Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber rualfire's Avatar

Default I15 - I80 To RENO

I'm gearing up for a trip to Reno sometime around the 21st of August. Tom Petty and The Black Crows are playing there on the 23rd.

My route will take me south through Alberta to the I15 in Montanta through Idaho and into Utah where I'm going to pick up the I80 and head west to Nevada and Reno. About 2300 km according to google maps

Anyone here from along this route?

Know any shortcuts?

Start - Calgary AB.

Default Re: I15 - I80 To RENO

Originally posted by rualfire

Know any shortcuts?
    Why yes.... A PLANE!!!!!

Just kidding, couldn't resist... I only tease you out of envy that I am not taking the same trip!

What... and miss out on 23 hours of driving.. no make that 46 hours... I have to come back too.

From Wendover Nev. to Sparks is a long yawner with nothing but high desert to see. Take some sunflower seeds to keep you awake. Also, make sure you have plenty of C.D.'s or tapes cause the F.M. radio reception is pretty much non existent through there unless you speak Spanish.
    One other thing. Be careful, that stretch of road is notorious for having some pretty wicked grinders (not the sandwich), be careful.
    Have fun. -sno
    IAFF

Originally posted by snowball
    Be careful, that stretch of road is notorious for having some pretty wicked grinders (not the sandwich), be careful.
    Have fun. -sno

Sorry for the silly question(s)

What is a grinder? Both the sandwich and the bad thing on the road?

Originally posted by rualfire

Sorry for the silly question(s)

What is a grinder? Both the sandwich and the bad thing on the road?
    Sorry Bro, a "grinder" is a term we use for a really bad accident. Kinda like a meat grinder.

I'm from the west coast so any eastie can correct me. I think a grinder is like a sub sandwich.
    IAFF

grinder, sub, hoagie...etc etc etc....different names, same thing...meat, veggies, cheese between bread
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Originally posted by LeuitEFDems
    grinder, sub, hoagie...etc etc etc....different names, same thing...meat, veggies, cheese between bread
    You forgot torpedo!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Ohhhh Grinder... I see. I'll be carefull. Last time I came back from Vegas, we came via area 51... That back road into Salt Lake was pretty desolate. I don't like anyone's chances of golden hour service in that part of the state..

Weird how a few hundred miles makes such a difference in terminology..

When south I try to order a rye and coke and get deer in headlights look from the bartender. Then I try to explain.. "You know, rye whiskey"... I ussually get scotch, or bourbon... Then when I ask for Canadian whiskey, or Crown Royal, or whatever brand I see on the glass shelf behind them I finally get the right stuff. Its usually followed by "you aren't from around here are you"...

Another strange term I've come across

Sack. Ss in "Would you like that beer in a sack"? A sack as I know it is a burlap or possibly nylog woven bag sewn at one end, generally used in the agriculture industry. I am acustomed to hearing "Would you like that beer in a bag"?

Weird...

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo

You forgot torpedo!
    Well, you eastern Mass folk name everything with weird names Hell, just look at all the names of the towns down by the Cape...
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Thread Information