Thread: New Dispatcher

Forum Member

Default New Dispatcher

Do you all have any helpful tips for a newbie. I just signed on with the local VFD and am starting out in dispatch. The chief told me to start there and if I enjoy it, then they will send through the 36 hr academy. Any advice is great advice thanks. Feel free to email me with advice at mcknis@yahoo.com.

Thanks,
    Scott

MembersZone Subscriber

Try to learn all you can about that aspect of the job. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Use this opportunity to get to know your community and the appropriate alarm assignments. Learn where your hazards are and the differences in the water supply between the various areas. All of these things will help you in the future. This is also a good time to get to know the various terms and codes that are required. Visit other websites such as APCO, NENA, and IMSA to gather information on dispatching. Don't get discouraged if you don't understand everything overnight. I'm not sure how your dispatching works, but hopefully they have someone assigned to mentor you in this task and/or have some handouts prepared that give you some of the material you'll need to learn. Good luck!

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Default Mistakes

If you make a mistake on the radio just correct yourself and dont worry about it, trust me, it happens to all of us. One time I dispatched a EMS Unit on the County Frequency instead of the dispatch frequency. So everyone in Westmoreland County except for the people who were supposed to hear it heard me say "Radio Medic 516 E2 Trukeyville Borough 78 Female with Chest Pains." (NOTE: I made most of that up, but it was relatively close to what I said)
    Once you get the hang of it you'll be alright. Good Luck.

Forum Member

Ahhh.... I work for the large metropolitian dispatch centre here in melbourne and I always love it when we get border calls with the regional group dispatch...... Whenever we page/call them with a job and they acknowledge over the radio, they always seem to forget to switch channels and tone out over our primary dispatch channel...... I remember not too long ago this came up on my channel (And yes, "Poowong" is really the name of a town out here :P).... And remember, the person on the other end (@ poowong) sounds about 105 years old :P

"Vicfire, this is poowong"
    "Go Ahead poowong"
    "Acknowleding your call, the boys will be responding shortly"
    "Roger Poowong, advise and make sure they respond on this channel"
    "Affirmative....... BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP Poowong Pagers Poowong Pagers responding to.... blah blah... "
    "Poowong this is Vicfire, you've just toned out on our channel"
    "Oh, thanks pet, i'll flick the switch"

Nothing like being called Pet over the radio....... haha, gotta love it :P

Thread Information