Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Forum Member

Smile Just remember ...

One day WE ALL MEET OUR MAKER!

And NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO JUDGE ... for absolutely NO REASON, RATIONALIZATION, OR EXCUSE AT ALL!

DO YOUR OWN THING, MAKE THE MOST OF IT, AND BE SAFE! Aren't you all just trying to do a job you love (who cares about the who, what, where, when, and why)?

Take care,
    ~ Kirsten

Default Off topic a bit but you caught my attention...

Originally posted by Rigin1
    The people I admire and pray for are those that signed up to protect our country for minimal pay and got sent to that hellhole and are doing things most of us would to scared to do.
    The people I admire and pray for are those that signed up to protect our country for minimal pay and got sent to Iraq for no good reason by the idiot in the White House instead. (While I also pray for the ones who signed up later knowing that they were going to Iraq, I can't say as I admire them nearly as much.)

As for WSI, I seriously considered applying but while the money that they were offering might well have justified the conditions in Iraq, it damn sure didn't come close to justifying leaving my family to fend for itself for a year while I was gone.

To any firefighter in Iraq I say, "Good luck and hang in there!" But I'll be damned if I'm going to feel sorry for any one of them who claims s/he didn't know exactly what s/he was getting into.

(In case you haven't guessed, count me as one in favor of a seperate forum for contract firefighters abroad.)
    Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 07-29-2005 at 05:40 AM.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Question Who asked for you to feel sorry?

Because the guys complain that WSI hasn't got their ***** together ... doesn't mean they're complaining for YOUR sympathy ... they're complaining for something to be done about it! How is NOT wanting to sit on their asses vs. wanting the right gear and equipment to do their job complaining?! And they chose to be "informative" for others ... it's called, "looking-out" ... and weighing "pros and cons". If you don't know exactly WHAT was provided by WSI via "information or contract" then how can you say we know what we got ourselves into?! And as far as CHOOSING to be away from families ... leaving us to fend for ourselves (which is VERY OVER-DRAMATIC statement) ... was NOT a decision made OVERNIGHT ... but again, that's OUR decision, OUR sacrifice, for OUR reasons! FYI: My husband doesn't miss A THING while he's gone ... technology is INCREDIBLE! And we're VERY close ... talk more NOW than we did while he was here! Missing him ... makes me love him more!

BRING ON THE SEPARATE FORUM ... whatever, go with the flow ...
    Have a good night,
    ~ Kirsten

Forum Member

Default Here's an idea

I would suggest that to take the venom out of these negative posters and not allow them to continue to feed their anger, we simply reply with a two word statement……
    I disagree

And then move on.
    That way it stays where it should, informative for those who want information.

Forum Member

Exclamation factsaboutIraq

How is "Seriously enough Iraq threads" supposed to be informative? Tacoma knew exactly what he was asking for when he started this ... which is why, he was even prepared for "retaliation"?! We're ALL adults ... if you can't take it, don't dish it out!? If you don't like the topic, don't read it!? So, we've vented, we've said our peace, and even requested a separate forum ... I think we've moved on! So now, what's this thread to be about? Continuous venting about not wanting "Iraq threads" ... that'll get boring too after a few pages ... Tacoma, what to talk about now???
    Where's the next "fire"?

Have a good and safe one,
    ~ Kirsten

MembersZone Subscriber

Precontrol PPV?

Forum Member

For some odd reason I feel the need to apologize. I guess I judged and I should not have. Does not mean that I have changed my veiw any.
    Simply stated, if you would have said " I am here supporting my troops, country....." or whatever, I might have been a little easier. Serving your country is eaxactly what our brave men and women do over here everyday. NONE of us have to do the herrendous things they do or put up with 1/3 of what they do. So, to me sir, and a good many others, you saying you serve your country by working for KBR/WSI is a complete insult and actually degrades our militaries intelligence. Do not sit there and say that by eating donuts and charging people for services that you are serving your country, supporting, is even a stretch, but tat is what it is, not serving.
    So I was wrong to jump the gun and say things I should not, but I am sorry, anyone over here working as as CIVILIAN is not serving their country. I do not care who you are.
    As far as the money thing........NONE of us would be here if it were not for the money. If so then you are saying that you would take this job for 25k a year and pay taxes on all of it.
    Ever heard the saying, "you cannot BS a BSer" Well buddy, WSI did a number on several of us over here, you are now where close to being able to BS me. Serve my country and did not do it for the money. This whole thing is about money. SO to say you are here for any other reason in nonsense. Either that or you were not qualified to get a job back in the states anywhere.

Something to think about...............

Pickheadaxe

Forum Member

I have read enough of this horse crap. If you dont like it dont click on the link. That will solve all of your problems. I have seen numerouse threads that dont need to be on firehouse. There is nothing wrong with a couple of threads about Iraq. I do agree some of the threads about Iraq are stupid,there are some such as the thread that sandboxffwife basically started are very helpfull to the us in Iraq. So stop whynning about a couple of threads and get a life.

I got your back Kirsten!lol

Troy

Forum Member

Default The future....

If you look at the following info concerning the Iraq threads..

1. Number of threads
    2. Number of replys
    3. Number of views

You will see that they are very popular, good or bad they bring attention and hits.

If the fire service world its becoming well known. WSI, with the help of the internet, has created at least in the federal fire service world, the most complained about organization i have encountered in my 12 years of federal service. I have never seen anything like it. I can't speak for the municipal sectors.

I will admit, i will continue to follow the treads if for nothing but the entertainment value.

I agree with pickheadax to some degree. Most come for the money, but, there is some opportunity so do good for the Army i'm sure, but serving your country is not the main reason most go. Once in-country, I am sure that the patriotic spirit does get to some and reasons for staying may include that feeling of pride, being around young soldiers can do that to you.

Like it or not, and i know there is almost nothing one person can do to prevent it, but a negative lagacy is being created right here, and its being done by the firefighters, not WSI. It is the buzz among at least federal departments. We have had new people come over from stateside DOD departments and they follow the threads too. Like it or not, i think the negative posts have backfired. WSI is not being hurt, WSI is not a person, but there are persons who have to list WSI Iraq on their resumes. Like it or not, whether its me or not, when that resume is presented, that reputaion will come to mind.

Forum Member

Turnout ~ Out of 500+ firefighters working in Iraq a hand full of them post. Your saying your company would toss a resume because it says WSI FIREFIGHTER on it? A public FORUM is what YOUR company uses to decide if a firefighter should be hired or not? Please let me know if I'm not understanding what you are saying. If I'm not misreading, please let us know what company you work for so the guys won't apply to a company that sound much worse than WSI. Nobody should be judged on what is being said good or bad from a public forum. What if the HANDFULL of people did not even work for WSI and were just causing entertainment. Its just crazy to think any company would work like that and no one should work for a company that did.

Forum Member

Default BSFFWife

How true

I would like to know who he works for, because funny enough, WSI is the largest contract firefighting organization in the WORLD, and maybe he will be the one who comes looking for a job! Of course that won't be until all of the hardest work is done getting Iraq started up.
    Another point to be made is that most of the people that I have heard moaning and groaning are guess what???? That's right guys who have come from other contract jobs that they quit to come over here.

Go figure

MembersZone Subscriber

Default WSI Issues

To all of those who are whining (as some may call it) about WSI in Iraq. For one thing, when I signed up to come over here for 1 year, I did know what I was getting myself into. This was a decision that affected everyone, not just me, but most of all my family. For those who think that it was easy to leave, you are wrong. Do I regret my decision to come over here, sometimes when I talk with my children and they tell me about their ballgames or recitals that I have missed. The money is wonderful and the conditions aren't the best in the world, but I signed up for this. Now for the ones that say everyone is complaining, asking when the gear is coming so you can do your job safely, that is not whining or complaining. That is a FF wanting to do his/her job safely.

Yes, alot of us are here for the money. I came over here for the opportunity for an adventure and also to get some certifications that is almost impossible to recieve where I live.

WSI has issues here and back in the states, if you don't believe me, just take a look at eyeonwackenhut.com and you can see that they have problems in the states as well. So for those who are desiring what has been promised to them to do their job safely, I tip my hat off to you. I don't know if things will get better, but remember that all of us that are here, it was your own choice. There are many things that I disagree with that goes on over here, but I don't let it bother me. Just remember that when it is time for your letter of returning for a 2nd year, think of everything that has went on for the last year and make that decision with your family.

I welcome any comments on the above mentioned.

God Bless all of the Firefighters here in Iraq.

Forum Member

Default Geez....

You guys must be reading someone elses post or reading my "parts" of my post and then making a conclusion. Theres alot of truth to your words. Did i say i would not accept someone because of the posts? I said it come to mind, and i think about it. Geez.....

Forum Member

GEEZ???

You are saying that anyone that works for WSI in Iraq has a reputation just because of what a handfull of people post. Right? Help me out here. I'm still trying to figure this company out that you work for.
    Last edited by BSFFwife; 07-30-2005 at 11:45 AM.

Forum Member

You guys are off the chain.......

Read what the guy is saying here.......NO not everyone is going to be looked upon like that, but it will raise questions. And you guys say the whiners are bad. GEEESH........

As far as the biggest fire contract compnay in the world, well if all it takes is to hire 534 people and put the word firefighter in front of it, then I should try it. I have no clue about the biggest in the world, but I caan say that I have worked with volunteer departments that are way better than this place is operated. I come from a REAL department where we FIGHT fire, have real equipment to work with, and where gear is issued when you arrive for work on your first day. Not only that, but have officers that are a.) qualified to be there through their certs, or b.) have been with tht e department so long that they have earned we normal firefighters call "TOTJ", time on the job. Not one of the persons representing this depart. of it's admin have either. Speaking from experience from both a REAL depart. and thhis mickey mouse show over here, I would never leave another REAL department again for this oor any other contract.
    And for those of you who thin it is a select few, might want to think again. Just mainly those of us who have a little time in over here post. As well the gear thing, if only a hand full of people are MISSING GEAR, then why did a memo come down last week to SHARE GEAR so everyone can gain 16 hrs and have the oppurtunity to do equal work on the engines and such!!! Like I said, about 70% of our personnel are without grear.
    As far as some people coming back, in an email that I recieved today from a friend that does not want to come back but is, because he could not find something to fit his new "lifestyle" That is the catch folks, WSI pays you this money to spend it and get used to having it in your pocket or getting anything you want when you want it. Not to mention some people have to get the benis and such as well. I simply told him to get a new "lifstyle". As I have said before and will say till the day I die, I sold one year of my life to the devil, I will never do it again nor will most other people.
    No matter what anyone says, THESE ARE THE TRUTHS ABOUT what is going on over here. People are being forced to travel through a "death trap" just to fill out a couple sheets of paper. The do not greese yo before you get here, but they want to greese you before you leave. In a know website, the lead terrorist has said that the airport is his prime target, that does not seem to matter to our folks that do not have to travel outside of HQ on a regular basis, or they just get the ole, never get shot down mil ride!!!!
    Another thing, how many of you would consider child birth, abuse of a child noted by police, family memeber hospitalised, and so on a family emergency? What would you do if you were told no and not given a reason? Happens all the time here...........

Pickheadaxe

Forum Member

Default How many days is a couple

Pick,
    I disagree

Forum Member

Default I'll make this as simple as possible...

BSFFWife...

P E R C E P T I O N-does not have to be the truth or fact, its a human characteristic.

Like i said before, it sucks, its not fair but its life.

Scenerio, it happens in movies and real life: You have someone arrested and tried for a crime. He is aquitted. But, you know what, because of some of our human qualities, most people will never forget and always wonder, did he do it? Many will beleive he had a good lawyer and simply got off. It sucks, but its a part of being human. We can get ****ed about it, but what are we getting ****ed about, the perception or the person that mentioned the perception.

Or, we can do this...stand straight as possible, concantrate, bring all your strength to bear and slam your head into the sand as hard and fast as possible....That way you can't hear or see anything, so no problems. Take your pick.

Forum Member

Default Other middle east Fire departments...

For you guys info...

WSI Iraq is not the only Middle East Fire Contractor. Lets see..

1.Turkey-KBR (partnered with Vinnel I belive)
    2.Qatar-ITT
    Kuwait-CSA
    3.Bahrain-PAE Group-Middle East Fire Academy for Iraq Firefighters (and one DOD Fire Chief position)
    4.Saudi-Vinnel
    5.Uzbekisatan-KBR
    6.Afhganistan-KBR
    7.Egypt-AECOM (and one of its partners)

Its a big world. WSI simply did the biggest advertising campaign. The other contacts are mostly insider information because there are usually no problems getting qualified and certified people. Its understandable why any contract in Iraq would have trouble compared to the above.

MembersZone Subscriber

Turnout733,

I appreciate the time you took to list all of the other Fire Service Contractors that there are over in the Middle East.

I have heard others that have come from other contract Fire Fighting jobs and most have said that things here are different and could be better. I agree that they could be a whole lot better, but when you don't see any attempt other than words, it gets very frustrating. I still don't think that is whining, but we have the right to disagree.

I have a while to go with my contract and I will finish it out, I am hoping to get some gear soon, but if I don't then I just wait longer. It is not worth getting all upset about something that I cannot change. The ones that are more outspoken than others, they are being heard. The contract is still up in the air, even though it was suppose to be signed by the end of May. We will get through everything that is happening over here eventually.

BSFFWife, I think that we have talked before. Does it stand for Berrien Springs? Oronoko? Let me know.

Mr Blom, good seeing you on the forums.

Pickhead, relax man, your close to going home, don't rock the boat for all of us that still have alot of time left. Watch out for the twinkie man...

Forum Member

Default No problem

I never heard of half of these places till i arrive in the Middle east. Once you are aorund for a while, get your certifications alot of doors start opening up.

make your goal, look at it and don't let other peoples gripes pull you from that. I'm sure it sucks there but it will end, everyone can move on to bigger and better things. But whats going on can hurt alot of people.

The Kuwait, Turkey and Qatar contracts are pretty normal fire service contracts. Laid back countries, but with good tax free pay. Bahrai(PAE Group) has a contract where they train Iraqi firefighters who are sent over, then they return to Iraq. The contract in Egypt i hear has low pay compared to the rest of the Middle East because its in a nice place and they have zero problems recruiting. Saudi, well saudi is not a place i would want to go but the pay is comparable to the other contracts.

Most of the other middle east conatrcts go like this:

Expect to work 48-72 hours a week, $55k-65k a year tax free, housing and transportation paid, 2 plane tickets a year paid. Thats about the normal range for a firefighter. Its goes up with promotion of course.

www.dodfire.com usually has jobs posted.

Thread Information