and full-time. EVERY department had it good and bad, whiners and criers, troublemakers and yes, HORRIBLE leadership. But the main thing was to make do and do something about it. Here in Iraq, that is what some of us are trying to accomplish. Taking the leadership classes to get the promotions so that we can do the right thing for the guys, the right way, and just toe the company line.

Is WSI getting any better? Not to slam my own company, but that is the only way it can go. Just like any fire department at home.....this is a multi million dollar BUSINESS. Our departments stateside are just the same, BUSINESSES. Anyone out there that has been around when departments start up, new stations and equipment are brought in, there are problems.

Did they hire correctly? HELL NO. How can say that they hired correctly when you have 19 year olds over here. What happened to the 3 years experiance. I'm sorry but Explorer time does not count. Certs are just paper. We have all heard and even seen the fake cards and certs that people have. I agree with the earlier post....TOTJ. It does take experiance, honesty, but above all, MATURITY.

Money? DUH !! I came here for it, and if anyone out there says differant your lying. Yes, it is to pay off debts, aid in my daughters college fund, and buy me a few extra cold ones!

All I'm trying to say, is WE make it what it is. I am a combat firefighter. I am serving my country by providing the fire protection, inspections and sitting on my *** time so that the soldiers can be freed up to do what is really needed over here. Like many others over here, there is incoming, three pieces of our apparatus have motor damage.

KBR is a problem with our gear, parts, etc....but that is what happens in BUSINESS when you have to rely on the parent company to give you what you need. The child is always secondary.

Lastly.........sorry so long...........remember that the Hiarchy in Baghdad reads along with all this. TRUST ME. Some care, some are just like a few of you out there, whinning, crying, but loving every other Friday!

No mater what, take care and be careful, get home, drink a cold one, and hug your better half and kids. They are what's important.

Thread Information